2018 Bear Kill thread

Killer Kyle

Great job, Treecutter!

I got one this morning also. Been saving this spot until the rifle hunt, it’s very hard to bow hunt effectively. Several red oak leads meet, and each one has a series or trails that join together. Kind of like Spaghetti Junction for bears. It’s really thick, though, making it tough to bow hunt. At daylight, had a shooter in the scope but only had a head shot. I thought it was going to move into a lane for a more open shot, but it turned and went out of sight. 30 minutes later, this boar came in silently from below me. Bear, hammer cock, BOOM! The 45-70 spoke. The bear dropped. Then the work began. Now im watching the Dawgs, drinking a Miller lite, and having a nize day.

Great work on a great bear Buckman! I'll bet that bear died before the bullet even struck when it heard that cannon BOOMMMM!!!

Killer Kyle

Got this sow bear on the rifle hunt this morning. Started out walking at daylight just easing along. Acorns we're raining down. Eased up the ridge until at choked down with ivys and and ran out of acorns and squirrels. Gut told me I needed to go lower and check few ridges over and try to find whites instead of reds. On the second ridge over I seen movement and knew it was either a hog or bear. Watched and eased in little closer and seen it was a bear. It's so thick this time of year so took me a few minutes to get few yards closer to get a better shot. She was under a white oak picking up what couldn't have been more than a handful. Shot through the shoulders with a 44 mag xtp. To my surprise she ran 50 yards before piling up. She left a blood trail a blind man could follow. Guess she was around 125 give or take. Glad to get one down after missing 2 with bow this season.

What is the story on you using a .44 mag Tree Cutter? That rifle in the pic isn't your Kimber MR, is it? Was the .44 your sidearm?

tree cutter 08

I got it in my head last year that a 44 mag would make a good short range woods gun. As much as I like a lever gun i just can't get past the idea of a stainless bolt gun for hunting. They are simple, easy to clean and fewer moving parts. So along came the ruger 77/44. Plus I got a stainless blackhawk with the 3 5/8 inch barrel that needed a companion. I really like it so far but yesterday was it's first trip to the woods and it done good. It's got a heck of a punch in its lightweight compact package.

Christian hughey

I know we are sharing bear stories but I took a weekend got my mind off of chasing bears and took my son on our annual youth hunt at big lazer wma. For 4 years now I've been making him just watch and aim, finally I let him pull the trigger and all of our hard work in the woods and on the range paid off. I couldn't be prouder. Now I can break my bow back out and get back to getting my bear.20180929_191215.jpg

Christian hughey

I got it in my head last year that a 44 mag would make a good short range woods gun. As much as I like a lever gun i just can't get past the idea of a stainless bolt gun for hunting. They are simple, easy to clean and fewer moving parts. So along came the ruger 77/44. Plus I got a stainless blackhawk with the 3 5/8 inch barrel that needed a companion. I really like it so far but yesterday was it's first trip to the woods and it done good. It's got a heck of a punch in its lightweight compact package.
44.mag rifle single shot new england arms was my first deer rifle, i still consider it my best option for deer or bear out to 100yds anything over that I break out the 270.

strothershwacker

I know we are sharing bear stories but I took a weekend got my mind off of chasing bears and took my son on our annual youth hunt at big lazer wma. For 4 years now I've been making him just watch and aim, finally I let him pull the trigger and all of our hard work in the woods and on the range paid off. I couldn't be prouder. Now I can break my bow back out and get back to getting my bear.View attachment 944659
That's great! Good first buck too! What caliper AR is he shootin? I bought one for my daughter to shoot because of the small size and low recoil but I'm an old dinosaur that's always shot a 30-06 and wonder if the .223 is up for the task of whitetail or bear. Whatever thatn' juniors got in the picture sure done the job!

Christian hughey

That's great! Good first buck too! What caliper AR is he shootin? I bought one for my daughter to shoot because of the small size and low recoil but I'm an old dinosaur that's always shot a 30-06 and wonder if the .223 is up for the task of whitetail or bear. Whatever thatn' juniors got in the picture sure done the job!
223. Winchester ballistic Silvertip tore him up. Not so sure I'd be up for shooting a bear with it but it did do more damage to the whitetail than expected so it could be up for the task. Great for kids in an AR platform because of the adjustable stock it fits their shoulder better than a long rifle.

GaSam

Enjoy seeing the pictures and reading about the hunts. Congrats to all you guys on getting bears and especially the young man on his buck! I am hoping to add one to the list next week on the Cohutta hunt.

twincedargap

we didn't ever pull the trigger on a bear this week, but did shoot this bear of a pig...
i-8x6SCNx-X2.jpg

Rabun

Wow...That is a beast! Would love to see the euro mount of that one! Serious tusks! Story? Congratulations TwinCedar on a fine boar!

twincedargap

Wow...That is a beast! Would love to see the euro mount of that one! Serious tusks! Story? Congratulations TwinCedar on a fine boar!

Thanks. It was shot at Chattahoochee. I was sitting with my son hoping to get his first bear. It Came up a ridge almost to a tree we had just 20 minutes before had a bear climb and bail on, I think after winding us. This porker came up the ridge about 70 yds from us, walking in and out of the waist high brush. My son shot it right behind the ear, dropped in its tracks. We both were thinking it was a another bear headed to the same tree as the earlier bear. Never expected a lone pig like this, certainly never seen a big boar pig w/cutters like this one. The tusks are amazingly sharp, cut my son's boot just as he barely brushed it lightly stepping over it to drag it into the opening for a picture. Its already at a taxidermist for a euro skull. Can't wait to see it, should have it later this week.

Rabun

Sweet! Congrats to your Son for putting the smack on him...didn't give him a chance! Glad you got him on a mountain trophy...not the species you were after, but there's plenty of time left to bag his bear. That's one of the baddest hogs I've seen (y)

Buckman18

That hog has a lot of Russian in him. Several years back, several dog hunters, a few I might be kin to, from the NC and GA mountains brought them in, and they make for a great rally. They will flat cut a dog in half.

Killer Kyle

Awe
we didn't ever pull the trigger on a bear this week, but did shoot this bear of a pig...
i-8x6SCNx-X2.jpg
Awesome kill twincedargap! That is a beast of a boar! What is that rifle your son used?! Buckman and myself scored with lever actions this week (his was a .45/70 and mine was a .30-30). I'm glad to see the levers getting a workout!!! Awesome pig man!!

twincedargap

Awe

Awesome kill twincedargap! That is a beast of a boar! What is that rifle your son used?! Buckman and myself scored with lever actions this week (his was a .45/70 and mine was a .30-30). I'm glad to see the levers getting a workout!!! Awesome pig man!!

He was using my 40 yr old .30-.30 while I was toting my new anniversary present, an 1895G .45-70. I’ve got the best wife ever, let me get it a week early so I could use it on the special rifle season.