2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

jbird1

My son and I rode up to Firetower yesterday to pick up some jerky and summer sausage. We didn't have time to hunt but slipped by camp for a few minutes. It's been a long time since I've seen the ground that saturated. We didn't want to leave of course. We may try and get a couple hunts in between Christmas and New Years...it's a LONG wait until next season. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

revans4661

Just settled in for my first sit in about a month. Pulled my card and had hogs, turkeys, and numerous deer. A decent amount of daytime movement through yesterday. I want to complain about the wind, but it's finally not raining and I'm in the woods! Hard to believe it's starting to wind down. Feels like we just started...

Triple C

A buddy wanted some fresh pork se we went on a pig killing mission this past weekend. Brooks' buddy brought his 8 yr old son down Saturday afternoon. Sent them to the south end of property near swamp and told em I would be sitting by the fire pit listening for shots. Bought 5:15 it was a full-on assualt. Must have been 5 or 6 rounds fired from his 30-30. And his dad got in on the action as well. All in all bought 8 or 9 shots fired within 5 minutes.

Buford Dawg's buddy was hunting across the dirt road on the adjoining property and could hear all the action. He text'd me and asked if he needed to bring more bullets. o_O Brooks was bow hunting and whacking them as well. All in all...5 pigs dead and 3 of em sent to buddy that wanted fresh pork. Here's a pic of the lil fellar posing with his porker. (Took his orange vest off for photo).
IMG_1526.jpg

Brooks was whacking and stacking them from another stand. Shot a huge boar and we sent it home to his buddy that wanted pork.
IMG_1523.jpg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I notice that the “mature” looking fella is dressed too fancy to be a pall bearer for any pigs.
You must have been in charge of supper::ke:

Triple C

I notice that the “mature” looking fella is dressed too fancy to be a pall bearer for any pigs.
You must have been in charge of supper::ke:

You got that right! Let them do all the hunting and I did the cooking. Any of you guys viewed the "Mississippi Roast" thread in Paymaster's...I tried my 1st one Saturday night. Simply amazing and the easiest recipe in the world. It ate good. This was about halfway thru the cook.
IMG_1513 (1).jpg

Buford_Dawg

Those are some good size porkers there. Those things have pretty much taken over the county. What area of OC are you in Steven? We are on the north side, Sandy Cross, Palmetto, Glades and there is not anywhere up that way that doesn't have them in large numbers.

Steven037

Those are some good size porkers there. Those things have pretty much taken over the county. What area of OC are you in Steven? We are on the north side, Sandy Cross, Palmetto, Glades and there is not anywhere up that way that doesn't have them in large numbers.
We’re up 77 north of Vesta near Sanders BBQ. We’ve got tons of pigs. Trapped about 45 so far. We’re in the process of building a corral style trap to try to get more than 2/3 at a time.

Triple C

Brandon - How long you had that BLR? Never owned one myself but bought my son one back in 2011 in .308 and love shooting it.