2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

Buford_Dawg

OK, OC hunters, 2018 is upon us. Lets keep our friendly hunting reports going. We have a great group of guys that hunt in OC that keep our OC threads updated frequently.

I have not hunted in Jan. 2018 as I am fighting Bronchitis, but my 2 clubs in OC are producing some late season does to some of our members. Couple of does killed on my SC club and 3 does taken in the last week on my clouds creek club. Hunters are reporting seeing good late season deer movement on these extremely cold mornings. Personally, I am ready to get some rabbit hunting and some deer and turkey scouting going on as soon as deer season ends this coming weekend. Looking forward to a great 2018 season in OC.

transfixer

I'm going to do my best to get to the lease this weekend, supposed to be raining thurs and fri I believe, but sunny on Sat and Sun, hope I can get a couple more sits in before its over, and then I'll set our feeders back up so they'll have something to tide them over for the next couple months. Couple of our guys didn't even hunt this year, and those of us that did have been very selective, so we're going to have a lot of carryover for next year, including a couple nice ones we know of , (unless I get extremely lucky this wknd) lol, but I'm hearing of some bucks already dropping antlers , so that has me a little concerned about what I might see. Who knows ?

Buford_Dawg

Shedding already

Transfixer, I found a fresh shed on my CC club the week before Xmas. It was a 1.5 YO, 3 point on the side I found. I informed my club members. I think those still hunting for does has been very cautious before they pulled the trigger.

transfixer

Dang ! that's awful early to find a shed, wonder what the reason is ? I swear I don't remember finding any before Feb years ago ,, maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough? And the state keeps considering making the season longer ,, especially for archery ,facepalm:

Todd E

Year after year, bucks have started dropping around 12/21. Visually and on trail cam. I am opposed to any extensions of our already too long season.

Triple C

Always great to see the next year's OC thread started and look forward to contributing throughout the year. Looks like we will end the season without a single buck harvest from our place this year. This will make the 2nd year no bucks have been taken. Got several nice up n comers that are so tempting but happy to report that trigger control has prevented a harvest. Fairly confident we have a 4.5 yr old that if all goes as planned, will make it thru as the 1st 5.5 yr. old we've had on our place. Could get hit by a car, succumb to disease, suffer an injury, get poached, etc., so a lot has to go right for him to make it. After 7 seasons of improving habitat on our place, it would be nice to harvest a really mature buck beyond 3.5 yrs old. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how things play out as the year progresses.

Planted more acres than ever this past fall. All are doing well and are being utilized daily. Sometimes I question my sanity when I think about how much money we spend doing this stuff. But in the end, we enjoy it as much as the hunting.

Since every body likes pics, here's a few pics of our food plots that will keep the critters happy thru the rest of winter. Planted more perennial clover than any other year so should have plenty of forage available until time to plant next fall.
IMG_4759.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

12250019.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

jbird1

Beautiful plots!...I'm sure the critters have your place marked on their GPS.

Buford_Dawg

Yep...

Great food plots CCC. Ours at SC are in great shape, but the ones on my CC club never did much. No rain after planting hurt them badly.

Triple C

Great food plots CCC. Ours at SC are in great shape, but the ones on my CC club never did much. No rain after planting hurt them badly.

Thx BD! I'll give timely rains the credit for our plots. 2016 was a whole different story. Wore desert camo near plots in 2016.

Arrow3

Glad to see the 2018 thread taking off. I had kinda planned on hunting this evening but I doubt I'll go. Just really over deer season. I filled my freezer nicely with a couple of big does and a 157lb pig.

No buck kill for me again this year but it's just because none I saw tickled my fancy. I probably saw close to 50 different bucks on 3 different properties (1 being in oconee).

I didn't see hardly any turkeys during deer season which concerns me greatly.

Tine to finish up duck season and start running my coon dogs again now that the deer hunters will be gone. Looking forward to hearing a rabbit race and a gobbling turkey bird in the next few months.

Oh yeah I may go try and kill one more deer for a coworker.

Todd E

I just never can let the last day close w/o me in the woods.
Slipped off to OC mainly looking for pigs. Next thing I know, it's the last 30 mins of light and Ive seen five bucks.
So, I ended the season with a buck in the truck. Been a memorable season to say the least. 3 bucks 3 does Freezer is full. Swine time.

Buford_Dawg

Was a good year for you Todd

I also hunted yesterday, mostly for coyotes. Saw deer but no Yotes. Gonna rabbit hunt some next few weeks hopefully.

Triple C

I spend way too much money giving them a happy place to live n plenty to eat. I fail miserably on pulling the trigger on em. I kinda like it that way. It’s all about what brings you joy. Observing and occasionally on rare occasion, releasing an arrow does me just fine as I’ve gotten older.

Arrow3

I finished up deer season with another fat doe. Also went and killed a few more ducks this weekend.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1516031045666.jpg
    FB_IMG_1516031045666.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 713
  • FB_IMG_1516030827921.jpg
    FB_IMG_1516030827921.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 713

Buford_Dawg

Good deal Arrow...

What camera are you using and is it attached to your gun? What few times I have hunted after Xmas, the duck hunters have been wearing it out, the first 15 minutes or so of daylight. All around me, up and down clouds creek and up and down Hwy 22 towards Lexington.

Arrow3

What camera are you using and is it attached to your gun? What few times I have hunted after Xmas, the duck hunters have been wearing it out, the first 15 minutes or so of daylight. All around me, up and down clouds creek and up and down Hwy 22 towards Lexington.

Its the tactacam 4.0

jbird1

Sweet!....always thought those gun mounted cams were cool. You gonna try and film a Spring Gobbler?