2019 Oglethorpe County

fredw

Retired Moderator
Spent Friday morning with the folks who plow our plots. Got four existing plots plowed and added a fifth. We're holding off on planting until rain chances improve. It was 97 degrees according to the truck reading when I left. The truck and me were both covered in fine Oglethorpe red clay dust.

Spent Saturday morning with the replace part of building a roof over our porch at camp. The first part of the morning was nice. It sure got hot when the cloud cover moved out though.

We did have enough rain Friday night to settle the dust.

Arrow3

I had one of my target bucks on camera at 7:45 yesterday so I sat in this oven this afternoon. Had 2 does and a fawn within 20 yards for over a hout but I was only gonna fool with a good buck in this heat. It was about miserable out there.

Buford_Dawg

Well, it FINALLY appears it is going to cool down enough to feel good hunting. I will not hunt this weekend, but do plan on going to camp tomorrow and shooting my ML and my deer rifles to insure they are still ready to go this year. Then moving a deer stand and checking a couple of cameras. Just a day trip. It appears we will plant our plots next weekend finally.

transfixer

I'm planning on doing the same, need to shoot my Hawken as well, probably refill a feeder and pull memory cards, I've got to get some enthusiasm back for hunting, this weather has killed my enthusiasm, I'm just disgusted with it, and its not looking like we will have a normal October either , I had high hopes for this season, but not so much anymore.

Steven037

Went down this morning to sight in a couple rifles and check cameras. Beavers have been busy.

Attachments

• B7E1DD9D-F73E-4355-B0F4-5D4A9F5C335D.jpeg
    B7E1DD9D-F73E-4355-B0F4-5D4A9F5C335D.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 22
  • CE07D99A-9404-4212-848A-87E6E776692E.jpeg
    CE07D99A-9404-4212-848A-87E6E776692E.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DD42A09F-B70D-431C-A167-3E5B4F3FB39D.jpeg
    DD42A09F-B70D-431C-A167-3E5B4F3FB39D.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 23
  • FD71F1D0-C7D2-48EC-9B9E-5B0D08813EBD.jpeg
    FD71F1D0-C7D2-48EC-9B9E-5B0D08813EBD.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 22
  • E46D8672-F593-46B8-8984-0A0589EE0576.jpeg
    E46D8672-F593-46B8-8984-0A0589EE0576.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 22

Buford_Dawg

Had a enjoyable day Saturday at my clubs, pretty much wrapped up everything that needs to be done to start hunting with exception of getting food plots in. I think that is happening this Friday and Saturday, if our tractor guy is available. Had a good rain shower on our BCR club Saturday AM and got back to the Sandy Cross area and not a drop of rain on our other club. Confirmed the ML is sighted in and our deer rifles. The cooler weather is finally bringing some excitement to be back in the woods for me. For the first time as long as I have run trail cams, this is first year going into ML week, I do not have what I consider a shooter deer on camera in the last 2 months, not disappointed, just strange going into the season without some hit list bucks. Oh well, they are around somewhere, gotta be in a tree waiting them out. And haven't found the first scrape, did find my first rubbed tree.

transfixer

I went to the lease yesterday, was glad to see that it had rained recently, I've only been running one cam as of late, but don't have a decent buck on camera either, I put out another cam yesterday in a known funnel area hoping to get pics of something besides does and fawns. The seed I had scattered a few weeks ago actually sprouted in the last few days somehow, so maybe there is hope yet for that little food plot,

Now that the weather is changed I'm a little more enthusiastic about heading to the club this friday, I need some time around a campfire ,,,, and according to the forecast this coming friday and saturday night will be right for a campfire !

Triple C

Went down friday and stayed until today. Only a couple of sits but got a lot done. Checked all of our stands for safety. Looks like we're ready to roll. Speaking of trail cam pics - least amount of decent bucks in years. Really odd with so many passed in previous years. We desperately need rain at our place.

transfixer

Went down friday and stayed until today. Only a couple of sits but got a lot done. Checked all of our stands for safety. Looks like we're ready to roll. Speaking of trail cam pics - least amount of decent bucks in years. Really odd with so many passed in previous years. We desperately need rain at our place.

Maybe all the good bucks are hanging out down next to the waterholes or creeks, laying up in the shade, just waiting for cooler weather to go rambling around ? Lets hope so anyway !

fredw

Retired Moderator
One doe taken on the Oglethorpe lease this weekend by the primitive weapons hunters. Other does and small bucks passed by club members.

The big thing......with rain forecast for this afternoon/evening and again on Tuesday, we spent time on Saturday after the morning hunt getting our food plots planted. 1,600 pounds of winter wheat and triple 19 broadcast and dragged to cover. Now for that long awaited rain.

Triple C

Congrats on the doe Fred! I went down Thursday and stayed thru lunch today. I was solo. Watched deer from the stand each sit but being by myself, didn't have the urge to draw back on one. I did like you yesterday - spent most of the day planting one of my small plots in rye grain and durana clover. It was just starting to rain when I left today. Timing should be about perfect.

I started a clover thread in the food plot forum since so many folks are interested in clover. I'm going to do my best to update over the next couple of years to give somewhat of a play-by-play on how this plot does over the next couple of years. Should be really good as it's some of our best soil and well balanced.

We're just a couple of weeks away from the magic time of the chase phase kicking in along with much cooler temps. Really looking forward to the rest of the season. Good luck to all!

Buford_Dawg

So, terrific weekend for my crew. Lots of things went down. Arrived at camp early Friday afternoon, immediately unpacked and went to BCR club and did 6 small foodplots across the property. Worked till dark 30. Hunted SC club Saturday AM, saw 3 does, no need for doe this early in year, buck hunting for now. As soon as hunt was over at 10, we started food plots at SC club, 5 plots done by 2. Head to a wedding with most of the members of our camp for a terrific young man from the Sandy Cross / Glades community that I have watched grow up and pretty much hanged out at our deer camp thru the last 25 years. Our camp sits on his grandparents property and he has been a huge part of my OC experience. Wedding in Watkinsville, so got back to camp after dark 30 again, LOL. Hunted my new BCR club this AM and saw several deer at the new place, once again, does and only buck hunting for now. As you can see by the picture, our camp does dress up nicely :) This picture is my family, far right, and about 1/2 of my fellow hunting buddies / wives who I camp / hunt with and the Bride / Groom. Oh, we did have a nice doe taken by one of the young man in the picture with his bow this weekend and unfortunately had another doe harvested by vehicle in front of our gate of the SC club this AM about 9. Lets hope we get some good rain this week, if so, our plots should take off.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.JPEG
    IMG_1364.JPEG
    78.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Arrow3

I hunted in Sandy Cross this afternoon. Ran 9 out of the field walking in. Heard more running in the woods. After about a hour deer started coming back. Saw 10 from the stand. Probably some of the ones I ran off but I don't know for sure. Passed on a 15 yard shot on a 7 pointer.

transfixer

We had a good weekend as well, only three of us at camp, but all saw deer over the weekend, one member hunts one of our very few hardwood patches, and the acorns were falling, Saturday evening from 4:30 till dark he watched 11 deer come through and stop for acorns, out of those three were bucks, biggest being a 6pt,

As a side note, the water tubs I talked about a few weeks ago have worked ! I knew the level in mine kept getting lower, and there were tracks around mine, but never put a camera on it, well, last sunday I put a water tub in front of one of my buddy's stands, he was hunting it sat evening and watched a doe and her fawn come in, the doe walked straight over to the tub and drank out of it for 20 or 30 seconds he said, he was amazed ! The tub was there less than a week ! So @Buford_Dawg ya'll might want to pick up some mortar mixing tubs at home depot and put them on your place across the road !