2021 gear thread-best and worst

chrislibby88

Is anyone hunting with a suppressor? If so, how are you carrying your rifle. I'm getting tired of having to keep a hand on the sling to prevent it from falling over...and barrel down walking through all the crap in the mountains is a no go. I've been thinking about a Kifaru Gun Bearer. Anyone have experience with them (especially with a suppressor)?
I carry mine over my shoulder with a hand on it. Kind of annoying. I want the mystery ranch version.

Swampdogg

Is anyone hunting with a suppressor? If so, how are you carrying your rifle. I'm getting tired of having to keep a hand on the sling to prevent it from falling over...and barrel down walking through all the crap in the mountains is a no go. I've been thinking about a Kifaru Gun Bearer. Anyone have experience with them (especially with a suppressor)?
I don’t have the gun bearer but use something similar, Slik sling. It is great for climbing and being hands free if you need to throw the binos up or during pack outs .My buddy has the Kifaru one and it’s very similar. Quick access to the rifle and holds it tight to the pack and out of the way

chrislibby88

Forgot to add, when walking in the dark, or packing meat, or dragging, I strap my rifle unloaded to my pack. If I know I’m going through blow downs or laurel tangles I will take the suppressor off too so I’m not getting hung up.

HardlyHangin

So the recent commercial explosion of "saddle hunting" is a rekindling/extension of the old trophy lines which were first produced in the 80s by Mr Greene of Jasper, Ga. This is a basic example for education. There are a bajillion alterations and options, but this is will capture the jist. Ive been hunting exclusively from a saddle or ground the last 2 seasons. Climbing methods, packs, platforms, ropes, kits are interchangeable and an endless rabbit hole.

This is my recon saddle, made by a smaller company called treehopper. A saddle is basically a cut down tree harness, with more material around your butt. They have linemen loops, a waist belt and a "bridge". Most include leg loops, i elect to remove them. This model is characterized by having 2 panels, to help distribute your weightScreenshot_20220112-213318_Gallery.jpg
My climbing method and platform are one unit, to save on bulk and weight. Im changing next year because the particular part you stand on is pretty small, and over 3 hour sits fatigue my feet. Screenshot_20220112-213330_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220112-213336_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220112-213407_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220112-213417_Gallery.jpg

The "tether" girth hitches to the tree, which connects to your bridge (the long white v shaped rope). Most bridges are adjustable in length, therefore changing the angle of pressure applied to your hips. The black small knot is a prussic friction hitch, allowing you to adjust along the main line while not under pressure. Screenshot_20220112-213355_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220112-213401_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220112-213411_Gallery.jpg

From here, i would add the fleece hamock on the outside. Most guys use a molle pouch attached to the saddle itself to store gear, i elect not to.

Compare it to a lock on tree stand. However you climb the tree can be the same, and you're just replacing a full body harness with a smaller one, and shrinking your stand down just big enough to stand on, and deleting the seat.

I'm planning on going to unicoi Saturday if anyone wants to lay hands on this stuff just let me know and ill throw it in the truck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220112-213343_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-213343_Gallery.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 9

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
@HardlyHangin, you say you elected to remove your leg straps. So, is all that's keeping you in the tree (in case of a fall) your waist belt?

ddd-shooter

So the recent commercial explosion of "saddle hunting" is a rekindling/extension of the old trophy lines which were first produced in the 80s by Mr Greene of Jasper, Ga. This is a basic example for education. There are a bajillion alterations and options, but this is will capture the jist. Ive been hunting exclusively from a saddle or ground the last 2 seasons. Climbing methods, packs, platforms, ropes, kits are interchangeable and an endless rabbit hole.

This is my recon saddle, made by a smaller company called treehopper. A saddle is basically a cut down tree harness, with more material around your butt. They have linemen loops, a waist belt and a "bridge". Most include leg loops, i elect to remove them. This model is characterized by having 2 panels, to help distribute your weightView attachment 1128408
My climbing method and platform are one unit, to save on bulk and weight. Im changing next year because the particular part you stand on is pretty small, and over 3 hour sits fatigue my feet. View attachment 1128400View attachment 1128401View attachment 1128405View attachment 1128407

The "tether" girth hitches to the tree, which connects to your bridge (the long white v shaped rope). Most bridges are adjustable in length, therefore changing the angle of pressure applied to your hips. The black small knot is a prussic friction hitch, allowing you to adjust along the main line while not under pressure. View attachment 1128403View attachment 1128404View attachment 1128406

From here, i would add the fleece hamock on the outside. Most guys use a molle pouch attached to the saddle itself to store gear, i elect not to.

Compare it to a lock on tree stand. However you climb the tree can be the same, and you're just replacing a full body harness with a smaller one, and shrinking your stand down just big enough to stand on, and deleting the seat.

I'm planning on going to unicoi Saturday if anyone wants to lay hands on this stuff just let me know and ill throw it in the truck.
Good stuff.

huntfishwork

I started saddle hunting 20/21 season. Got in cheap as far as platform and sticks go. I bought LWCG double steps for 21/22. It was the most expensive hunting purchase I’ve ever made minus bows and guns. They are small, lightweight, and pack well. I’ve been really pleased. They’ll live longer than me.
For Christmas my wife bought me a first lite lightweight merino shirt and a first lite heavy coat. I got to use the setup one time on a 20 degree morning. I stayed really comfortable but have not used it enough to say it’s worth the money. Definitely seems to be well made.
Probably the best and cheapest gear I tried this season is Merino socks. Again the wife bought these because I’m not paying $10-$20 for a pair of socks. She bought Bombas brand. I have light and medium weight. Just try them your welcome.

HardlyHangin

I started saddle hunting 20/21 season. Got in cheap as far as platform and sticks go. I bought LWCG double steps for 21/22. It was the most expensive hunting purchase I’ve ever made minus bows and guns. They are small, lightweight, and pack well. I’ve been really pleased. They’ll live longer than me.
For Christmas my wife bought me a first lite lightweight merino shirt and a first lite heavy coat. I got to use the setup one time on a 20 degree morning. I stayed really comfortable but have not used it enough to say it’s worth the money. Definitely seems to be well made.

Which heavy coat? You stayed comfortable in 20 degrees with just a shirt and a coat? What other layers?

huntfishwork

Which heavy coat? You stayed comfortable in 20 degrees with just a shirt and a coat? What other layers?
It’s the Solitude. I had the merino shirt, what I would consider a medium weight Under Armour hoodie, and put the coat on at the tree. Definitely not a 20 degree day. Just a 20 degree morning with sun. It got uncomfortable quickly as the sun got on me. I’m 5’11” 180 and the large shirt and coat fit great.

ddd-shooter

I could easily get to 20 with just a furnace shirt from first lite and the Sitka fanatic jacket. Those two pieces are the bomb. Have to walk in without either on though, lol

Rabun

I’ve got a question for those using a suppressor...can it be detached and reattached without affecting accuracy?

splatek

UAEC
I’ve got a question for those using a suppressor...can it be detached and reattached without affecting accuracy?

I don’t hunt with a suppressor, but my understanding is that removal could slightly alter your zero at distance. The magnitude of change likely depends on gun, suppressor, and shooter.

chrislibby88

Removing and replacing the can has no effect on accuracy. I remove mine all the time for transport, or if I have the rifle strapped to my pack when hauling meat or dragging, and I move it from gun to gun, etc. There is a shift in zero between shooting suppressed and unsuppressed.

splatek

UAEC
Removing and replacing the can has no effect on accuracy. I remove mine all the time for transport, or if I have the rifle strapped to my pack when hauling meat or dragging, and I move it from gun to gun, etc. There is a shift in zero between shooting suppressed and unsuppressed.

I thought he was asking if shooting with it on versus off made a difference in zero. my bad. Thanks for clearing things up @chrislibby88

chrislibby88

I thought he was asking if shooting with it on versus off made a difference in zero. my bad. Thanks for clearing things up @chrislibby88
Maybe he was. Yes, there is a shift in zero between shooting suppressed and unsurpassed. I think there was about a 2MOA difference in the POI with the can on vs off on my Tikka T3. It differs gun to gun/ ammo to ammo. I think it tightened my groups up on the Model 7 by a half to quarter MOA compared to no can.

I can’t think of a reason to shoot unsuppresed while hunting once you have a can though.