.22 Pistol

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a MKIII .22/45 Ruger with the 6" bull barrel. I would not sell it for twice what I paid for it. It is the most accurate handgun of any caliber or style I have ever owned in 53 years of living.

tad1

1615517511385.jpegBought a Ruger markII kmk512 years ago, added a volquartzen sear and trigger is super nice now, not one I’d carry cocked!. absolute tack driver..... would be very unlikely to part with it. The newer “easy” takedown does seem like a neat feature but I never had issues with the old style, could probably assemble in the dark. Did I mention the accuracy? Lights out.....

krizia829

I have the Smith & Wesson M&P 22 Compact and that little thing is FUN!! Very accurate too and has the option to put a suppressor if you'd like. Adjustable sights, I forgot if it came with only 1 or 2 mags but they're 10rd cap. Has a fixed barrel which helps with accuracy. Lightweight, easy to disassemble, and I have never had an issue with mine. Surprisingly not very picky with ammo either. Mine at least.. I just wish I can find more rounds at the price I used to pay! I do basic pistol shooting instruction and that's my go to for my students and I have yet to hear any complaints about it. Good luck!

Rich M

BPS has the Buckmark in stock. The handgun case and rifle rack were surprisingly full. Ammo wasn't - some Federal 20 and 12 ga turkey stuff. That was it.

They were calling off names, not sure where the sign in place was. Gonna have to make a visit when I can be in and out more quickly. Like not having to order on GB.

GA1dad

I know this thread has been mostly semi auto themed,,, but sometimes a double action wheel gun gets the nod. I've owned this Rossi M518 22lr twice. Traded it off once for a John Deere riding mower,,,, later traded an SKS to get it back. Now I'm pretty sure it'll be handed down to one of my kids when I'm gone. I have dispatched many a critter with it over the years. Great shooter for fishing/camping expeditions.

20210313_104607.jpg

Rich M

I know this thread has been mostly semi auto themed,,, but sometimes a double action wheel gun gets the nod. I've owned this Rossi M518 22lr twice. Traded it off once for a John Deere riding mower,,,, later traded an SKS to get it back. Now I'm pretty sure it'll be handed down to one of my kids when I'm gone. I have dispatched many a critter with it over the years. Great shooter for fishing/camping expeditions.

View attachment 1071848
My mom has a SS 22 revolver w a red dot on it that she shoots lights out.

She'll sit there in the shade and shoot 30-50 feet, gets the bull most of the time. Funny watching her holding that shaky gun and about 80% of the time its in the bull. Put out some balloons and that old lady will pop every one - near or far.

Shooting is always a fun family thing for us...

Dub

My mom has a SS 22 revolver w a red dot on it that she shoots lights out.

She'll sit there in the shade and shoot 30-50 feet, gets the bull most of the time. Funny watching her holding that shaky gun and about 80% of the time its in the bull. Put out some balloons and that old lady will pop every one - near or far.

Shooting is always a fun family thing for us...

(y) Mighty cool right there. That's whatcha call made in the shade. :flag:

russ1745

Own a Ruger Mark 2 Competition (tapered) and now a Mark 4 Hunter (fluted bull). Both are stainless, have a 6 7/8" barrel, and are VERY accurate. The Mark 2 is in the proces of being "accurized" by Volquartsen. Forget about brand names, and shoot what's best for you.

stonecreek

This is my Ruger Mark 1. It’s a couple decades old but has never misfired. Needs a good cleaning tho. Can’t begin to imagine the death count with it. Carry it on trap line. And just last year sent over 75 trapped hogs over the Rainbow Bridge. Stays in truck most of the time . But gonna shine her up this weekend.EC1C3C38-798C-4F8E-8884-C2523737872F.jpeg

bevills1

Finding the one you want may be a problem especially if you are looking for a new one. Every place I checked was out of stock on new ones. I found a few used on Guns America, but shipping is like $35 to $50 depending on seller. That's rather high shipping cost imo.

I like the very good accuracy of the Buckmark in reviews I saw, but I like the easy take down of the Mark IV. The Mark IV also appears to be made in a wider selection of models vs the Buckmark, i.e. stainless or blue, all steel or steel and aluminum, standard, target, hunter, etc. I think I'd be happy with either one and would likely the the first one I could get at a good deal.

snuffy

Bought a Buck Mark at Barrows Friday they had several Rugers and Brownings in
stock

bevills1

BPS has the Buckmark in stock. The handgun case and rifle rack were surprisingly full. Ammo wasn't - some Federal 20 and 12 ga turkey stuff. That was it.

They were calling off names, not sure where the sign in place was. Gonna have to make a visit when I can be in and out more quickly. Like not having to order on GB.
The only Buckmark I find at BPS is used. The new ones show out of stock.

Rich M

Inventory is in a state of perpetual change these days. It is like if you want something you have to order it when you see it available

bevills1

Inventory is in a state of perpetual change these days. It is like if you want something you have to order it when you see it available
It may be even worse than that. By the time you see it available, it may be sold by the time the order is placed. I've encountered this same problem trying ti find a certain model side-by-side atv.

Clemson

From a gunsmith's perspective, the Standard Ruger Mark IV (NOT the 22/45) would be my choice for accuracy and reliability. The Buckmark has a plastic buffer that fails. The "Tactical" copies (Walther, SIG Mosquito, etc.) are not accurate or reliable. The Ruger has a great deal of history in its favor. I personally like the Mark II best of all, but the Mark IV is well made. As another poster said, the bull barrel models are very easy to shoot accurately.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
From a gunsmith's perspective, the Standard Ruger Mark IV (NOT the 22/45) would be my choice for accuracy and reliability. The Buckmark has a plastic buffer that fails. The "Tactical" copies (Walther, SIG Mosquito, etc.) are not accurate or reliable. The Ruger has a great deal of history in its favor. I personally like the Mark II best of all, but the Mark IV is well made. As another poster said, the bull barrel models are very easy to shoot accurately.
What do you have against the 22/45? I have owned MKI, II, and III, and I like my MKIV 22/45 better than any of them. I've owned it about 15 years, and never had any trouble from it. Accurate, reliable, and dependable after thousands of rounds.

Buckhead

After owning a std Mark, a bull barrel Mark 2 and a Mark 4 22/45 lite, I also prefer the 22/45 model. Mostly the weight, but also the grip angle. My Glocks cured me of polymer frame phobia.

Clemson

Different guns appeal to different people. I prefer an all-steel gun, and I like the grip angle of Ruger’s steel frames. In my opinion (only), the 22/45 is a great deal less expensive for a reason — durability. Not to say it is a bad gun, but I like the others better.