2022 Oglethorpe County

transfixer

I did not keep count of the deer I saw, but seldom went a sit without seeing some, usually young bucks and does both, I missed quite a few weekends and didn't hunt as much as last year, but overall am pleased with this season, overall our deer population is up on our lease, some good young bucks that were seen and not killed as far as I know,, should be good ones next season, I'm glad that we didn't take any does this year either, as that should increase the herd next year as well.

We took three good 8pts this year, and a 7pt I might get around to measuring the one I took, but we've never cared about that stuff in my small group, we hunt for the camping, being in the woods, and ultimately try to put meat in the freezer without hurting the population, We have taken very nice bucks in the past, but I honestly don't think anyone of our core group has ever measured one ? lol

I'd rate my season an 8 or 9 also, based on the time I was able to hunt, I plan on continuing to feed till March, and also next summer, I'm going to start using protein feed instead of corn, to try and help their health and stuff,

Triple C

My rating based on 1 to 5 ranking:
Quantity of deer = 5 Most number of deer we've ever had on our place.
Young bucks = 4 Plenty of small bucks.
Mature bucks = 2 Most don't survive in the area past 2.5, n many 1.5 yr old killed
Enjoyment afield= 5 Loved every minute spent in the woods this year.
OC thread =5 Best local thread on the forum thanks to all you guys!

We went too many years passing does. Over last couple of years deer sightings skyrocketed, particularly late season in the green fields before dark. Ended season with 10 doe in the freezer - 5 in the last 4 days of season. Pigs continue to be a problem but we've just got to where we accept them.

Mature bucks - another story altogether. We've taken 2 bucks in the past 4 years. Very few of the 2.5 yr olds survive to see another season in the piedmont of GA. But, we continue doing what we do and loving every minute of it.

transfixer

My rating based on 1 to 5 ranking:
Quantity of deer = 5 Most number of deer we've ever had on our place.
Young bucks = 4 Plenty of small bucks.
Mature bucks = 2 Most don't survive in the area past 2.5, n many 1.5 yr old killed
Enjoyment afield= 5 Loved every minute spent in the woods this year.
OC thread =5 Best local thread on the forum thanks to all you guys!

We went too many years passing does. Over last couple of years deer sightings skyrocketed, particularly late season in the green fields before dark. Ended season with 10 doe in the freezer - 5 in the last 4 days of season. Pigs continue to be a problem but we've just got to where we accept them.

Mature bucks - another story altogether. We've taken 2 bucks in the past 4 years. Very few of the 2.5 yr olds survive to see another season in the piedmont of GA. But, we continue doing what we do and loving every minute of it.

We may be at the point where next year we'll take a few does, we could have take a couple this year without hurting much, but we're unsure of what a couple of our adjoining neighbors are doing when it comes to does, last season we heard a lot of shots on their place, this year not so much, so we'll try to get a head count later this summer via cameras, and see what the herd looks like .

Buford_Dawg

Zero does taken on our place there Trans as you already know, actually no bucks taken either, LOL.... We will try harder next year on the bucks ;).

And I forgot in my original post, got to have a beer and hang out with CCC this year once again and got to meet Trans as well, so that is always good to meet fellow forum members and socialize. And fellow member REvans and I hunt on a lease together so spent quite a bit of time with REvans who by the way got a couple of nice bucks this season.

revans4661

Zero does taken on our place there Trans as you already know, actually no bucks taken either, LOL.... We will try harder next year on the bucks ;).

And I forgot in my original post, got to have a beer and hang out with CCC this year once again and got to meet Trans as well, so that is always good to meet fellow forum members and socialize. And fellow member REvans and I hunt on a lease together so spent quite a bit of time with REvans who by the way got a couple of nice bucks this season.

Thanks BD, it's been a pleasure hunting with you and your boys. I would love to put some faces with the names, as all of the guys on here seem like true outdoorsman and good people.
I give my season a 9. I was fortunate to put 2 "nice to me" bucks on the ground, and saw plenty of deer, including young bucks. First time taking 2 bucks in a season in over 20 years. The only reason I give my season a 9 is I tagged out and filled the freezer way too early! 2 is about all the wife and I can eat. So I am caught up on chores around the house at the expense of my time in the woods. Lesson learned. I think I would rather be in the woods chasing the monster on the final day of the season, and moving forward that is the plan!

jbird1

Wow...step away for a few days and so much goes on in here that it's tough to catch up anymore!
Todd - Awesome chocolate antlered beauty...Congrats!
TC- Great final week...love to see the skinning pole full!
BD- Nice handy work on the displays..look real nice!

Season review:
It wasn't for the lack of deer numbers, that's for sure. But honestly, we got more firwood burnt than anything. We killed a few, but most were holding out for good bucks. There were the usual close encounters with mature bucks, but nobody closed the deal. In years past, I would have the flexibility to be there during the week when it was "on," and conditions were optimal. These days, it has to happen on the weekends I have pre-planned to be there and/or are left pondering. At the end of the day, I think all of our members got what they needed out of the season...,R&R and de-stressing in the great outdoors.

Going forward, I'd love to make a turkey weekend. Spring gets tough though with baseball. I've got 6 more years and then I'll be empty nesting. I'll look forward to following the OC thread and everyone's pursuits.

Triple C

Maybe we can have another get together in the near future!
Brandon - If we don't get it on the calendar it will never happen! I've had the good fortune of meeting a few of you guys over the years. Many more I would like to meet. I had a few of you guys over to my place and happy to host another get together. Buford Dawg has a great camp that would easily host a get together and prolly several more on here have great spots.

These things are always much easier to talk about than actually get on the calendar. Everybody is so busy these days. Perhaps a thought to think about would be a get together/cookout sometime around the weekend when many folks are doing their "workday" events at camp. Seems many plan this around Labor Day weekend. Just throwing out ideas, but good Lord willing, I'm all about it if we can put it together.

Buford_Dawg

I am always up for a get together, some of you know that. I have learned it can be a struggle to fit everyone's schedule, but most likely as AC points out is during deer season time as most deer hunt, not so sure about chasing the turkeys.

If anyone cares, I took the last 4 years and compiled the deer harvest totals from our DNR site last night as I was watching the game. As you can see there is a trend of lower harvests year by year in OC and pretty dramatic decline over the 4 year period.

1641902221693.png
Have no rhyme or reason why the downward decline, imagine it is alot of hunters like me who have grown older over time and no longer pull the trigger at everything I see. Coyotes may be playing a part there as well and increase in hogs might have impact. I don't think it is hunter numbers as I continue to see large number of hunters across the county. The biggest drop is in the buck kills, 20% from 2018 to 2021.

And GO DAWGS, it was a short night last night, got maybe 3 hours sleep, but well worth it. My youngest was there, red head on the right.
IMG_5881.jpg

Last edited:

Buford_Dawg

Maybe you OC residents can get some snow and get out in the woods Sunday and tramp around and follow animal tracks, I'm gonna be hunkered down here in Buford praying ICE doenst knock out the power. Whereever you are, be safe this weekend. Do plan on being in Athens Saturday for the parade and ceremonies, acquired tickets yesterday, Go Dawgs.

Grunt-n-bleat

Here is my season in review for my hunting area down in OC.

This was my first year joining this club way down DPR. Had a great season overall.
Was able to take 2 bucks. Saw deer 90% of the time I hunted. Weather could have been better, several rainy weekends messed up my plans. Sometimes that's the way it goes. Very thankful i was even able to deer hunt this year.

Back in March I had lumbar L4-L5 fusion, so took me a while to get the physical strength up. Best therapy is riding down 78 and headed to the pine woods. Spending a day hunting and improving things for success.

I also wanna give a shout to Todd E. I have asked him a million questions about hunting hogs over the last several months and he has always gave me time tested knowledge. Haven't connected yet, but the day is coming. Preciate you sir!

Hope you all are ready for this weather we got coming. If it didn't take me a hour or so to get down there i would be hunting in the snow.