209A primers

common man

Just wondering what the main differance is in using federal 209A primers. I finally found some and ordered today. So my initial text load will be the 209A primer, 2 777 pellets, and a 250 grain SSt sabot from hornady. Just wanted to know ya'lls thoughts?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Just wondering what the main differance is in using federal 209A primers. I finally found some and ordered today. So my initial text load will be the 209A primer, 2 777 pellets, and a 250 grain SSt sabot from hornady. Just wanted to know ya'lls thoughts?

Where and price
Thanks

common man

By the time I paid shipping hazmat fee I was at $113.00 for 1000 primers. It was on midwayusa.com. Then later in the day I looked and it was back on backorder.

common man

Main thing I'm trying to ask is anyone who uses 777 pellets. Have you used the hotter primers and what was the effect? Read the 209A primer was one of the hottest primers.

JR924

There was that vendor that advertised a 25 acp primer converter for the NEF Huntsman and Sidekick. He claimed the 209 primer was too hot and disturbed the load which affected the accuracy. He showed proof on his website but I have no idea if he is right. If he is right, the accuracy from the 209A primer would be worse than a 209 primer. Never had a problem with ignition of 777 or Pyrodex from regular 209 primers.

SDK

Blackhorn 209 powder is designed to be paired with the 209A primers. I use this combo and it works really well. If you are using 777 pellets the 209A primers will still work fine, but there won’t be a noticeable difference vs using muzzleloader specific or CCI primers.

Gophfer

I was fortunate to have a friend who no longer reloads that has 209 primers. He gave me a sleeve. Enough to sight in and hunt this fall.

Reactions: RNC

K80Shooter

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Academy at Athens has some. I bought a 100 package today. $15

K80Shooter

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Some very kind gestures being made here. If your going to talk selling something take it to PM, thank you.