2019 Oglethorpe County

Triple C

Just got home after spending Friday n Saturday nite at the farm. Son left for CO chasing elk on Friday so I was solo. Shoulda called one of you guys to help me out this weekend. I dropped by son's place on the way to the farm and loaded up a Rivers Edge archer's ladder stand, got to the farm and proceeded to put that thing together. Holy cow!!! Finally got it all assembled n then Saturday morning decided at 63 and working out fairly regularly I could hoist that thing up a tree without any help. Found the perfect tree...started walking it up and then it got hung up in limbs bout 3/4 up. Tried to walk it back down but bottom ladder section started lifting off the ground at base of tree. Short story...I let er go bout half way down and now have a nice, warped, new ladder stand. Stood that sucker back up and finally got it positioned. Then...trying to strap that thing to the tree. Whole nother story.

I'm done doing these things by myself. But...enjoyed my time in OC as I always do. Daughther n grandkids came down saturday afternoon and we chowed down on a couple of Striplin's prime ribeyes. All good!

Arrow3

Just got home after spending Friday n Saturday nite at the farm. Son left for CO chasing elk on Friday so I was solo. Shoulda called one of you guys to help me out this weekend. I dropped by son's place on the way to the farm and loaded up a Rivers Edge archer's ladder stand, got to the farm and proceeded to put that thing together. Holy cow!!! Finally got it all assembled n then Saturday morning decided at 63 and working out fairly regularly I could hoist that thing up a tree without any help. Found the perfect tree...started walking it up and then it got hung up in limbs bout 3/4 up. Tried to walk it back down but bottom ladder section started lifting off the ground at base of tree. Short story...I let er go bout half way down and now have a nice, warped, new ladder stand. Stood that sucker back up and finally got it positioned. Then...trying to strap that thing to the tree. Whole nother story.

I'm done doing these things by myself. But...enjoyed my time in OC as I always do. Daughther n grandkids came down saturday afternoon and we chowed down on a couple of Striplin's prime ribeyes. All good!
I'm probably 5 minutes away. If im at home I'd be more then glad to help you. You have my number.

Buford_Dawg

Dang AC. Yell next time, if I am down, we will take care of it. All I saw this AM in Sandy Cross was 2 Coyotes. Wish I had a rifle :D

transfixer

I came to the conclusion last year that I was done doing things like that on my own, I'm just not flexible enough anymore, and with two bum knees, I usually have to get one of the other guys to help me with putting up ladders and such,

We had a pretty decent weekend in OC even though it was rather hot during the day, I saw quite a few deer, but nothing I wanted to shoot, two of the other guys saw deer as well, its still very dry over at our place, the rain friday night didn't do much but sprinkle it seems much past Crawford, I'm hoping for rain in the next couple days out our way, I scattered some more seed today, one good by product of the loggers was they really churned up the ground in quite a few places, and I'm trying to make use of them.

jbird1

Guys...I will NEVER attempt to do that again by myself. EVER! Too old for that. Shoulda waited for Brooks to get back or called one of you guys. Not smart for a 63 yr old to be attempting such a thing without the help of someone else.

It happens. I'm sure you suffer from the same affliction as I do...we're still 18 and bulletproof in our minds. Even after hernias, shoulder surgery, herniated disks, meniscus tears, I still overestimate my abilities sometimes and end up paying for it in some manner or fashion (physically or financially... or both) and I'm only 45. I'm starting to finally learn where to draw the line though. You must have good genetics if you've made it to 63 going full bore, no holds barred and are still throwing ladders up solo. I remember seeing a 4 wheeler technique sometime back on here that looked like a good idea. But I agree, waiting for backup in the future is a prudent idea for the heavy jobs.

transfixer

It happens. I'm sure you suffer from the same affliction as I do...we're still 18 and bulletproof in our minds. Even after hernias, shoulder surgery, herniated disks, meniscus tears, I still overestimate my abilities sometimes and end up paying for it in some manner or fashion (physically or financially... or both) and I'm only 45. I'm starting to finally learn where to draw the line though. You must have good genetics if you've made it to 63 going full bore, no holds barred and are still throwing ladders up solo. I remember seeing a 4 wheeler technique sometime back on here that looked like a good idea. But I agree, waiting for backup in the future is a prudent idea for the heavy jobs.

I'm just 58, but the last couple years has forced my mind to catch up to my body , in terms of what I think I can do, as far as what I "want" to do I'm still in my late 30's, but thats just dreaming,,, lol

I'm working up plans in my head on rigging up some kind of hoist to mount on my golf cart, with an arm that will swivel and using a boat winch to lift deer with, trying to load an animal that weighs over 100lbs was a lot easier when I was younger,,,, I saw one on here a while back someone made, and it got me to thinkin,

jbird1

I'm just 58, but the last couple years has forced my mind to catch up to my body , in terms of what I think I can do, as far as what I "want" to do I'm still in my late 30's, but thats just dreaming,,, lol

I'm working up plans in my head on rigging up some kind of hoist to mount on my golf cart, with an arm that will swivel and using a boat winch to lift deer with, trying to load an animal that weighs over 100lbs was a lot easier when I was younger,,,, I saw one on here a while back someone made, and it got me to thinkin,

Leverage & Angle...Leverage & Angle..:bounce:
Up until a couple of seasons ago, I would stand on the back rack of the 4-wheeler and drag a good sized buck up onto the rack (gutted of course.) I'm liking your idea more and more these days!

Buford_Dawg

ToddE has one of the neatest inventions to load deer and pigs and other heavy objects on his 4 wheeler. I am sure yall have seen it with his hog pictures. Just turned 56 myself and thanks to my 2 sons I usually have lots of help with the heavy tasks. Sometimes they have other things going on like girls, sports, etc... :):) so I have several long time hunting buddies there to help me if needed. I will gladly help any of you guys down that way if I am available, just yell. During the season, you can count on me being around every Friday thru the weekend. No reason to hurt or overdo yourselves with the hobby we all love.

I need yall's thoughts on this situation. Not sure of the legal rules. Can you take a rifle or AR-15 into the woods during bow season and sit in a stand HOG hunting? I know in the past, it was pretty much a NO NO to have a weapon other than a bow or crossbow during bow season, but with the explosion of the hog population around the state, what is the legal ruling of DNR?

jbird1

I won't tell anybody BD!... Knock em down!!:wink:
No...not sure about that scenario either. I'd be interested to know as well.

transfixer

I was wondering the same thing this past weekend, as I had taken my .300BO with me to the club this weekend, I'm pretty sure we can't carry a rifle and a bow with us at the same time, but if we don't have a bow or crossbow with us, and we don't have any deer lure on us or hanging in the area where you are hunting , then I don't see why we couldn't hog hunt ? of course it would probably help if we are hunting over a feeder with hog tracks present, or hog rooting evident ?

Todd E

Here is the honest truth.. from a hog hunter.. verified with ranger.

On private land and with proper licenses, you can go sit in a stand hog hunting with a rifle during archery season. You cannot have a bow with you at the same time. Why? Because you are hog hunting only. You cannot do both.

I have done it for years.

Buford_Dawg

Here is the honest truth.. from a hog hunter.. verified with ranger.

On private land and with proper licenses, you can go sit in a stand hog hunting with a rifle during archery season. You cannot have a bow with you at the same time. Why? Because you are hog hunting only. You cannot do both.

I have done it for years.

Good to know. Exactly what I was looking for.

transfixer

Hey Guys,
I am trying something I've never thought much about before, this past weekend I placed a shallow plastic tub ( about 6 inches deep ) about 10yds away from one of my feeders, filled it with water, it held about 7 gallons, I'm going to place a camera on it and see if the deer start drinking from it, I should have done this earlier in the summer, just never got around to it, as dry as our place stays until late Oct or so, I wonder if they will use it, this particular feeder is probably 6-700yds from the nearest water source.

I saw a video on youtube a few months ago about doing this, but the guy was using tubs a lot bigger, and even kiddie pools, I'll be able to check this one and refill it every week, or two weeks at the most. But I'm betting I'm going to have issues with Raccoons getting in it,,,,,

Don't know if its worth it ? or if it will work ? thoughts ?

Todd E

Hey Guys,
I am trying something I've never thought much about before, this past weekend I placed a shallow plastic tub ( about 6 inches deep ) about 10yds away from one of my feeders, filled it with water, it held about 7 gallons, I'm going to place a camera on it and see if the deer start drinking from it, I should have done this earlier in the summer, just never got around to it, as dry as our place stays until late Oct or so, I wonder if they will use it, this particular feeder is probably 6-700yds from the nearest water source.

I saw a video on youtube a few months ago about doing this, but the guy was using tubs a lot bigger, and even kiddie pools, I'll be able to check this one and refill it every week, or two weeks at the most. But I'm betting I'm going to have issues with Raccoons getting in it,,,,,

Don't know if its worth it ? or if it will work ? thoughts ?

Anything is worth it, if you enjoy it and it is of benefit.
It takes bedding, food, and water to hold deer. Without all three, you only get passing by deer. We can show you next door what no water means..........

transfixer

I think I'll pick up a couple more tubs and put them in different areas next trip, won't hurt, and the tubs don't cost much, the one I picked up was a mixing tub from TS, I think they're cheaper at Home Depot, and they have two sizes.

Triple C

Any of you guys ever look in the traditional archery section on here and know the name 'Al33', he's coming down to the farm this weekend to sling some arrows along with possibly dmwolfskin, who's another regular on the trad section. Anybody that wants to stop by around lunch time on Saturday to sit in the shade n maybe enjoy a cold beverage of your liking just shoot me a pm and let me know you're coming for a visit. I'll reply with directions. For general proximity, I'm located off Centerville Rd not too far from Hwy 77.

Buford_Dawg

Funny you mention that Transfixer, one of our members at BCR club has asked about placing some type of watering option such as a small childs pool. I really have no idea if it would work. As Todd points out, there is no water on our club there. I am planning on hunting BCR club Saturday AM, hoping this little cool spell that is supposedly coming in will help deer movement.

transfixer

Funny you mention that Transfixer, one of our members at BCR club has asked about placing some type of watering option such as a small childs pool. I really have no idea if it would work. As Todd points out, there is no water on our club there. I am planning on hunting BCR club Saturday AM, hoping this little cool spell that is supposedly coming in will help deer movement.

There are youtube videos by different people showing where it works, one guy who is supposed to be an expert in deer habitat, Whitetail Habitat Solutions, a lot of them say to bury the tub/pool/liner in the ground so it looks more natural, not sure I want to go to that much trouble, but I might.