2021 Oglethorpe County

Arrow3

Sitting here on this last afternoon reflecting on how good a season its been. I have enjoyed following yalls seasons here getting to see all the pictures.

I shot 2 more yesterday afternoon and while one dropped , the other ran. Not concerned I waited till dark and climbed down and walked the way she went. After not seeing her I came back looking for blood. I couldn't find that either. I knew I hit her because she mule kicked. I looked for a hour and never found a trace of a hit. Knowing it was gonna be in the mid 20s I decided to just wait till this morning to go back and look. I found her immediately this morning 150 yards from the shot but coyotes had ate most of her. Hate losing her .

Gonna try to pop one more this afternoon so me and hughy can make our Meat shed ride worth it.

Steven037

It was a great deer season. We took 10 does total. No bucks. Going to try to get after the hogs now. Haven’t been seeeing the sign like in years past though. It’s a good thing but there is still a few around. Probably be more around since deer season is over and everyone won’t be putting corn out everywhere. Truly love getting on here and hearing all the tales of the hunt from everyone. Here’s a pic from the last morning hunt. 3FE59218-37F0-4E29-B0B5-3E64B46A21C0.jpeg

Todd E

Another year, another one come and gone. By the time it ends, we are tired enough to say yah; its over. But, sad enough to want just one more hunt.

My season was just as wild as my every day life was. Talk about a crazy 2020. Whew. I want to kill a booner just as much as anybody does. However, I measure my success on how full the freezer is. Once November had come, I honestly thought my freezer was going to remain empty. LoL. I've done my fair share of whining this year. Just couldn't get mature bucks to cooperate.

I was blessed to participate and mentor a young guy during an SCI youth hunt. I've shared my entire hunting season with my two great friends. The longest running text I have EVER kept on my phone. We had some great celebrations go on around the skinning rack. Even heard the full events of a spouse getting her first buck ever. I was able to meet some of the guys in this thread face to face this year. That was nice to do so and pass along some small portions of past success. I ended up tailgating five deer this year, so I have had a successful season. Just no impressive racked buck.

Thanks yall for all the stories you've shared this year. Thanks for contributing. Now......its time for me to find something to do with all my free time.

Souhternhunter17

It was a great season for me both in and out of state. Killed a doe with my bow at my in-laws in Maidson County. I make it a goal to kill atleast 1 with my bow a season, as it gets put away completely during rifle season.

Was apart of a good friend's first real "deer camp" experience on the rifle opener in which lots of deer were seen and several were killed. Good times were had by all. Needless to say, my buddy wants to make the camp a tradition (y).

Was able to kill a nice 8 on our Oglethorpe property on Halloweeen night with my dad there to help me drag him out. It was the first real good buck I have killed with him there and memory I will never forget.

My brother achieved a goal he has always talked about and killed double digit deer (10) between GA and AR so he was able to share plenty of meat with non-hunting but deer meat loving family members.

My brother and I tagged out on public land in Arkansas. He killed a doe and a nice 8 point. I killed a doe and my personal best buck an 11 pointer with kickers off both G2's, it was no doubt the first buck I have ever killed that grew as I got closer :sneaky:.

The big bucks are awesome and all but it is the memories shared with family and friends that I enjoyed the most. Ready for next season already!

Arrow3

Got to fill the freezer up big time this last weekend. 1 doe and these 2 big sows went to the meat shed today.

Really enjoyed putting faces with names from some of you this season. Like Todd said, we had one heck of a long running group text going all season that I really enjoyed. Hunting is so much better when you can share it with friends with no jealousy involved .

Big thanks to Hughy for letting us use his skinning facilities this season!! I have messed up my elbow pretty bad and basically can't use my right arm much to do anything. Hughy skinned my doe from Saturday and Todd skinned both of my hogs last night. Two great friends that I appreciate very much.

My total for the year was 10 pointer, 2 does, and 2 hogs.

I came mighty close to killing a 2nd pope and young but maybe he'll grow and stroll by next season... Thank you again guys for letting me be a part of the part thread here and for all your friendships. 137272816_10214930026323307_3753089249571714188_o.jpg138144921_10214930025283281_44151963450304736_o.jpg

Buford_Dawg

Ran down to Sandy Cross today and had a nice afternoon squirrel dog hunt with the boys and several good friends. Really enjoy some small game hunting after deer season. We ended up with 6 on the tailgate, numerous more found their way into holes, nice 3 mile walk thru the woods, I think they said the dogs covered about 7 miles total.IMG_3226.jpg

Triple C

Mighty quite in here Brandon! Went down Friday and came back Saturday. Cabin field filled up with doe before dark and then a lone boar came in. Grabbed the .243 and a thanks to the bullets you gave me...put the smack down on the boar at the bottom of the field.

House build in Oconee Co is in final stages so spent most of the day back there and then came home later afternoon. Bout 6 weeks away from calling Oconee home again and only 30 minutes from the farm in OC. Can't wait!

Buford_Dawg

AC, that is really nice, sure you will enjoy getting into Oconee county and getting away from the hustle and bustle of Metro ATL. I won't be far behind you, moving out somewhere away from this overpopulated area. Still looking upon Hartwell if I can convince my wife to go that direction.

Triple C

AC, that is really nice, sure you will enjoy getting into Oconee county and getting away from the hustle and bustle of Metro ATL. I won't be far behind you, moving out somewhere away from this overpopulated area. Still looking upon Hartwell if I can convince my wife to go that direction.
Had it not been for 2 of our children and our grandchildren being in Oconee, we would have looked at Hartwell. Always loved that lake and the area in general. We moved to Oconee Co in 1983 and left in 2005 with my job. Always considered it home. But mercy me...Watkinsville has changed so much since 2005. We will be south of Watkinsville with East Athens pretty close for shopping and the farm only 30 minutes away in Oglethorpe. Hopefully, best of both worlds.

jbird1

Had it not been for 2 of our children and our grandchildren being in Oconee, we would have looked at Hartwell. Always loved that lake and the area in general. We moved to Oconee Co in 1983 and left in 2005 with my job. Always considered it home. But mercy me...Watkinsville has changed so much since 2005. We will be south of Watkinsville with East Athens pretty close for shopping and the farm only 30 minutes away in Oglethorpe. Hopefully, best of both worlds.

Looks like a great spot to ride it out there, TC. I don't have grandkids yet, but I'd imagine they're a strong draw...kinda like reliving the child rearing years without some of the responsibilities and stress I suppose. I spent a good bit of time around Watkinsville in the early-mid 90's. I'm sure I wouldn't recognize it today. How many acres is the Oconee place? I can picture some nice sunsets poolside or soaking in the jacuzzi. Outstanding(y)