2018 Poult Report

turkeykirk

Have seen 5 different hens in the last week. No poults yet. Wonder what effect all this rain (6 inches in the last week ) is gonna have on the hatch. Can’t be good.

fountain

Got a pic on 5/4 of a hen with some poults, but nothing since. Had several hen pics, but none with little ones visable. Pulled the camera this past weekend, so none visable with multiple hens after the one pic on 5/4

Hawken2222

Pulled my camera Saturday and had video of two hens with three poults. There could have been more poults but due to the taller grass I could of only see three. The date was 5-20 on the video.

bangbird

The news reported last night we've had the wettest May since 1976 and that's been surpassed since this morning’s rain (Charleston). Good thing it has not been all at once but somewhat spread out over the past 3 weeks. There's three hens with 6-7 poults each on a small farm my buddy lives on we are watching closely, but have not seen them in a few days. Last year they were all wiped out by heavy rain. These tremendous down pours we now get in May where it can rain 4-5 inches in a few hours just aren't normal. I believe the wet Mays we've had 4-5 years in a row is the number 1 contributor to our turkey population decline.

I saw a hen in my neighborhood last week which is very rare. She got hit by a car Monday. Turkeys are having a run of very bad luck.

ryanwhit

I believe the wet Mays we've had 4-5 years in a row is the number 1 contributor to our turkey population decline.

Yes, yes, yes.

It is not predators, hunters, blackhead, chicken litter, or any of the other things that hunters like to mention.

The sky is not falling, but the rain is.

chrislibby88

Spooked two hens with 10-12 poults between them about two weeks ago at Oaky Woods WMA. Poults scattered and fly in every direction.

Ricochet

Saw a hen with several poults last week near the Boeing entrance (N. Charleston, SC). Haven't seen her since and we did get a fair about of rain since then...I hope the poults survived.

Yes, yes, yes.

It is not predators, hunters, blackhead, chicken litter, or any of the other things that hunters like to mention.

The sky is not falling, but the rain is.

Agreed. Poults dying of exposure (rainy weather) is the #1 factor in the declining turkey population. Killing predators is helpful but Mother Nature is the #1 turkey killer.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Saw a hen with several poults last week near the Boeing entrance. Haven't seen her since and we did get a fair about of rain since then...I hope the poults survived.

Agreed. Poults dying of exposure (rainy weather) is the #1 factor in the declining turkey population. Killing predators is helpful but Mother Nature is the #1 turkey killer.

It's been a terrible 2 weeks for poults no doubt.

DRBugman85

Saw a hen with several poults last week near the Boeing entrance (N. Charleston, SC). Haven't seen her since and we did get a fair about of rain since then...I hope the poults survived.

THIS.☝ .After watching turkeys (50+ years)and the population go + are - is WEATHER + predators and progress of mankind . IMHO

turkeykirk

It's been a terrible 2 weeks for poults no doubt.

The rain has been pretty much state wide. Good for the farmers but not so good for the poults.

DRBugman85

Seen 7 hens on 2 leases this afternoon more poults than I could count not enough fingers. A few bitty size most could fly. Looking pretty good for next year.

chrislibby88

Was out hog hunting on the 16th and accidentally bumped two hens with a doze or so poults between them. They all scattered and the poults flew in every direction. Kinda cool to see, just hope they all found each other.

DRBugman85

Was out hog hunting on the 16th and accidentally bumped two hens with a doze or so poults between them. They all scattered and the poults flew in every direction. Kinda cool to see, just hope they all found each other.
Just sit down and listen turkeys talk,It great to hear them.They find the rest no problem,and so do predators.

ucfireman

Saw a hen in the road the other day, had something with it. I originally thought it was a buzzard eating roadkill but was a hen with something in tow. Nothing I can confirm in person or camera.