2020 Acorn Report(s)

CornStalker

Ok, for all the bino-wearing, mountain-climbing, acorn-tastin' hunters out there....what's the early acorn report? Any early climbing sign yet?

chrislibby88

Maybe they will be up high. I love hunting high. I can’t imagine this year will be a bust for mass. Spring and summer have been pretty mild weather wise, plenty of rain, unless we got too much in the spring? We were weeks into a drought at this point last year.

CornStalker

Gonna have to do some walking this year. Acorns started good but some areas just didn't pan out. Some trees are loaded and some just have little knotted up acorns that are drying up now. Squirrels already cutting mountain oaks.

Tree cutter, do you think some of these acorns never mature because of frost/freeze damage in the late spring and early winter?

tree cutter 08

No because I don't think we had any frost that late up high. Down low where we did acorns are about the same. There's definitely acorns at all elevations that I've seen but are just hit or miss from one tree to the next. Rain has been good in most places. Some of the better acorn years have been on dry years.

Rabun

Did a little scouting this weekend below 2000' primarily in white oak stands. Small underdeveloped acorns. Did find a couple reds that had been "pruned" way up in canopy but mostly found dug up stumps, YJ nests and logs. Was pleased to find a few rubs though(y)

wildcats

Its 2020 ...... anything is on the table this year. Wouldn't shock me to find some the size of pumpkins. Kidding of course.
Sounds like hit or miss. I would rather hunt in those conditions than if every tree was loaded.

markland

Just returned from Cohuta only got about 6 miles of walking in but nothing! Searched mid and high found a few red oaks with acorns some dropping early but no white oak acorns except at my buddies house down at the bottom. No bear sign no tracks no droppings anywhere I went. Looks like it will be deer in SGA this opener for me.

chrislibby88

Went looking two days this week, finding alot of acorns on the ground that are dried up inside. Mostly red oak and some whites. Most of the places I have looked were void of hard mast but plenty of black gum and a few persimmon. Did find a big beautiful, fat timber rattler though. Looked like he has been living good.
Same situation down in middle GA. I saw a few well developed swamp chestnut acorns on the limb, but there’s a lot of aborts on the ground. Found a few red oaks that are doing ok. Might be a slack mast year through the southeast.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Y’all think we had too much rain during the pollination period?