2021 Oglethorpe County

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Plan to stay down in Oglethorpe Co. tomorrow night. Any of you all have a camp in the Smithsonia, Comer, or Sandy Cross area within a reasonable drive I would love to come by and hangout in the afternoon/evening if you would have me. I would be alone, would love to meet you all in person. Shoot me a pm and we can exchange #’s.
Good luck!! I will not be down this weekend. Gonna hunt my local places. Some good guys on this thread!

Buford_Dawg

Southernhunter, you are more than welcome to come hang out with my crew in the afternoons or early evenings. We are in Sandy Cross, PM will be sent shortly. So, it was strange weekend for us, I actually went down Wednesday and hunted thru today at a couple of places. Out of 8 sits, only saw deer 3 sits, which is somewhat not good, LOL.... By Friday we had a full camp again and same story for the other guys, very hit or miss, much fewer deer seen this weekend than last weekend. I believe the moon had alot to do with it as it was very bright all night long. We did have a couple of our target bucks, which are very few at the moment, seen briefly in daytime, so that was encouraging. Oh well, try it again next weekend. Hope you OC'ers had better luck than our crew this weekend.

Hughy

Deer sightings way down for me too in the last week, in stand and cameras. I just figured my neighbors have all the acorns b/c none of my property’s have a white oak on the ground that I’ve seen.
Wish we could get some more of that cooler weather. That would help a lot.

As far as deer coolers, both our local processors are under new ownership this year. Maybe they both will get things turned in the right direction.

Good luck everyone!!

transfixer

Deer sightings way down for me too in the last week, in stand and cameras. I just figured my neighbors have all the acorns b/c none of my property’s have a white oak on the ground that I’ve seen.
Wish we could get some more of that cooler weather. That would help a lot.

As far as deer coolers, both our local processors are under new ownership this year. Maybe they both will get things turned in the right direction.

Good luck everyone!!

We've only got a few patches of hardwoods on our property,,, and acorns are virtually non-existant, evidently a bad year for our trees,

I saw deer both mornings this weekend, but only does and small bucks, same for the other two guys in camp at our place,

Guy I hunt with got a buck back in bow season, took it to FT , said place was very clean, guy there was very friendly and helpful, he was impressed compared to what it was years ago.

Triple C

Same at the Triple C. Fewer sightings than previous week. Did get one archery doe down Saturday afternoon. Shot 2 pigs. Need more shot. 1 decent buck seen all weekend. Can't wait for cooler temps! Buck cruising should start up by end of next week.

Todd E

Fellas, I am now tagged out. Wasn't an OC buck. Fully mature cull buck, if there ever was one. I am thankful for the abundant meat he will fill my freezer with. Now, to set back and hope my wife or my dad can get the other target buck.

Thing is, I have 4 weeks of vacation time scheduled come 2nd week of November. LoL. I am on the Fort Yargo hunt where I can take up to 5 deer(2 bucks). All I can say is......... PigsBeWare

Todd E

I saw where yall are reporting spotty sparse acorns. Its so weird. Where I shot this buck at......it is raining white oaks there. There are so many that the squirrels stopped messing with the deer feeders.

transfixer

Dang... And I have heard literally no shooting so far this season. By far the quiestest I have ever heard around my properties. Maybe one or two gunshots every sit. Wonder where all these deer are getting busted?

Very ,very few shots heard around our area of BCR the last two weekends,, and actually very little traffic on the lease next to ours,, don't think they have many guys hunting this year,, at least not so far.

It'll probably increase this weekend, since doe days start Saturday

transfixer

Doe days coming and going to be nowhere to take them. Folks better plan ahead and I mean plan ahead.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a LEM meat grinder,, and a new vacuum sealer,, I have an older sealer,, but not sure it works that great anymore, I'm going to check with a store out in my area that actually cuts their own meat to make sure I can buy some fat trimmings to mix in before I get all into it though

I've cut my own up in the past,, its just more convenient to drop it off somewhere, but now the places are few and far between,,, and I don't trust the ones that are close to where I live

buckbull

Our sightings were also down this weekend. The evenings were better than the mornings. Our few white oaks are producing good. Seeing activity on water oaks as well.

We have harvested three deer so far, but we cut up our own, so I am not filling up the processors.

jbird1

Finally made it down for the first hunt this weekend. Camp was pretty quiet with just 4 of us. Same story as everyone else...small bucks pushing does and sparse mast crop with few shots heard. On a brighter note, the Joro spiders were a non-factor on our place. There were a few here and there but nothing like I've seen in other areas recently. The ones we did have had their webs 12-15 feet off the ground so no incidences of spontaneous, spider dancing were noted.:)