2019 Oglethorpe County

Arrow3

Back home tonight from Kentucky. Hunting, camping, eating way to much and there may have been an alcoholic beverage or 2 consumed in our camp ?

Unfortunately tag sandwiches don't taste very good. I was close a time or 2 but those birds are no joke on Land between the lakes. Coulda, woulda, shouldas don't count.

My buddy Haven did kill a nice fat 2 year old.

I think for next years trip we are gonna do a hunt for Rios somewhere.

Todd E

I think for next years trip we are gonna do a hunt for Rios somewhere.

I'm torn. Been considering Rios, but want to go for an Osceola. The place I wanted to go with a buddy is booked for 2020 and 2021. Their hunters pretty much experience 100% success. I've reached out to another place. FL is more close than TX, I think. LoL

Arrow3

We are looking more into the public land route unless one of my contacts out west can hook me up.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Got outsmarted this morning with a buddy (same guy that I called the bird up for on the day I killed my 3rd bird) he gobbled at 6:20am and didn't fly down until 8:25am across the creek from us. Smart ol rascal! Heard another bird a little bit off. If we would have known this one was gonna be so difficult we could have went after the other one, non the less we had a good time and it was good hearing a bird gobble!

Buford_Dawg

Hunted both AM's this weekend, heard 2 birds off the property on Saturday, they gobbled good, but nothing on Sunday. Was a great weekend to be hunting. We doing some summer foodplots this coming weekend on my SC club, so gonna be back down helping the other members do that.

Todd E

Saturday week and this past Saturday.......sat at the Gobbling Freak location. Zero gobbling. No activity. Guess he may have passed over the rainbow bridge. GWs have really been out this past weekend.

Triple C

And a PSA for you out of towners.......don't speed in OC.
The whole county. LoL. New sheriff. Deputies doing their jobs now.
Yep! Got pulled over on Wolfskin. Never noticed that Wolfskin is 45 mph speed limit all the way to county line. I know now. These days set my cruise control to 52. Son got a ticket on 77N.

Buford_Dawg

Yes Todd, they sit at the intersection at Sandy Cross store frequently, speed limit drops to 35 suddenly, perfect place to get a ticket.

transfixer

Thanks for the heads up about the sheriff's dept, life's been getting in my way and I haven't been up to the lease since Jan, I guess the county commissioners are on the Sheriff to raise some revenue, I hate to hear that, its never good when they devote more time to writing speeding tickets instead of patrolling areas known for crime and drug use. I quit driving through Watkinsville years ago because Sheriff Berry was determined to have his guys write as many tickets as they could over in that area. Can't quit driving through Oglethorpe though, :)

Triple C

There's a fine line between patrolling for aggressive driving/speeding and running what's viewed as a speed trap. Just my honest .02 cents worth but feel like they are getting close to the speed trap arena. Lots and lots of tix being written in OC. I'm just a weekender there so perhaps Todd, Brandon or other locals can weigh in with their thoughts. I once paid little attention to my speed on Hwy 77 or Wolfskin Rd. I do now. Perhaps that's not a bad thing. I remember times when turning right off of Hwy 77 on to Hwy 78 heading toward Lexington was nerve racking if a vehicle came barreling over the hill at 70 in a 45. Think folks have certainly got the message. I have.

transfixer

There's a fine line between patrolling for aggressive driving/speeding and running what's viewed as a speed trap. Just my honest .02 cents worth but feel like they are getting close to the speed trap arena. Lots and lots of tix being written in OC. I'm just a weekender there so perhaps Todd, Brandon or other locals can weigh in with their thoughts. I once paid little attention to my speed on Hwy 77 or Wolfskin Rd. I do now. Perhaps that's not a bad thing. I remember times when turning right off of Hwy 77 on to Hwy 78 heading toward Lexington was nerve racking if a vehicle came barreling over the hill at 70 in a 45. Think folks have certainly got the message. I have.

I imagine they'll be racking up this fall, when all the Dawg fans come down 78 from out South Carolina way, its funny how some county Sheriffs depts sit back and target speeders , and others don't, my stepson works for a metro county sheriff's dept, and when he was in the uniform patrol division they were not encouraged to write speeding tickets, unless it was a blatant situation, they didn't sit and wait on speeders, they patrolled areas known for crime and drug traffic, most all of his traffic stops were dui or expired tag or license, many of which ended up with arrests for possession with intent to distribute drugs, his commanders didn't want a bunch of paperwork for minor speeding offenses.

Todd E

OC used to be a free for all. Drive however you wanted and hope you didn't meet a GSP. It's a whole new gig now.

Arrow3

Actually I'm a big supporter of our sheriff. He's cleaning the county up in my opinion. As far as speeding goes he swears he has instructed his deputies not to write a speeding ticket unless you are traveling more then 15 mph over the speed limit. That's pretty fair if you ask me.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Bitter sweet ending to the season today! I had a feeling the bird that had outsmarted me on a few hunts this year was one I have had pics of for 2 years. I solely hunted this bird last year and it cost me! This year I didn't focus as much on him but still wanted to see him get his beak crushed, well this morning my buddy crushed him! Beautiful OC bird. 1 9/16" spur (the other one was broken)IMG_5101.PNGIMG_5102.PNGIMG_5103.PNGIMG_5104.PNGIMG_5101.PNGIMG_5102.PNGIMG_5103.PNGIMG_5104.PNG

Triple C

Actually I'm a big supporter of our sheriff. He's cleaning the county up in my opinion. As far as speeding goes he swears he has instructed his deputies not to write a speeding ticket unless you are traveling more then 15 mph over the speed limit. That's pretty fair if you ask me.

Yep. I've just become much more conscious of my speed these days. Came home this morning and set me cruise to 50 on Wolfskin. 2 years ago I never even paid it any attention.

Todd E

Turkey hunted Kentucky from Wednesday afternoon through Sunday am. This trip made me appreciate OC birds and SGA birds even more. Whew. Had a great time on the trip with a long time friend. Rained doggone near everyday. First time I've had to cross a swollen.. swift.. creek, as only access to a spot. Water up to our privies. Fighting the current using a stick for support. Pretty stupid move, but turkey hunting is a disease. Pic shows normal stage while scouting. First hunt attempt, found it bank to bank and roaring. Way to deep to even consider. This morning, we just went for broke. Walked 125 yards up creek from ford. Second pic is an actual county dirt road that fords a creek twice and then runs up the bed for a spell.

59350670_2354583097906911_4813094502568820736_n.jpg59106200_2357394810959073_1673649438427447296_n.jpg58852859_2355345444497343_6491550864098983936_n.jpg59301713_2357387307626490_2792205170237243392_n.jpg