209 primer question

rubicon_in_ga

I did a search but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. With the ongoing shortage of primers, I occassionally see "209 Muzzleloader Primers" advertised. Are these interchangeable with regular 209 primers for reloading? Reason I ask, I'm doing blackpowder shotgun shell reloads, and I'm thinking since those primers are supposed to be for muzzleloading anyway, they ought to ignite black powder reloads just as easily, right? Didn't know if there was a fitment issue or anything with the shotgun shells, but I would imagine not. Anybody have any experience with this?

frankwright

I can't give you a for sure answer. I do know "Muzzleloader 209" primers are not as hot as standard 209 primers.
They say the hotter 209 leaves too much unnecessary crud in a ML barrel and may make follow up shots difficult.
As to whether they will work in a black powder shotgun shell? My guess is yes but you will have to try it to actually know.
If you get just south of the Latoya Jackson Hartsfield International Airport and Hair Weave, I probably have some of both I can donate to the experiment.
Too many legal hassles to mail.
Good Luck!

rubicon_in_ga

If you get just south of the Latoya Jackson Hartsfield International Airport and Hair Weave, I probably have some of both I can donate to the experiment.
Too many legal hassles to mail.
Good Luck!

HAHAHA That's the best name I've ever heard for that catastrophe we call Atlanta Airport! LOL I'm actually in Fayetteville, so that may work out perfect! I'll PM you! Thanks!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
There are instances where the hotter/magnum 209 like Federal 209A type primers would push the powder/bullet a small ways down the barrel before full ignition and erratic ignition and accuracy was the result.
Muzzleloader branded primers are probably rebranded Standard primers, but are a good bet that they are the better ones to use.