2021 Oglethorpe County

Arrow3

So that's what those things look like...

fredw

Retired Moderator
Haven't had any luck with the Oglethorpe County birds so far this season.....haven't even heard a gobble yet.

Hunted day before yesterday. Planned ahead and put the spinning rod and a couple of lures in the truck. Headed to the river after hunting to let these aggressive little bass play.

Attachments

• IMG-4673.jpg
    IMG-4673.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Big_Red

Unseasonably hot today but Georgia Forestry still got my first burn done... Pretty wild for me having never experienced that deal. They even had a plane overhead swing by a few times. I swear the smoke probably covered a third of the county.

And my pines are 21 years old this year (drinking age!) having never been burned. So we had plenty of “fuel” on the Forest floor.

A few pics from the day.

A346C24D-CE9D-4610-B587-DD66A976DD7C.jpeg132E6853-DACE-4311-9807-817C9E708E7D.jpeg5B2438F8-A8AB-4ECB-B444-B800BB942286.jpeg719DACA2-0354-4772-AAFC-0D342BABCF4E.jpeg

Triple C

Red - You did good brother! GFC called me bout 8:30 to tell me they would arrive at my place in Oconee Cty to burn my pines there. I was just pulling in after driving from NW ATL for almost 2 hrs. Then got a call and said one of the guys had a death in the family and would have to postpone til tmrw. So...drove the 1:45 back.

Your burn looks awesome. Can't wait to see that place in a few weeks when it starts greening up. You should have got a decent kill on the hardwood stems with the heat yesterday.

Todd E

I agree. Red shouldn't have a sweet gum anywhere now. That fire had to have burnt HOT.

Big_Red

Todd, according to GFC they “took their time and went slow.” They told me due to high air temps they didn’t want to get the fire too high/hot for fear of harming my pine trees. The GFC operator was pleased with the outcome and guess I’ll see how it turns out!

Triple C, did the burn happen today?

Steven037

Todd, according to GFC they “took their time and went slow.” They told me due to high air temps they didn’t want to get the fire too high/hot for fear of harming my pine trees. The GFC operator was pleased with the outcome and guess I’ll see how it turns out!

Was it Leland and Phil? They did a great job on the place where I hunt a couple weeks ago.

Triple C

Yes it did. Scale of 1 to 5 I'd give it a 2. Bit damp and also nerve-racking as I wasn't there and wind picked up late afternoon. Only 15 acres of pines behind the house that I wanted burned. Operator didn't firebreak the green field bordering the pines. Bout 5:00 my daughter calls and says there's little circles of fire in the green field between house n pines. I'm 2 hrs away and she's face timing me to show me the smoke. Brooks was pulling his loader home from a job and was able to get there shortly after she called and got it taken care of. Had my heart in my throat with wind gusts late afternoon worrying about embers starting something on adjoining property. All turned out well but my gut told me with a front having blown through and winds a bit gusty that it was not ideal conditions to burn.

Big_Red

My goodness Triple! That’s nuts! Well glad it turned out okay but stinks it was a 2 out of 5.

Glad to hear you let Brooks get back to work. ;-)

Todd E

My turkey hunting has been lacking this year. Just not interested. Would rather chase hogs.

I've been a whopping five mornings. It has been deathly quiet; other than the very first try. I had a choice this morning. Hogs or turkey. Woods are quiet. Im looking at my cell cam thinking I chose wrong. Can I get there. Rifle is in truck. Suddenly, a gobbler ran in asking to be shot in the face. :) 20210418_075103.jpg20210418_094909.jpg20210418_084921.jpg20210418_093245.jpg20210418_094842.jpg