2022 Oglethorpe County

transfixer

$30 an acre is ridiculous ! but some sucker will probably pay it ,,, they're pricing the average hunter out of the market ,,, smh,, between the state and their ridiculous bag limits,, and the way the leasing companies continue to go up, my grandkids won't be able to hunt when they grow up, unless its behind the house in some development !

Todd E

Some terrific hunting in Hancock. QDM regs for county have really helped it to prosper. Price is doubled on what I would expect, but I'm sure someone will scoff it up. I'd only do 6 at $3500 each. You'd be better off to just try and buy the property.

transfixer

Up until recently, $10 to $11 per acre rent has about covered the property taxes for 100-300 acre sized hunting tracts that's under conservation covenant program here in OC, (that's approx $1100-$1600 per acre assessed valuation).

Now, nearby 60-90 acre hunting land has sold for $6k per acre (crazy, me thinks) which might trigger new OC tax assessments that might triple property taxes.. therefore land rents could jump to $30 per acre.

Ultimately it's the new land buyers with deep pockets, who seemingly are overpaying.. and the local government re-assessing the neighboring lands and increasing the county treasury. IF hunters won't pay the $30 then the land owners will sellout for the big bucks, and then the new buyers probably won't rent the land at all (to hunters).

If people would quit paying the ridiculous prices for hunting leases, then the prices would level back down, landowners can try to sell for "big bucks" if they want, but for the majority of hunting lease land its good for nothing else but growing pines or hunting, they aren't going to sell housing developments out in the boonies, at least not yet,, and farming land previously used for nothing but timber makes no sense.

Some of these investors have the idea that hunting is big enough they can charge whatever price they want,, maybe they can to some out of state people,, maybe not ? I've hunted for 45+ yrs, I'm not paying those prices ! they can kiss my donkey !

Triple C

If we only had a crystal ball boys…

Covid along with thuggery/social unrest in urban n suburban areas led to a whole bunch of folks buying rural land to escape to on weekends or permanently.

Amazed at quite a few folks I know that bought rural land during this period. And, they love it!

10 yrs from now will that be the case?

Look at land prices in OC. West of Hwy 22 back toward Athens land is selling at $$$$ I couldn’t have imagined 10 yrs ago.

East of 22 n 77 it’s cheaper but still double what it was a few years ago. I don’t live on my place in OC but I ain’t far from it. I love OC. If it was just me…I’d be there in my lil cabin sipping coffee on front porch every morning. Headed there this morn with grandson to do a few things.

transfixer

If we only had a crystal ball boys…

Covid along with thuggery/social unrest in urban n suburban areas led to a whole bunch of folks buying rural land to escape to on weekends or permanently.

Amazed at quite a few folks I know that bought rural land during this period. And, they love it!

10 yrs from now will that be the case?

Look at land prices in OC. West of Hwy 22 back toward Athens land is selling at $$$$ I couldn’t have imagined 10 yrs ago.

East of 22 n 77 it’s cheaper but still double what it was a few years ago. I don’t live on my place in OC but I ain’t far from it. I love OC. If it was just me…I’d be there in my lil cabin sipping coffee on front porch every morning. Headed there this morn with grandson to do a few things.

OC is close enough to Athens and potential employment that it makes sense that people would buy land to live on, much of the hunting property in the state isn't like that though, you get an hour away from work and it starts becoming not worth the time you spend in a vehicle away from family, I guess all that depends on what you do as far as work , but until retirement, location of work has to factor into where you live.

I'd personally like to live somewhere between Ballground and Suches ,Ga, but until I retire that just doesn't make sense

Buford_Dawg

All I know if that times have certainly changed in OC as far as land prices and land leasing overall. Never would have imagined it would be this way after spending over 30 years hunting all over the north side of HWY 78. It is near impossible to find a club or tract of property to lease or hunt in OC nowadays and if you are lucky to have a place, if you do not own it, then be prepared to lose it in near term. Paper companies and Private land owners are taking advantage of the situation and making a killing on it. And I don't blame them, if someone will pay the price, then sell it. I have come to realization I should have bought my own land in OC 10 years ago when they were pretty much giving it away there. I am way too late at this point. Hope the 2 places I get to hunt now last a little longer. Heck I am getting real close to retirement and have hopes of doing what several of my best buddies do and that is to pretty much live in OC during deer and turkey season. I am thinking that my never happen however. We will see. I hope all you OC'ers are having a outstanding summer and it wont be very long now till we see some cooler weather and the doves and deer and hogs suddenly get all our attention.

Arrow3

Man they were on fire Wednesday. I know a few of you inquired about trips . Now is a good time. Especially during the week. No boat pressure. I never saw another fisherman . Put 60 in the boat. Cleaned 41 and threw back all of the big ones. I caught 5 over 1lb and a couple of them were close to 2lbs. That's not always the norm in the summer but they bit good.20220810_090219.jpg20220810_091834.jpg20220810_102410.jpg20220810_120759.jpg

Todd E

Days are starting to get shorter. Can only mean things are changing. I've personally seen one buck in the woods and I have one on camera that are already starting to blue in on their backs. Both at minimum...... 3 year olds. Both OC bucks. Once dove season rolls around, we all know it will be close. Although.....deer are just not on my radar.
Still too doggone hot and humid.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Man they were on fire Wednesday. I know a few of you inquired about trips . Now is a good time. Especially during the week. No boat pressure. I never saw another fisherman . Put 60 in the boat. Cleaned 41 and threw back all of the big ones. I caught 5 over 1lb and a couple of them were close to 2lbs. That's not always the norm in the summer but they bit good.View attachment 1169489View attachment 1169490View attachment 1169491View attachment 1169492
Dang good looking mess of fish! Gonna go out to Lanier tonight to try and catch some!

Triple C

Went down friday afternoon and spent the night. Solo. It was fantastic! Nice rain in the late afternoon. Picked up a couple of inch thick ribeyes at Bell's on the way down. Threw one in the freezer and served the other up for myself.

Persimmons are loaded again this year. Clearcut is greening up nicely. Thinned pines doing the same. Pears have cast their fruit. I'm done with planting fruit trees. Done! I'll take native persimmons any day of the week over any fruit tree I've ever planted.

Already looking forward to cooler days and sits in a stand. Hope everyone has had an enjoyable summer!

revans4661

The new 4-lane Hwy72 shaved travel time to north-end of OC, an easy 35 minutes from Millstone Ch. to Athens Tech, mostly on cruise control.
It was 10 years ago that I moved to Colbert. We are as a crow flies about 3/4 mile from 72. We used to be able to sit on the back porch and there was hardly any traffic noise. Now, it seems like an interstate. At 8 in the morning or 5 in the afternoon, you might as well be on 316. My assumption is what has been stated here. People are moving out and commuting. Land prices? We have been looking for about a year. We have found a few decent deals(4-5k per acre). But when you inquire it's either under contract or has 5 offers above asking price. I don't think it will let up much because most buyers of small to medium size tracts are cash buyers. I need that crystal ball...

georgia_home

assuming youre looking for a new barrel to replace that one?

since the great gun rush / rona 2020 event, spare barrels for any gun are hard to find, and expensive when you do find them. I’d start with the larger retailers. And go from there. Maybe also see if there is a Winchester forum. Basically, google your fingers off. Until you find one.

I’ve been casually looking for a new slug barrel for a 20g 870. No luck. The one or two seen cost more then the gun with the original barrel.

12 gauge Winchester 1400 mkll replacement barrel. Can anyone help with this? Or know someone who may be able?View attachment 1170475

Latest posts