220’Swift Load

SC Hunter

I shot some 40 grain moly coated vmax factory loaded from Hornady when I had a swift and they were bad to the bone. Another one of those guns I hate I traded off for something else I eventually got rid of.

Nimrod71

The 220 is a real barn burner. Back in the early 80's I bought a 220 to compare with my 33-250. I had been shooting the 22-250 since 74 and I really liked it. It was a great target round and I killed every thing I shoot with it. But I had heard how much better the 220 was so I bought one to try. My best load was 42 gr. of H380 with a 52 gr. Sierra. On targets it was not as consistent as the 250 but it did kill every thing, but like SC I swapped it off for another. I too wish I had it back it was a really nice Mod. 70 Winchester.

pacecars

What is the twist and what do you plan on shooting with it?

chase870

Possum Sox
What is the twist and what do you plan on shooting with it?

Not sure of the twist rate it's a Remington 700 Heavy Barrel synthetic stock. I shoot a variety of things from flicker tail gophers to deer on occasion. The primary function of this rifle now is a dedicated coyote gun with thermal on it. I shoot a trijacon Mark III thermal which is excellent for long range seeing things clearly is no problem. The last yote I killed was at 197 yards. I was shooting a federal premium load with a 52 grain hollow point. I think the velocity was somewhere in the 3700 fps range. I have a pile of brass and am wanting a faster flatter shooting load.

SC Hunter

I think Barnes has or had a 36 grain Varmint grenade round that would move on pretty good. I would have to look but I think it was published data of it going ~42-4300 fps. We shot 40 grain loads out of mine and they were devastating on everything.

pacecars

If Coyote is primary but you still might want to shoot a deer I would go with the 45 gr Barnes listed above. If you want to blow up some ‘yotes you could go with their 36 gr varmint grenade but I don’t know if it would work on deer. I have used the 45 gr and 53 gr in a 1:7 .223 and a 1:12 .22-250 on deer and they work very well and will punch through shoulders with no problem. Haven’t shot any smaller critters with them but they should work well and not damage the pelt too bad. They do expand well and keep going

Last edited:

furtaker

The Varmint Grenade is a lead free bullet and would lose its velocity in a hurry.

I'd probably look into a 40 or 50gr V-max for coyotes. I've never owned a Swift but I've killed a couple of coyotes with the 40 grainers in 22-250 and they are very deadly and very messy.

SC Hunter

@furtaker the 40 grain moly coated V-Max in a 220 were ridiculous! I'm talking about just holy terror on everything I shot at! That bullet load is discontinued I believe, I haven't bought 220 swift ammo in 8 years or so.

sleepr71

I’d think a 45-52gr Vmax is about as good as it gets for a Varmint bullet. I wouldn’t trust it on Hogs unless making head/neck shots only. I’ve used 55-70gr Vmax in my .243 & that’s probably about the same speed as a Swift. I have shot several Hogs & Yotes out to 250 yds with those rounds & they all fell DRT? No pass thru..just explosive energy dump! When that 55gr Vmax hits flesh at 4000fps….it sounds like slapping a pack of Ground Beef ????

chase870

Possum Sox
Well I have broken down and started tumbling the brass I think the majority will be Hornady brass so I will keep the brass the same. sounds like the bullet weight needs to be in the 50 grain area. Any powder recommendations, I would like to be able to load .223 and 30.06 as well not sure if there is a powder that will work for multiple loads