2021 Oglethorpe County

Triple C

We got back from the Alaska trip late Saturday. Got into some lake trout, rainbow and sockeye salmon. Lots of bear activity. Fun trip. Getting there and getting home was long and drawn out. Old man is tired but it's a good tired.
Fred - Post up a few pics with some commentary on your AK trip. 1st time I went in July 2017, we were right in the middle of the salmon run, both sockeye and silvers if my memory serves me correct. Fished one day in Katmai and was blown away on just how many brown bear we encountered on that day. This year we were just ahead of the salmon run and encountered only one bear.

transfixer

I've been covered up with work for the last couple months, both at the shop and with my side work, haven't found the time to get to OC even when the weather has cooperated , gotta make time soon though, only 6 weeks away , but if its this hot on opening weekend archery ? I doubt seriously I'll be there ! lol

transfixer

Ol Todd goes out every night. Well, ya know.....trolls. So, I stay quiet. I havent done anything at all in regards to a deer. Highly anticipating my gator hunt.

Going out at night is a lot smarter than going out during the day in this kind of weather ! kinda wish I could flip my work hours to nighttime for a few weeks, I thought about deer season yesterday at lunchtime actually, went to a park not far from where I work, sitting in my truck under a shade tree eating lunch, and watched a 6pt still in velvet browsing in the woods not 40yds from where I was parked, it was kinda cool ,,,

Souhternhunter17

I haven't been back down to the OC property since the end of turkey season. Have been extremely busy this summer. Planning on going down within the next few weekends to check things out. I am resisting the urge to put out cameras until a few weeks before bow season. I will probably put them out when we plant food plots the last weekend in August. We try to be on the property as little as possible to keep the pressure down before the season and attempt to try to do the same during the actual season. I think it makes a big difference on small properties. Hope everyone is staying safe in the heat and looking out for snakes!

jbird1

Looking forward to the annual, late August camp haircut/ sweat bath as the first time back to OC since November. The process never changes. Weed eat, lopper, spray...then the late summer heat bakes it off pretty good. A new, fresh carpet of straw will have fallen by the time we roll in October. If there is time leftover, maybe throw out a cam or two. Rinse and repeat and the cycle continues.

Buford_Dawg

Spent yesterday AM in OC, boy was it hot. Pulled some trailcam cards, good activity in some areas, not so good in others, lots of coyotes showed up on most cams, few pigs and about early July, fawns started appearing frequently. Worked around camp for couple hours, imagine we will have some club work day activites labor day weekend, that is usually when we start. As usual, got my share of chiggars, dang things. Did I mention it was HOT :mad:

Big_Red

We went this weekend, had to do a little work at camp, top off feeders and such.

To our surprise a feeder was knocked over, my buddy suspected a trespasser.

Well, he pulled the trail cam card and wow, a big freakin’ BEAR has been visiting!

This is about a mile outside of downtown Maxeys. Buck yum (corn/peanut) feed. Crazy. Didn’t think this part of GA had bear.

353E4633-6579-4750-8985-B532445C6BF9.jpegA55E4FD1-3DD1-47E2-9AE0-EC92120B23C0.jpegAAC03C25-EE0A-4B90-AC9D-A895C491C7DE.jpeg64B2CF7E-3596-4305-80AF-3A180B45EBD1.jpegEF6AE997-840D-46C4-9333-BC76AC3DF018.jpegC8A41371-8CD8-4359-B537-A4F80189D502.jpeg48E5E5C0-1E8C-41EB-A11D-CDD8361DE001.jpeg

fredw

Retired Moderator
We went this weekend, had to do a little work at camp, top off feeders and such.

To our surprise a feeder was knocked over, my buddy suspected a trespasser.

Well, he pulled the trail cam card and wow, a big freakin’ BEAR has been visiting!

This is about a mile outside of downtown Maxeys. Buck yum (corn/peanut) feed. Crazy. Didn’t think this part of GA had bear.

View attachment 1094907View attachment 1094908View attachment 1094909View attachment 1094910View attachment 1094911View attachment 1094912View attachment 1094913
How cool is this? Great trail cam pics.

Buford_Dawg

Yes, they occassionally stroll thru in the summertime, generally juvenile males that have been run off their home range. Had one on camera in OC once before. Got one roaming the local subdivisions in Buford right now, got all the local residents tore up :)

fredw

Retired Moderator
We accomplished what we needed to on Friday and, thank goodness, got out of there before the heat and humidity became unbearable for this old fellow.

We mowed a strip in the pines back in May. We were a little late getting back up to spray and discovered head high weeds. Sprayed and will need to go back thru with a bush hog before we can even think of preparing for any planting.

Lots of does and some nocturnal pigs hitting the feeders. Cottontails everywhere on the edges of the logging roads.

Triple C

@Big_Red...Just a matter of time till a sow or two moves in then it's gonna be game on for the bears establishing new territories. That would have been a cool sight watching that boar do his thing around your feeder until he brought it down. I'm trying to imagine what it will be like to have my first bear sighting from the stand.

I didn't make it to the farm this past weekend. Mowed fields and lawn at the new place. Bout 10 acres of field to mow at new place. Gotta get a tractor with a cab and A/C and a bigger bush hog. 6 footer ain't getting it done.

As little as I've been down this summer it's gonna feel like a new place come hunting season. No cameras running and not sure I'm gonna put batteries in em until we plant in October. Think it will be cool first few sits and have no idea what we have in terms of shooter bucks.