.22 Pistol

Rich M

I've been eyeing .22 pistols and wondering about the best bang for the buck. Would like to keep it under $450.

Tried a Walther P-22 and it is a nice little gun but not accurate enough for me. Neither I nor the missus could do better than a 2.5-3 inch group at say 30 feet.

What's a good .22 pistol?

Looking at Buckmark & Mark IV. What else is out there that'll shoot a squirrel's eye out?

RFWobbly

>> Do NOT bother with the Heritage line.

>> Some pistol makes offer a 22 adapter kit (usually a complete slide) that fits their lower. These "kits" can run the same price as a complete pistol, so you may not save any money, but for training purposes they can offer a big advantages.

Last edited:

snuffy

Let me know if you can find one of the Browning or Rugers. Have been looking for one myself. I keep giving my 22 pistols away.

SC Hunter

I've got a heritage that stays in the golf cart all the time and 1 inside the house they are accurate enough to shoot varmints around the yard or a snake if need be. I've also got a taurus tx22 that shoots really good. I had a walther but didn't like it and couldn't shoot it well.

My brother has a Mark IV that he's put a lighter trigger in that is very accurate! Like for a 22 pistol its ridiculously accurate. Him and his friends get together a few times a month and have friendly shooting competitions and he does well with that Mark IV.

lonewolf247

I just bought a Browning Buckmark. It’s more accurate than I expected. I also bought a reflex sight, that I do like, but I’ve shot it with and without the sight and it shoots good.

ryanh487

Ruger 22/45 mk IV would be my choice. Love my mk III and the easy takedown upgrade on the IV makes me want one bad even though i have little need or use for another .22 pistol.

I love my buckmark too, but browning is a lot prouder of their magazines than Ruger and there aren't any mecgar (great mag manufacturer) options last i checked like there are for my Ruger. I had it for many years prior to the ruger and it has put a few squirrels in the pot. It is deadly accurate and I have spent hours busting charcoal briquettes at 25 yards off hand with very few misses. I do have the hunter model with a 7.25" bull barrel so it is not a fair comparison to my ruger with a 4.5" barrel, i bought that one primarily as a supressor host.

Another consideration is this. If you want the variability of swapping out barrels for whatever reason, the browning is friendlier for this. You can order taclite barrels/etc online with no FFL involved.

Ruger, on the other hand, has the entire barrel assembly with the SN and it is considered a firearm. All new barrels have to come through an FFL and it's the same process as buying an entire gun. The ruger does meter a few dB quieter on suppressor tests, though, since the action only opens on one side vs. 2 on the buckmark.

Last edited:

lonewolf247

Just to add, in light of ryanh487’s post, the Browning Buckmark, is not near as easy to take down, or field strip, if this is important to you. I think it’s not recommended to do so, on a routine basis in the Manual. The Ruger is definitely better on that score. IMO, those 2 would be my recommendation though. A lot depends on what you are wanting to do with it. I don’t think you could wrong either way.