2018 Bear Kill thread

tree cutter 08

Last week, on 2 separate days, I went on long loops through the woods scouting for bear sign. I saw TONS of red oak acorns on the ground and a bunch of deer sign on them. In about 11 miles of walking, I found a total of 3 white oaks that the bears had been up a few weeks ago, but nothing now. After evaluating my freezer situation, I really don't feel the need to kill anything right now. I don't want to kill anything just for the sake of killing.
What elevation are you finding reds? All the reds I've found have been lapped up. There was a good drop first week of bow season and they have all disappeared. There's some still in the trees hanging on that the squirrels are working on. None to really setup to hunt over.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
You are getting soft in your old age? ?
Oh, I'm definitely softer than I used to be.:LOL:

What elevation are you finding reds? All the reds I've found have been lapped up. There was a good drop first week of bow season and they have all disappeared. There's some still in the trees hanging on that the squirrels are working on. None to really setup to hunt over.

I don't think I've been much over 3000ft yet. Most everything has been from 2200 up to 2900. I walked a long razorbacked ridge that runs north/south last Monday that was absolutely covered in reds. Deer sign everywhere and squirrels working like crazy, but no fresh bear sign.:huh:

Buckman18

What little I’ve scouted this year points to much the same.... Red oaks under 3,000 ft.

Someone told me that there are a few reds over 4,000, but I’ve not been to check myself.