2022-2023 North Florida Season

Bigbendgyrene

The older I get, the more the memory cells are becoming a bit suspect so I'm using this thread to help me clearly remember the 2022-2023 season... only one to date where I've bent my general rule of only harvesting 2 bucks off my land, instead shooting 3.

First two of the season were the only two I had on my hit list going into the season. I called one Double Brow, as during the velvet he had double brows on both sides, and the other a buck I had followed for years that I called Mini Split due to small splits in one of his ears. Mini Split was a really nice 8-point for our area when young but didn't change much in the next two years. Turns out he had a fairly serious leg injury, one that obviously was bothering him more and more as time passed. Below is a video of both of them leading up to the season.

Can even see the constant joint issue Mini Split was dealing with in this screen capture from the video.

Mini Split Swollen Joint.jpg

Back to Double Brow, he showed up on the eve of the USMC Birthday and I actually recovered him at first light the next morning.

Close to last legal shooting light, he chased a doe across the plot I was hunting and was so fast in doing so that I didn't take a shot. Felt certain I had missed what might be my only chance at him when minutes later I noticed he'd walked back into the edge of the plot but stopped at the far corner where some hanging vines left only a small window clear. When he inched forward into the small window, I took the shot but after waiting 10 minutes to get down I couldn't find a drop of blood in the plot, and I mean not a single drop. The very next morning I was out at first light and walking along the thick edge where the plot turns to woods I found blood on brush entering into a thicket. He hadn't run more than 60 yards total and the shot I'd made proved true. I was very thankful he hadn't suffered and that coyotes hadn't found him.

Picture below shows the shot window I chose to use to the far left... admittedly marginal at best. Photo being from the same early November timeframe also shows the plot hadn't really taken off yet due to drought conditions throughout October and intentional late planting (with LONG Florida gun season, prefer to have browse young early to be palatable as long as possible through the season).

Double Brow Shot Window.jpg

Lost one of his double brow tines in the days leading up to our meeting.

Double Brow Post Harvest.jpg

Quite a bit of time between Double Brow and the harvest of Mini Split -- just over seven weeks. I hadn't made too many sits, as I typically only hunt cold fronts both for favorable winds out of the north pushing my scent away from the plot and to help daytime traffic.

Mini Split showed up just before the New Year on the heels of an especially strong cold snap, bringing us 3 straight evenings of temps in the mid-20s. I noticed with interest that the traffic wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be with the coldest temperatures -- instead, the traffic was EXTREMELY heavy the first mild day following the cold snap. Won't lie, with Mini Split offering a perfect broadside shot close to the middle of the plot I still hit the pause button a few seconds as I'd been tracking him by cameras for years, had given him a pass under similar circumstances the one time I'd seen him the previous season, and had been about as much on the fence regarding harvesting him as one could be. Nice thing about the clear broadside shot is that his harvest was done quickly and with a fair amount of daylight still remaining.

Mini Split Post Harvest.jpg

And that's where I thought the story would end... but... shortly after I harvested Double Brow a new buck I'd never seen before showed up on the scene. I first saw him from my house, and subsequent camera captures were almost all at night.

Ghost Buck 1.jpg
Ghost Buck Night Cam Capture.jpg

His harvest proved the most dramatic.

With only a week of season left, and a pending out-of-state trip on tap I made what I knew would be my last hunt of the season. With another cold front having hit us, I put in a LONG day in the stand. I had suspected I'd see lots of movement but didn't see hardly anything until 45 minutes before dark. A set of does moved into the plot making me hopeful, but they quickly were chased off by a young spike buck. The does completely cleared from the plot but were followed by two more very young bucks -- so I've not got 3 very junior bucks parked in front of me. By this time, the temps are entering the 40s, sunset is approaching, and I'm cold, tired, and hungry from a long sit. The wife and I are texting each other, I'm asking her to put some wings in the convection oven, and since it's going to be the last sit of the season I'm weighing whether or not just to spook the small bucks out of the plot so I can get down... but I tell her I'm going to tough it out until it's past legal light in the hopes they'll clear out.

Two of the yearling bucks scoot out and I'm mentally trying to wish the lone spike out... when all of a sudden a train of 4 or 5 more mature bucks follow one another into the plot, and I see the back one entering is the Ghost buck. Go from mentally being down to heart racing in less than a second, slowly lift my rifle to find him with the cross hairs and though he's close to the center of the plot he's standing just inches behind another mature buck, literally differentiated by just a few inches of the height of his back that is higher than the buck in front of him due to the angle I've got from my elevated tree stand perch. They're feeding and stay that way for what seems forever. Finally, the buck in front angles ever so slightly towards me with the Ghost buck angling away from me to the point about 2/3rds of the Ghost buck's body is no longer blocked.

First time I've ever shot over the back of one deer to hit another, but that's exactly what I do... and with fading light I see mature bucks running every direction out of the plot. I hear one buck crashing into the wood line directly in front of me, and it only makes sense to me it's the Ghost buck. But at the same time one of the bucks I followed running off looks really nice and I'm starting to second guess if I somehow shot the wrong buck. Wait for darkness to fall full of anticipation, and not even worrying about stealth being the last hunt of the season walk hurriedly to the spot I last heard crashing... and the Ghost buck is down.

Ghost Buck Post Harvest.jpg

Finished euros on Double Brow, Mini Split, and three smaller dead head finds I had taking up deep freezer space for longer than I'm willing to admit.

Euros 1.jpg

Between 78 hogs and 3 bucks over the span of 2022 and January 2023, I need to put a real hurting on the meat I have frozen. Given much of it away (actually had folks crying "Uncle!" with so many hogs) so might even eat tag soup the next season or two. (y)

Swamprat

Swamprat
Some nice Florida bucks, congrats on a great season.

Bigbendgyrene

Follow-up regarding the buck I called MiniSplit. He was a very nice promising 8 point when still a Jr buck... actually did not change much the past two seasons other than adding just a bit of mass and width. I mentioned in the original post he had been limping for a very long time, to the point it didn't appear fighting related...

I now better appreciate how much pain he'd been dealing with on a constant basis. Took his two front legs and soaked them until only the bones were left, and here's the good one where the joints looked perfect / flexed with ease.

20230307_095055.jpg

Versus the joint union on the bad leg...

20230306_145732.jpg

Side by side comparison of the two legs...

20230306_144935 (2).jpg

I would guess the issue to be osteosarcoma if not for the length of time he was limping / progressively over several seasons looking back at trail camera captures. So guessing either an infection or injury induced arthritis. Any veterinarians or wildlife biologists have a strong opinion, would welcome hearing it. (y) Can't help but think the deformation might have played a role in his not really increasing his rack over several seasons, though still nice for our area in the end. On a more positive note, suspect I might have saved him from a more drawn out death to our local coyote population and for that I'm thankful.

kevin17

Follow-up regarding the buck I called MiniSplit. He was a very nice promising 8 point when still a Jr buck... actually did not change much the past two seasons other than adding just a bit of mass and width. I mentioned in the original post he had been limping for a very long time, to the point it didn't appear fighting related...

I now better appreciate how much pain he'd been dealing with on a constant basis. Took his two front legs and soaked them until only the bones were left, and here's the good one where the joints looked perfect / flexed with ease.

View attachment 1215788

Versus the joint union on the bad leg...

View attachment 1215790

Side by side comparison of the two legs...

View attachment 1215791

I would guess the issue to be osteosarcoma if not for the length of time he was limping / progressively over several seasons looking back at trail camera captures. So guessing either an infection or injury induced arthritis. Any veterinarians or wildlife biologists have a strong opinion, would welcome hearing it. (y) Can't help but think the deformation might have played a role in his not really increasing his rack over several seasons, though still nice for our area in the end. On a more positive note, suspect I might have saved him from a more drawn out death to our local coyote population and for that I'm thankful.
What did you soak them in the get them that clean?

Bigbendgyrene

What did you soak them in the get them that clean?
Did the leg bones the same way I do my euro skulls... warm water maceration with plain water and an aquarium heater placed in a 5 gallon bucket to keep water warm until the flesh all comes off (usually dump the water/refill the bucket a few times during this process just to temper pretty strong odor), followed by soak in dawn soapy water for degreasing, and finally a hydrogen peroxide soak to whiten.

This process surely isn't as fast as boiling (takes a few weeks) but it takes almost no time to manage, and does minimal damage to bones (boiling supposedly can weaken).

I do remove as much hide, muscle and flesh as I can when starting the process just to speed up things up and lower the smell but you could put anything in fully intact and with enough time it will come clean.

Also have used the exact same process for an alligator I harvested and was very happy how it turned out.

52595972_10218522576311133_7156928679359021056_o.jpg

Last edited: