2021 Oglethorpe County

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Fort Yargo pre hunt meeting complete. Gonna try for some city deer next two days. 5 deer limit with NO tag a doe to earn a buck on first day. YeeYee
Todd, hit me up while your in town and we can go grab some lunch! I’ll buy! I work in winder.

Todd E

My dad and I had a great time together. I spent the nights at my parent's home. That was great. The hunting.....ey. I was not there for meat hunting. Never saw a racked buck. Typical public hunt. In stand hour+ before legal shooting light. Folks walking in at 647am. Set up close. Cutting off route. One person shot 6-8 times. Next person in line closest to us shot about 10 times. Pop could actually hear rifle action; he was so close. But hey, to be expected. I just enjoy being with my dad. Maybe 35 total checked in after we pulled out from checking dad's doe in today. I was asked by staff why I wasn't shooting. My response wasn't well received. "Please shoot deer. We need more shot. Please don't horn hunt." I have no freezer space so, I came home. Pop has ridden around all afternoon trying to find an accepting processor. :(

Buford_Dawg

Got back down and hunted Saturday and this AM, saw a few, they definitely moving first and last hours of daylight where I was and my cameras seeing same type movement. Lots of night time movement, but very little in daylight. Found signs of trespasser on one property, acquired a pop up blind after talking to adjacent neighbors and have a property in process of selling, we have fingers crossed we get to continue to lease it, you never know with new owners. Season quickly winding down, only 3 of us hunting now.

Grunt-n-bleat

Hunted saturday morning as well. Not much moving that morning, just had a small spike cross Long Creek behind me about 745am. Most cam activity for deer are late afternoons, evenings. Got some good trail cam videos of buck running couple does Friday night about 10-11pm.
Did have a good flock of wood ducks working up the creek about noonish.
Gonna try again next weekend, Lord willing and the creek dont rise..

Souhternhunter17

Hunted friday afternoon and saturday morning. Had a buddy down for saturday morning. Saw zero deer between us any of the hunts… first time all year not seeing anything on the OC property. My guess was the warm weather had them boogered up. Oh well, plan to get back after it next weekend if the rain will push off.

fredw

Retired Moderator
The son and I hunted food plots on the Oglethorpe lease yesterday afternoon. I hunted a long narrow food plot from my Gobbler Lounger. Saw 3 mature does and a nice buck. The buck was 2/3 of the way across the plot before he lifted his head so I could see antlers. I quickly picked the rifle up but, by the time I got him in the scope, all I could see was the rear end of the deer as he went into the thick pines bordering the plot.

Dropped my son off on the way off and headed on to my house. Had a young doe run out in front of me. I didn't see the deer until she was on the yellow line. I hit her hard, rolling her up under the truck. Fortunately for me, I wasn't hurt and there doesn't appear to be damage to the truck. The poor doe wasn't as fortunate. Not a good feeling.

Buford_Dawg

Didnt make it down this weekend, honey do's for Christmas and just terrible weather played a part. Had 2 guys in camp hunt most of week, they reported deer sightings every sit even with the foggy, wet weather several days. Our hogs have disappeared this year for most part, only taken 2 so far, last year, we took around 15 and camera sightings of them are few and far between, not complaining, prefer they not around.

Triple C

Same here BD. Didn't make it down this past week. Guess my old school urges come out when we once had the "December break". Planning on spending most of the week between Christmas and New Year in a few of my favorite trees in OC. Always love to end the year in one of my favorite sits on the farm and will do the same this year.

Triple C

By the way...any of you guys looking for a decent price on a tract of land in Stephens area, check out the link I posted in the Deer Hunting forum. It's a clear cut tract with hardwood drainages. I know the listing agent pretty well. Good guy that has sold a boat load of land in OC and surrounding counties. Talked to him yesterday. If I had the coins I'd buy, plant in loblolly and hold it for a few years.

Souhternhunter17

Made it down for the Sunday morning sit. Was able to shoot a doe early (7:15 AM) and saw several other deer before getting down at 9:00 for the recovery. Plan to get back after it this weekend a time or two with the goal being to kill one with my AR. Checked the camera and I am thankful there where no hogs. Lots of does, small bucks, an beautiful up and coming 8. Also a huge bodied probably 5.5-6 yr old 8-9 point with not much if a rack. I would love to put a bullet in, killing any older mature buck is an accomplishment to me. Had 3 nice gobblers on camera as well which honestly made the most excited. Our place isnt big enough to really “hold” birds but it is nice to see that many are around. Lastly, I may end up giving into the temptation to wack some bushy tails… our place is loaded with them. It wont be long before they hole up for the winter so need to get them while the getting is good. Good luck to all this week/upcoming weekend. (y)

Lshaw97

I just wanted to do something different with this ol' mater head. I should have put him on the wall as a shoulder mount. I would have, if the gator skull and hide weren't already there. 300# and ticked off after I put one up his rear as he ran. He stopped and stood, so I went after him. He turned around and came back eye balling me. I dirt twerked him that time. View attachment 1117297View attachment 1117298View attachment 1117299View attachment 1117300
Is that an ATN thermal? If so, which one?

Todd E

I've been out several times this past week. A long time on Friday night. Been seeing 20-30 deer a night. Have had bucks tickling antlers still. Had a buck dogging the hound out of a yearling. He was doing that guttural popping noise when she was standing. Pretty cool. Saw a doggone good un one night.

I've been tagged out since 10/24. Honestly, this has been the most relaxing and stress free deer season for me. Enabled me to spend the time doing what I enjoy more.

Triple C

Feel like I've been on the old December break. Haven't hunted past 2 weeks. Prolly won't hunt until after Christmas and then plan to do what we once did back when we had the December break - hunt the week following Christmas. We had Christmas at our place yesterday for all the kids n grandkids. Cooked a 5 bone standing rib roast. Mercy!!! It was good. Wife and I may just go down Christmas Eve and spend the night at the farm.