2022 Seasons/Limits

buckpasser

We used to not go more than a couple of days at most without seeing a Turkey on our farm. Most over ever seen at once was well over 60 at one time and most were hens in the fall. This was in the late 90’s.

This YEAR we have seen one Turkey. Well you could say we have seen three but I’m 98% sure it was the same gobbler three times. It’s true that most of our problem in my immediate area is habitat related but I also saw the first brood of poults within a 10 minute drive of the farm this year for the first time in a couple of years

Sorry to hear that on the major decline. My mind is blown with the number of poults around here this year. Let’s hope it’s a sign of things to come!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Sorry to hear that on the major decline. My mind is blown with the number of poults around here this year. Let’s hope it’s a sign of things to come!
Almost ALL of our neighbors decided to clear cut within about 3-5 years. One side was then sold for houses. 90% of our place is pasture so there’s not a lot we can do.

goblr77

I don't mind the regulations other than the 1 per day rule. Some people are limited on hunting time and should have the choice to end their season if two birds come in at once. I think decoys being outlawed would help limit the harvest more than the regulations changes going into effect. I would've also like to seen a limit on the the amount of licenses sold. They could issue licenses to residents and a have a lottery for non-residents. Just my two cents.

Dupree

I don't mind the regulations other than the 1 per day rule. Some people are limited on hunting time and should have the choice to end their season if two birds come in at once. I think decoys being outlawed would help limit the harvest more than the regulations changes going into effect. I would've also like to seen a limit on the the amount of licenses sold. They could issue licenses to residents and a have a lottery for non-residents. Just my two cents.
I agree with all you said except the 1 per day. I’ve always been a fan of that, I can tell you it has saved many Alabama gobblers from being killed by me, although I rarely try to shoot more than one per set up these days.

big lazer

If the population was in this much trouble then they should have closed the season completely for 3 years and let it rebound.

Timber1

BANNED
Two bird limit is fine with me. Gonna make it hard for yall to catch up tho when I decide to quit hunting. Not too thrilled that I cant take both from my wma. Dont really like killing the corn fed birds on John's Mtn. Guess I will just hit Bama and Tenn. a little harder this year. Didnt kill my 3 Ga. birds til the last 8 days of the season last year. Glad they took the days off the front end.

oppthepop

Lot's of good discussion here and passion filled. Here's my 2 cents -
for the last four years I have killed two gobblers on opening morning on our farm in Meriwether county. Looks like the DNR just changed that recipe for me. It is what it is. We have a roaming flock of about 40 hens that never seems to diminish, even with the high number of coyotes, coons, snakes, owls, etc. but such is nature. I try to plant as much chufa as I do clover, feeding the turkeys like we do the deer.
My own personal opinion is the reduction in numbers in some areas is due to springtime prescribed burns (we try to do in february before nesting), predation, and loss of habitat. But that's just my 2 cents, again. I saw where even Alabama has reduced the limit to 4 gobblers this year and redcued season length as well.
Time will tell, but I am pretty sure - EITHER WAY - this local flock of +- 40 hens will get bred again this spring, and from what I've seen over the years, about 10-12 pounlts will make it.
My advice -
1. trap or hunt predators if you like. We do, but not on a large scale
2. if you burn your pine forests, try to do so before the hends nest. Otherwise, you are burning up a lot of eggs.
3. Plant some chufa - I think you will be amazed.

spencer12

One of the arguments I’ve read is that killing a boss gobbler causes reproductive issues within the flock. I’ve also read that jakes are unable to successfully breed when this boss gobbler is eliminated. I’m not sure if this is relevant however I feel that it is. I raise heritage turkeys. I currently have 11 Narragansett turkeys. These turkeys were bred from wild turkeys and the original turkeys domesticated and brought to Europe many many years ago. A heritage turkey retains most of its wild abilities such as flying, naturally reproducing, foraging, etc. they are not the same as turkeys we buy in the supermarket.
This particular flock is 8 months old. I have two gobblers and nine hens. Artificial lighting causes them to breed earlier as they breed based on the amount of daylight (around 14 hrs which is springtime). Anyways in November, at 6 months old, they began laying and breeding. I found this odd but later learned leaving the night light on in their coup at night caused this. Anyways my gobblers began successfully breeding and hens began laying fertile eggs ( I know because I incubated them). The hens also don’t really care which gobbler breeds them although one is dominant and the other is subordinate. So the whole killing the boss gobbler thing messing the whole process up baffles me.
I say all that to say I don’t understand how a wild turkey Jake could not successfully breed a hen (they can), in the absence of a “mature” gobbler. As mine were breeding successfully at only 6 months.
Maybe completely unrelated but as a turkey hunter I found their behavior interesting. I hope the population rebounds and we make the necessary changes or take the correct steps to achieve this.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I believe all that observing knowledge is helpful spencer

Dupree

One of the arguments I’ve read is that killing a boss gobbler causes reproductive issues within the flock. I’ve also read that jakes are unable to successfully breed when this boss gobbler is eliminated. I’m not sure if this is relevant however I feel that it is. I raise heritage turkeys. I currently have 11 Narragansett turkeys. These turkeys were bred from wild turkeys and the original turkeys domesticated and brought to Europe many many years ago. A heritage turkey retains most of its wild abilities such as flying, naturally reproducing, foraging, etc. they are not the same as turkeys we buy in the supermarket.
This particular flock is 8 months old. I have two gobblers and nine hens. Artificial lighting causes them to breed earlier as they breed based on the amount of daylight (around 14 hrs which is springtime). Anyways in November, at 6 months old, they began laying and breeding. I found this odd but later learned leaving the night light on in their coup at night caused this. Anyways my gobblers began successfully breeding and hens began laying fertile eggs ( I know because I incubated them). The hens also don’t really care which gobbler breeds them although one is dominant and the other is subordinate. So the whole killing the boss gobbler thing messing the whole process up baffles me.
I say all that to say I don’t understand how a wild turkey Jake could not successfully breed a hen (they can), in the absence of a “mature” gobbler. As mine were breeding successfully at only 6 months.
Maybe completely unrelated but as a turkey hunter I found their behavior interesting. I hope the population rebounds and we make the necessary changes or take the correct steps to achieve this.
Turkeys for Tomorrow has gotten with a few other groups and are doing a study in Alabama this spring. They are going to be collecting the testicles from Male turkeys killed (from willing participants) and see if they are producing fertile sperm. They also want to know the conditions under which he was killed, and was he with hens, was he with other gobblers, was he gobbling, was he strutting, etc.

Turkeys for Tomorrow has gotten with a few other groups and are doing a study in Alabama this spring. They are going to be collecting the testicles from Male turkeys killed (from willing participants) and see if they are producing fertile sperm. They also want to know the conditions under which he was killed, and was he with hens, was he with other gobblers, was he gobbling, was he strutting, etc.

Here is the link, easy to donate, its non-profit of course.

https://turkeysfortomorrow.org/new-turkey-research-projects-are-underway/

For many of us here the 25 bucks to become a partner is less than what we spend on gas for a morning hunt in April.

cowhornedspike

Here is the link, easy to donate, its non-profit of course.

https://turkeysfortomorrow.org/new-turkey-research-projects-are-underway/

For many of us here the 25 bucks to become a partner is less than what we spend on gas for a morning hunt in April.

I will support TFT as long as they are doing new independent research and NOT just following along with the view that Mike Chamberlain is pushing. His opinion (and the states buying wholesale into it) is the reason we lost the best part of our season this year...doubtful we will ever get it back.

I will support TFT as long as they are doing new independent research and NOT just following along with the view that Mike Chamberlain is pushing. His opinion (and the states buying wholesale into it) is the reason we lost the best part of our season this year...doubtful we will ever get it back.

Ditto my friend. From what I am seeing this is an entirely parallel project and frankly with the timing, I wonder if it didn't arise based on the Chamberlain agenda.

It will be neat to see their findings side by side, or both project leaders on the same podcast / interview etc :)

I don't like how chamberlain's work avoided the late prescribed burns and other big timber / almighty dollar variables. I doubt these guys poke the bear either.