2021 Poult Report

Gut_Pile

Early County

4 hens, 1 half grown poult

1 hen, 4 poults about grouse size

Bubba_1122

If you want to see something interesting (and concerning) watch the episode of Gamekeepers that aired on the Outdoor Channel on Aug 10th.

Dr Michael Chamberlain from UGA talks about how predators impact the production of turkey nests. Per Chamberlain about 75% of all nests fail - they won’t produce a poult.

”Almost all nest loss is predation driven. It’s usually driven by the loss of the eggs and not the the loss of the hens”.

“When poults do hatch about 2/3 of those broods are dead within the first month”.

If we want more poults we better manage our racoons, possums, foxes, bobcats and coyotes.

Turkeytider

If you want to see something interesting (and concerning) watch the episode of Gamekeepers that aired on the Outdoor Channel on Aug 10th.

Dr Michael Chamberlain from UGA talks about how predators impact the production of turkey nests. Per Chamberlain about 75% of all nests fail - they won’t produce a poult.

”Almost all nest loss is predation driven. It’s usually driven by the loss of the eggs and not the the loss of the hens”.

“When poults do hatch about 2/3 of those broods are dead within the first month”.

If we want more poults we better manage our racoons, possums, foxes, bobcats and coyotes.

Those are tough. Snakes are even tougher.

Bubba_1122

Those are tough. Snakes are even tougher.
That’s true.

I just don’t know how we’d go about managing them.

I think hawks are a big factor with young poults as well but we’re not allowed to manage them either.

My mindset is manage what I’m able and allowed to and hopefully it‘ll help the population to some extent.

Last edited:

Turkeytider

It`s interesting to me the size/age differentials of poults all through the warmer months of summer. We see poults almost as big as hens at the same time as poults the size of grouse. Multiple nestings? Late nestings? I`d really like to hear from the biologists on that.

DRBugman85

It`s interesting to me the size/age differentials of poults all through the warmer months of summer. We see poults almost as big as hens at the same time as poults the size of grouse. Multiple nestings? Late nestings? I`d really like to hear from the biologists on that.
Yes very interesting that we have more poults this year,But way down in South Georgia the gobblers start breeding hens about February, We have poults from chicken size to full grown, So some hens were breeding as late as the 1st of June to still seeing chicken size poults now.HMMM

Dupree

9/8
Paulding county
3 hens with 8 poults old enough I could tell 5 were jakes and 3 were Jenny’s.

9/9
Carroll county
3 longbeards (one looking pitiful strutting. I’m assuming he has been molting) and 4 hens. No poults in sight. E5450339-06B5-4E7F-892C-29D36F2D3753.jpeg

Dupree

9/23
Polk county
2 hens, at least 7 half grown poults.