223 ?

Jester896

Senior Clown
It’s a Hornady factory. The black box & a friend of a friend reloaded about 60ty of them for me. Not sure if the details.

OK so the are hand loads? I think those are more for a Valkyrie and the twist rates they have. The 90-95 gr Sierra Match Kings need a 1:6.5 or faster twist to perform well. I can't find any info on the Hornady A-Tip twist rate requirements.

what are you shooting them in?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
OK so the are hand loads? I think those are more for a Valkyrie and the twist rates they have. The 90-95 gr Sierra Match Kings need a 1:6.5 or faster twist to perform well. I can't find any info on the Hornady A-Tip twist rate requirements.

what are you shooting them in?
A. R platform made by mutiny firearms out of fla.

transfixer

I have learned so much from y’all in here. Never knew a simple 223 was so complex. ?

I remember there was a discussion a whle back about the difference between .223 and 5.56, I don't remember if you mentioned which one your barrel was ? or if you knew what twist rate it was ? if its 1 in 8 inches, or 1 in 9 then the 55gr loads should be plenty accurate, if its 1 in 7 inches ? maybe, might not be pin point accurate at longer distances, but should be good enough for pigs at 100 yds or less,

easy way to remember,

faster/shorter twist, heavier bullets

slower/longer twist, lighter bullets

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Sweet little rifle with a ATN sitting on top. Sees well out to the 150 yards.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I remember there was a discussion a whle back about the difference between .223 and 5.56, I don't remember if you mentioned which one your barrel was ? or if you knew what twist rate it was ? if its 1 in 8 inches, or 1 in 9 then the 55gr loads should be plenty accurate, if its 1 in 7 inches ? maybe, might not be pin point accurate at longer distances, but should be good enough for pigs at 100 yds or less,

easy way to remember,

faster/shorter twist, heavier bullets

slower/longer twist, lighter bullets
I keep forgetting to find out also. Til I do I’ve been shooting plain ol 223 ?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I just ask myself at what distance I am willing to get hit by one of these caliber bullets and hunt game closer.:huh:

bighonkinjeep

That 50gr Fiocchi is a varmint load with a lightweight very rapidly expanding fragmenting bullet meant for exploding prairie dogs, groundhogs and such and not so much for penetration or larger game. Since hogs are somewhat larger and have that shoulder plate, you may want to put it behind the ear on a hog. I've always used 64gr nosler bonded core bullets not wanting to risk shallow penetration.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
That 50gr Fiocchi is a varmint load with a lightweight very rapidly expanding fragmenting bullet meant for exploding prairie dogs, groundhogs and such and not so much for penetration or larger game. Since hogs are somewhat larger and have that shoulder plate, you may want to put it behind the ear on a hog. I've always used 64gr nosler bonded core bullets not wanting to risk shallow penetration.
Will do. A lot of hogs we shoot to eat are around 100 pds. Coyotes think will be ok. Big hog if presented will try head shots.

bullgator

Kmac, are you sure they’re 95 grain bullets? It seems 75 might be about as heavy as most would go in a .223/5.56 loading.

divinginn

55 and 60 grain Hornady soft points with 25 grains of Tac powder will kill what needs killing.
I have seen 90 grain in 223 but they were used in rifles with a longer cut chamber than standard.
I think 80 grains is the largest for normal rifles with a 1 in 7 rifleing.

Nimrod71

I would not consider hogs as varmints, even though they act like them. They are destroyers. As for the 50 gr. bullets they may be ok of coyotes but I would not want to shoot hogs with them. But when that is all you have you must use what you got. Good Luck.