.22 Pistol

killerv

I ran across a 1987 buckmark in the box with all paperwork about a year ago. Came with an old school browning basketweave holster that still had the tag on it. Neat find, I already had an old catalog from that year. Still have yet to shoot it. I have the newer bull barrel nickle version, when I academy had them on sale for 329 I couldn't get there fast enough.

NsvVhdf.jpg

Pn6AUne.jpg

Darkhorse

Besides an automatic .22 pistol here's another one for consideration. That is if the criteria is a pistol that will shoot a squirrels eye out.
The Ruger single six with a six inch barrel is squirrel's eye accurate. With the 6" barrel you also get a longer sighting plane which enhance's accuracy.
I have the stainless convertible model which means a .22 magnum cylinder was included in the purchase. I've owned or shot a lot of .22 pistols over the years and I was surprised at the accuracy of this Ruger single action. Of course as with anything you must shoot several brands of ammo to find the ones your pistol likes.
Just another option. Some folks don't like .22 autos that much, so here's a single action that fits the criteria.

menhadenman

^ Darkhorse makes a great point on ammo... I've burned through a lot of 22 ammo before thinking of actually making comparisons. Here's a pic from last summer with five shot groups at about 25 yards, can't remember which gun. Point being that the subs drop like a rock, the fast stuff is a little erratic, and the other stuff varies quite a bit. Ammo is in the order of the groups.

IMG_1775.JPEG

Rich M

Great stuff guys! Seems to be the Browning or the Ruger if we were having a poll. Pretty close.

I wasn't aware of the Taurus or the S&W versions. A little behind the times for sure. Gonna look at them and see what the specs are and such.

Like the comments about field stripping and noise levels too.

menhadenman

I had a Taurus PT-22 that my wife picked out (so I rolled with it)... eventually sold it after she never took interest in shooting it and I thought it was garbage. Trigger wouldn't always reset and it was tough to operate for her. I've also got one of the SR22s (another Ruger) with maybe 2k rounds through it. Pretty fun but not nearly as accurate and it gets gummed up pretty easy since most 22 ammo is filthy stuff.

I think you'd be solid with the Browning or Ruger mentioned above.

ldavid008

Hold both in your hands before deciding. Buddy got a Ruger almost 25 years ago and was very proud of it, I was looking for a .22 pistol as well. But it felt horrible in my hand, the Buckmark on the other hand fit me like a glove so I went with it. Not as easy to take down and clean, but not so bad and it shoots lights out.

MX5HIGH

I have a Taurus TX22 and I really like it. Easy trigger, safety, lightweight and fun to shoot. The magazines hold 16 rounds however I ordered an extension for one of my magazines so then it will be 19 rounds.E7013174-2DD0-4387-B31E-9474D2657683.png

Last edited:

chuckdog

I've never had an issue with the Ruger disassembly/reassembly. I honestly think I could field strip and reassemble one while blindfolded.

The MKIV just ain't my cup of tea. I admit it, I can't get past the looks to even want to shoot one.

Too many new choices for me to advise anyone on current offerings.

As others have already said, even at the close distances most handguns are fired the ammo choice makes a huge difference in your .22's performance. I shoot standard velocity almost exclusively. The exception is Federal Auto-Match. Wait till the dust settles a bit on pricing before buying much of any type now.

I have 3 or 4 boxes left of the Federal Auto-Match that I bought from Palmetto State Armory a year or two back that was priced at around $12/box of 325 plus free shipping on 3 or more.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Nobody mentioned the Browning 22-1911. It is not an inexpensive option but I like it. It is a pistol that you can carry all day and forget you got it. I carry mine quite a bit around the house. Very lightweight and got a nostalgic flavor to it. Accurate and compact, familiar grip angle and controls3B37E403-2C45-4EDC-A21B-A3B094A57147.jpegthis 22 (top) is pictured with my wife’s favorite 380, they are identical in size. both are very reliable

Nimrod71

When I brought my BuckMark about 30 years ago I was amazed how good it shot. My eyes and hands were a lot better back then as most young folks are, any way I could shot pecans out of the trees with it. It accounted for a good number of squirrels and rabbits and a few varmints as well. I have Rugers to but when I need a one shot kill with a 22 pistol I use the BuckMark.

Rich M

Dad used to have an older standard. I was wearing it one day when a couple of guys came up to cause trouble, saw the gun on my hip and changed their minds. I was 17 at the time.

Also had a Remington 1911 22 back in the 80s, early 90s that I loved. Ex got that in the divorce.

The Buckmark and Mark IV are about 2 pounds weight with the 1911 being 1 pound.

Wish I could go and put hands on some but not finding anyone who has em in stock.

Stump Shooter

Not sure what they go for now but my Ruger 22/45 is a nail driver, it is about 18 years old. One of those I have never thought of getting rid of great for target and small game.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
hard to beat an old school standard, I've bought two of them the past few years, both shops had them marked as MKI.

This was the last one, joker was like new

Sy5Tvpp.jpg

That is clean!!!!!

Love a standard.

Darien1

I've shot and owned a lot of .22 pistols and the absolute most accurate one, by far, was my H&R 999 Sportsman. There are usually a few on Gun Broker and I think if I was going to get one I would get an older one from the 40's or 50's They were just better back then. Check them out.