.22 hornet on the way

bullgator

I’ve never had much luck getting the .22 hornet to shoot to my likings. I’ve had a Ruger #1 and a Cooper and neither one would stay under about 1.5” @100. I still have dies for guns of my past and the hornet is one of them. So being recently retired, and bored with this virus stuff, I decided take on a project of giving one another try. I have a CZ 527 American on it ‘s way for delivery to my FFL on Wednesday. I’ll pick a scope from several sitting around and load up some for a trip to the range. My experience with CZs has given me some hope for reasonably to very good accuracy.

If this goes well.........a Kimber Hunter in .257 Roberts may be next since I have those dies also. Don’t worry, the .270 Weatherby is NOT on my project list!, but those dies need a new home. :biggrin2:

Lilly001

I’ve got a hornet.
I seldom use it as it fills a unique niche between a.17 hmr and a .223.
I end up using them instead.
But a new gun always brightens the possibilities.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Mr. Or Mrs. H22 may not be happy with this!!!!!!

I have never owned a 22 hornet but I have shot a couple and they are sweet little guns!!

ol bob

One of the things on my bucket list was to make a gun lock, stock, and barrel, it ended up being a stevens 44 1/2 in 22 hornet sweet little gun.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The Win Model 70 .22 Hornet was the classic wild turkey rifle. I wonder how the Chiappa Sharps does in .22 Hornet. Gil

SC Hunter

I had a ruger M77 stainless laminate in 22 hornet. That rifle was very accurate as far a 22 Hornets go. I shot 2 or 3 deer with it and ended up selling it to help pay for our wedding. It shot good and I enjoyed shooting crows and varmints with it but I did nothing one of my 223's cant do.

bullgator

For just pure fun to shoot, the little hornet and a .30 carbine are pretty hard to beat.

hdgapeach

I picked up an old Winchester Model 43 in .22 Hornet at an auction a couple of years ago for $95. No one else at the auction had a clue about the calibre, which is why I got it so cheap. Sweet little rifle with the only "bad" being the barell and receiver drilled for scope mounts (that weren't with the rifle). I still don't know what ammo it shoots the best, but it sure is fun to plink with. I'll eventually get some quality paper time with it to figure out what ammo it shoots best. I think the biggest challenge I'm gonna have is figuring out what mounts to use for adding a scope. Hopefully I can find something that will be able to utilize what's already been drilled and threaded.

bullgator

I picked up an old Winchester Model 43 in .22 Hornet at an auction a couple of years ago for $95. No one else at the auction had a clue about the calibre, which is why I got it so cheap. Sweet little rifle with the only "bad" being the barell and receiver drilled for scope mounts (that weren't with the rifle). I still don't know what ammo it shoots the best, but it sure is fun to plink with. I'll eventually get some quality paper time with it to figure out what ammo it shoots best. I think the biggest challenge I'm gonna have is figuring out what mounts to use for adding a scope. Hopefully I can find something that will be able to utilize what's already been drilled and threaded.
I hope you can get the mounts figured out and enjoy that old shooting iron.

Buckhead

Have heard good things about the CZs in .22 and .17 Hornet. Been tempted myself to try one.

Previous experience with a .22 Hornet was not good. Had a Ruger #3 that patterned like a shotgun.

Cool round. Fills the gap between the .22 mag and .223. Relatively quiet, good 150 yd predator hunting cartridge. Make sure and post how your CZ shoots.

bullgator

Have heard good things about the CZs in .22 and .17 Hornet. Been tempted myself to try one.

Previous experience with a .22 Hornet was not good. Had a Ruger #3 that patterned like a shotgun.

Cool round. Fills the gap between the .22 mag and .223. Relatively quiet, good 150 yd predator hunting cartridge. Make sure and post how your CZ shoots.
Will do. I hope it shoots somewhere near as good as my 527 in .223. That gun can keep just about everything under an inch, and several loads at half that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Dub

That’s a mighty nice rifle you have inbound for that 22 Hornet.

Sure will be a fun plinking round.

It’s going to be lots of fun. Looking forward to seeing your range reports and handloading progress.

Forever whatever the reason, I’ve just never been bitten by the rim fire bug. What you are doing with this one does have my interest.

Last edited:

bullgator

That’s a mighty nice rifle you have inbound for that 22 Hornet.

Sure will be a fun plinking round.

It’s going to be lots of fun. Looking forward to seeing your range reports and handloading progress.

Forever the reason, I’ve just never been bitten by the rim fire bug. What you are doing with this one does have my interest.
Well I’m not going too big on the scope. I have a 2-8, 3-9, and a 3-12 available. That should be plenty to find out if it’s a shooter. Don’t want to jinx myself, but I’m feeling optimistic bout this one.

Last edited:

specialk

got an original springfield scout in 22 hornet/410....survival gun......great for backpacking/camping....

Darien1

I found a Ruger 77 Hornet at a Pawn Shop in SE Georgia last year and although I had absolutely no need for it the $350 out the door price tag was just too good to pass up. I haven't had it on the range yet but at 50 yards I can punch one little hole in a target and it's heck on crows around my back yard feeder

blakely

I used to have a Handi-rifle in 22 Hornet. For fun, I'd prime a spent case and push 22 caliber airgun pellet in flush with the end of the case. Sometimes, I might add a grain or so of a fast burning pistol powder. The rounds were quiet, no recoil and lots of fun for plinking around.
I used to use the rifle with regular ammo to shoot armadillos after season on a lease I was on. We were covered up with them. It was a good armadillo gun.

bullgator

Well I picked up the rifle today only to realize I didn’t have any rings for it :banginghe:banginghe. I could have sworn they came with CZ rifles. So I immediately order some Warne rings which won’t be here until late next week. Dang, I was ready to mount a scope and get to squeezing.

deast1988

I got a ruger m77/22H fantastic little gun softpoints for crows an squirrels do great,

Reactions: Dub

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Mr. Or Mrs. H22 may not be happy with this!!!!!!

I have never owned a 22 hornet but I have shot a couple and they are sweet little guns!!
Don't bother me none and H22 aint one to voice his opinion on here. I heard through the grape vine that if you're a really good shot, a hornet 22 will kill lots of deer with no wasted meat. That's just what I've heard.

Last edited: