2019 Oglethorpe County

Buford_Dawg

Spent most of Friday and Saturday in OC, got bush hogging done and tree stands prepped on 2 of my clubs. Stands are already in place on the other club. So, we are good to go. Last thing is to tackle food-plots later this month. Got camp in order, so everything is good to go, gonna be back down Saturday week to sit in a stand somewhere with the crossbow if it not too hot. Hope all you OC'ers had a great labor day weekend.

jbird1

My oldest son and I got out to our primitive camp on Saturday for the first time since turkey season. On the way up, we saw legions of fellow hunters loaded down with supplies to get their camps, stands and plots going. We were greeted by the usual knee high weeds and gums upon arrival. It was nice and cool to start off and just being in camp had a soothing effect. After a few hours, we had base camp and the shooting lane scalped and ready for the trickle of hunters that will soon be showing up to camp. I always enjoy the feeling after giving camp it's annual haircut...just something about taking camp from "hairy" to clean that ushers in the excitement of the pending season. After washing down a few tables and cutting up an old pine that had fallen across one of the camp roads, we felt good about the day and headed out. I always dread having to leave...wish I could just stay forever. Maybe one day.

Triple C

Went down Sunday morning following and spent about 4 hours late Sunday afternoon and early this morning mowing all the interior roads. I love mowing on the tractor. It's like immediate gratification when you look back and see nice, clean strips where you mowed.

Also checked on the radish we planted last weekend following a heavy rain. Great germination with the radish in one week. Young n tender plants need some rain but looks slim in forecast. We'll broadcast abruzzi rye into the standing radish ahead of a rain event in early October. Deer still hammering clover. Count down to D-Day is here boys!
Lower plot radish II.jpg
Lower plot radish III.jpg

Lower plot radish IV.jpg

Arrow3

Spent Saturday morning cleaning out this old loading dock for a food plot. View towards feeder is sitting in my ladder. Yellow circle is where stand is. Super hidden. Had a decent 3 1/2 year old 9 pointer on camera that I'll target with my bow . This is on my Sandy Cross Land. Gonna plow and plant in early October.
Screenshot_20190903-174035_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190903-174125_Gallery.jpg

Buford_Dawg

Those Sandy Cross hogs may trash your feeder Brandon, we had 2 feeders like that knocked over and motors crushed over the last couple months around our camp. Afraid to put another out anytime soon :D

Arrow3

Those Sandy Cross hogs may trash your feeder Brandon, we had 2 feeders like that knocked over and motors crushed over the last couple months around our camp. Afraid to put another out anytime soon :D
I've seen some mud on trees. If they mess with me , I mess back and they won't like it ?

transfixer

Went to OC today, we could use a little rain over there ,,, maybe some of ya'll that live local could go wash your trucks ? or maybe do a little rain dance ? awfully dry ,, and quite hot ! I'm heading back next Fri afternoon for the weekend ,, I think its supposed to be a "little cooler " next weekend ? I hope anyway ! We scattered some seed on a couple food plots, hoping for at least a little rain this week to get them going ,,,,,

Buford_Dawg

Any of you OC'ers gonna brave the hot weather this weekend and get in the woods for the bow opener. I am debating it myself, the mornings may be cool enough for a 3 hour sit, but not sure I can handle the evening hunt. May just go to camp Friday after work, hunt the AM's and sit around camp with a fan blowing on me listening to the Dawgs and other college football games the rest of the day Saturday. Was also thinking about going to Athens to watch UGA, but that will be even more crazy hot. I am ready for some cool weather.

jbird1

Haven't picked up a bow in decades but remember those days fondly. Mid 90 degree temps use to be just another part of the challenge. With the York Mojave with "accelerator cams," you had to get em in REAL close....like directly under the tree close..haha. Nowadays, I REALLY appreciate cooler temps when hitting the woods and really can't get there until mid October these days anyway. Good luck to you fellas that hit the woods this weekend...love those early reports.

Todd E

@transfixer .... I have one customers yard that I can cut and cause it to rain. LoL
But its not on my schedule until next week. Sorry.

Evenings would be the better choice on these hot archery season days. I can't stand to miss an opener though. I haven't decided what I'm doing yet. I will be hunting. Just unsure where and if I'm sticking to my theory of evenings only.

transfixer

Well, I'm loading up this morning getting ready to head to OC sometime after lunch, picked up a couple of lightweight wicking shirts and a pair of lightweight pants yesterday at Academy, if it weren't for ticks and chiggers I'd probably try hunting in shorts ! lol,,, never done that in my whole time hunting ,,,, I'm questioning my sanity this morning, heading to the pine woods when its supposed to be 95 or so this afternoon ,,, :crazy: oh well ! Good luck for those of you who are crazy as I am to hunt this weekend !

Hughy

Getting some much needed rain in the OC tonight!!
Good luck tomorrow guys. Hope to see some kill pics posted tomorrow. I’ll be out there in the pm.