2018 Clover Thread, The Gift That Keeps On Giving

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You've got a green thumb, elfiii!

It ain't me Canuck. I only promoted from tractor driver to tractor operator a couple of years ago. My thumb is starting to turn but it ain't green just yet.

It's the dirt, soil moisture, amount of daily direct sun, 0-20-20, lime, Buck Forage Oats and Durana and Patriot clover seed. All I did was arrange the meeting.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
No, it's the Blue tractor, elfiii ..... don't let that secret get out!!!

Triple C

Talk about clover! Here's my new clover plot. It's good bottom dirt that slopes downhill from left to right. The creek is just off the right side of the plot. I was hoping it would do well and it has exceeded my wildest expectations. I hit it with the Clethodim last weekend to knock back the rest of the BFO and grass so I can't wait to see it in a couple of weeks.

View attachment 969949View attachment 969950
elfiii...You did good! Great looking clover plot! You'll be feeding them just bout year round with that plot.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
elfiii...You did good! Great looking clover plot! You'll be feeding them just bout year round with that plot.

Thanks Trip. I don’t know why I have waited so long to plant this plot in clover. It’s the perfect plot for it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Bump because it's almost time. :biggrin2:

Canuck5

Probably this weekend for me, too!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yes it is, I’m planning to spray all my clover for grass tomorrow!!

I hit mine two weeks ago with the last of my Poast. All it did was make the bermuda and crab grass mad. Got some clethodim inbound on my position. :bounce:

Speaking of, is it OK to mix Clethodim with 24Db so I get everything with one application??

davidhelmly

I hit mine two weeks ago with the last of my Poast. All it did was make the bermuda and crab grass mad. Got some clethodim inbound on my position. :bounce:

Speaking of, is it OK to mix Clethodim with 24Db so I get everything with one application??
Lee I have tank mixed those 2 with no problems but I’ve heard of people killing their clover by mixing them.

Ihunt

It should be ok. I do it all the time on clover and alfalfa.

I saw in an earlier post where you used some fertilizer that had some nitrogen in it. Even though it was an 8 that’s what caused your grass explosion.

For anyone close to the Macon area, Mintons carries most all fertilizers. 0-20-20, 0-46-0, 0-0-60. And the typical 5-10-15 and 10-10-10. Call ahead though. At times he runs out.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Lee I have tank mixed those 2 with no problems but I’ve heard of people killing their clover by mixing them.

I may apply them separately. I got a righteously unbelievable stand of clover right now and it's Dog Days and the deer are hammering it so I don't want to take a chance.

Triple C

I saw in an earlier post where you used some fertilizer that had some nitrogen in it. Even though it was an 8 that’s what caused your grass explosion.
Very interesting comment on using fert with nitrogen. I normally spread a good dose of 19-19-19 on mine around end of Sep or early Oct when we planting fall plots cause that's what we put on our fall/winter plots and just easier to do. Never really thought about the unneeded nitrogen I was throwing on the clover. No wonder I battle grass every summer in my clover plots. It'll be 0-20-20 from here on out. Appreciate the input.

Ihunt

Very interesting comment on using fert with nitrogen. I normally spread a good dose of 19-19-19 on mine around end of Sep or early Oct when we planting fall plots cause that's what we put on our fall/winter plots and just easier to do. Never really thought about the unneeded nitrogen I was throwing on the clover. No wonder I battle grass every summer in my clover plots. It'll be 0-20-20 from here on out. Appreciate the input.

Yep. Want to guess how I figured it out? The old school of hard knocks.

I know it would be a drive for some of y’all but if you call Mintons in Macon and give them a heads up they can get you bagged 0-20-20.

Good luck everyone.

oochee hunter

For you guys north, athens seed has bagged 0-20-20. I drove all the way up earlier just to get some. Never heard of Minton,s. Much closer for me, so I will find them.

Canuck5

And at most places, if you give them a few weeks notice, they will be happy to get in what you need.

Ihunt

Just called Mintons and got a price on some fertilizer.
0-45-0 is $25.00 a bag and so is 0-0-60.

Just a little heads up.

Their number is 478-788-5962.