2020 Oglethorpe County

Arrow3

Any of yall know where I can find a Tom cat 1 deer stand for a friend of mine?

Hughy

This past Monday evening ended my 2020 buck season. I bucked out with my bow on this Clarke county 9 point. I’ve been playing cat and mouse with this guy and a bigger 10 for the last couple weeks. I came real close on closing the deal with the 10 last Thursday evening but by the time he got close enough for a shot I couldn’t see my pins. They would daily show up right after dark or leave right before daylight absolutely driving me crazy. I had a good feeling one of them would eventually screw up and I decided the first one that offered me a shot I was going to take it. My work schedule gave me the opportunity to hunt every evening last week but I decided to skip Sunday evening and hang out in the living room with my recliner. Big mistake!!! At 4:00 my cell cam went off with the 10 pt 20 yds in front of my lock-on. So Monday evening I’m back in the seat and right before last light this 9pt came in to 25yds and didn’t get a chance to leave. Bitter sweet since my season goes out on January 31 in Clarke county but it’s hard to let a buck like this walk with a bow. I still have 9 more doe tags left, so I’m not planning on hanging it up quite yet.
I’m thankful for all the opportunities to get to hunt and for an awesome wife to put up with my addiction. She actually went back with me to help get him out. Would’ve been great to have a picture of all three of us on that 4-wheeler ?. Sorry for the long post, sometimes I talk to much about this stuff!
DD0D39F1-2AB4-4F09-BD12-522C99FC32B7.jpegBA1181E0-8F6B-4992-B231-48EDE12A454D.jpeg484C8A0A-A83D-449E-BF19-C6F752BC2977.jpeg

Triple C

Well boys...The season is winding down. We've taken 1 buck and 4 doe from the property. 6 more doe to go to reach out goal. Inviting a few kids down this weekend to hopefully take care of the doe goal. Just curious how you guys rate your season and overall hunting in OC. After 10 years of intensely managing my place with habitat improvements and trigger control, here's my thoughts...
  • Easy to increase deer numbers. We have more than we've ever had to the point that it's time to reduce the numbers.
  • Almost impossible to manage for mature bucks. They just don't survive long enough to reach 4.5 and older. Bout to give up on that goal as it's too frustrating to think we can make it happen in our neck of the woods.
Final thoughts as season winds down...Having grown up in Hall County back in the 60's and 70's when there were no deer to speak of, I still get just as excited at seeing deer on almost every sit as I did back then when I went seasons without ever seeing a single deer. What I liked better back then was the abundance of small game hunters and particularly those than ran coon dogs and rabbit dogs. I chased many a coon with my uncle that ran dogs up until he died. Those days seem to be close to extinction as deer hunting now dominates all hunting. Small game hunters have about 6 weeks to get it done after deer season. Purely selfish on my part but I'd love to see the old December break come back in with the bonus week following Christmas for deer hunting and open up most of December and all of January and February to hearing beagles, walkers, blue ticks and the such chasing small game.

Buford_Dawg

Rate my season a 9. Seen lots of deer, lots of hogs (to many) and killed a few of them and enjoyed some great camp time with friends and family. It just goes by so quickly now a days. Seemed like it was opening day gun season last week and as you note, is winding down. Pretty much my camp has stopped hunting, only a couple of us still even going down. One of my clubs had a outstanding season on nice bucks, best we ever had, the other places I hunt, it was slow for shooter bucks, but did see lots of deer there as well, just nothing to really pull the trigger on for most part. I do miss the December break as well, it will never come back, but I always enjoyed the excitement of getting one final deer hunt in the week after Xmas and it seemed like the deer had calmed back down and were back in daylight patterns. I think the thing I am seeing around OC is that most every hunter / camp I talk to, they are practicing some quality management and limiting harvest to some degree and I think that is needed to keep our herd at a good population and potential nice bucks on properties. Now there are some that don't but overall I think majority are. As far as mature bucks, I agree that getting one past 3.5 years is real tough around OC, there is so much hunters in the woods that it is hard for a buck to live a long life, however I think there are a strong number of 3.5 bucks every year. Once they start hitting 3.5 and reaching 120-130 inches, then they start getting attention real quickly.

Hughy

Y’all have it all wrong!!!
OC has one of the best management programs in the state. It’s called “CMP”.
Culling Management Program:
Every small buck shot in the county needed to be culled for one reason or another. Don’t believe me...............
just ask them ??‍♂️

Triple C

Management of bucks to reach a specific age in OC is so dependent upon your neighbors. Thus,..........

Well. You know.
Yep. Fully understand. Hope I didn't come across as complaining. Ain't nowhere I'd rather be than the farm in OC. Felt that way the first time Brooks and I laid eyes on it in December 2010 and still feel that way today. Feel like I've got about as good of habitat as one can have with plenty of food and cover and more deer than we've ever had. And oddly enough, with the exception of the land across the dirt road, we don't have much hunting pressure around us. We've taken our share of nice bucks over the years and definitely doing our part to grow em for the neighborhood. We've become accustomed to going thru the peat and repeat process each summer...get these kind of pics of bachelor groups in July.
bachelor bucks.jpgbachelor bucks II.jpg

Pass on most of em during the season and then start over the next year. One day we are going to kill a 5.5 or older...maybe. Only one 4.5 in 10 seasons so far has been killed on our place. The 2.5 n 3.5 year old's sporting 100 inches of horn or more are pretty much walking dead in the piedmont of GA. They tend to get hammered. And the reality is that if that's what a hunter wants to take then we tip our hat to em. Everybody has their own motivation for hunting and for many, it has nothing to do with the age of a buck or the size of their rack. We gonna keep trying though!

Todd E

I dont get "bent" over it either. Ive been around the block enough to know that you need to own A LOT of contiguous land and have a ton of ag to manage for age. As long as I'm playing in the pine straw timber club game.....im in it for the fun.

Souhternhunter17

@Triple C I agree on the small game hunting. I thoroughly enjoy chasing small game of any kind. In fact, thats how I was primarily introduced to the outdoors as a kid by hunting squirrels, rabbits, and doves. I think way to often kids are introduced into hunting by strictly deer hunting and may lose interest by getting bored due to the inability to see game, move around, and talk. Learning woodsmanship and the apprication of the natural world is also a large part of what can be taught when chasing small game. I learned a lot about all different types of wildlife, how to ID sign, trees, etc a as kid while on rabbit and squirell hunts. My brother and I are planning on a deer/squirrel hunt combo (and maybe a rabbit or two if we jump them) on the last weekend of deer season this year on our OC property (lord knows the squirrels need thinning) and I am looking forward to it.

Buford_Dawg

Looks great AC, I wont be down again this weekend, got some honey do's still and wife wants to spend a few days in the TN mountains before Xmas so I guess we will head up to the Smokies Sunday for a few days. Gonna visit Cades Cove and other scenic places along the parkway. Good luck to all that are hunting.