22LR for hogs

Tentwing

My comment I fear will not be much help as I have never shot a hog with a 22lr . However I have put many on the ground with a 22 mag. Ear shots are the way to go(y) . Even with ear shots you still wanna go with a solid round. You don’t wanna use anything that will easily fragment. Bullet weight retention is the key when taking mid size game with a small caliber.

Kind of ashamed to admit this but I had 120lb. sow interrupt a squirrel hunt about a decade ago. She stopped long enough for me to convince myself that a Winchester 20 gr solid 17HMR round to the ear at 40 yards might work. At first I thought I might have somehow missed, because she never moved for about 5 or 6 seconds. Then she just fell straight over on her side. To my surprise there was a massive exit wound, but I was unable to find a entrance wound until I skinned her out.

I’m certainly not going to recommend a 17HMR for hogs , but I truly believe that “shot placement” is king ……… TW

Robust Redhorse

If I was using a 22 LR, I would try to shoot CCI Velocitors or a solid 40+grain bullet going 1200 fps, then no problem out to 50 yards.

I'm good with a 22 WMR with solid bullets all day long out to 100.

ScarFoot

Due to the small game season restrictions for hogs on base or the WMAs...does anyone have any recommendations for or against using 22lr? what about shot placement? is it still heart/lungs or should we use he

I've killed a handful with a .22, For small game legal hog hunting I use 12ga TSS in bb size, it's legal and deadly, I've killed them as far out as 62yds. It breaks bones and you don't need a still or completely visible pig in the thick stuff. Possibility of loss is too great with 22 long rifle, and one boar that I shot at close range with .22 lr charged knocked be down and cut my knee and calf requiring 40+ stitches, I like the shotgun!

Last edited:
My cousin's husband once shot a big boar with a 50 cal. muzzle loader. He was hunting the property alone then called me all excited and begging me to come and help him find it. I lived just up the road a piece. That hog ran way over a mile, much of it thru the thickest 40 acres of briar patch you ever did see. Never saw anything run that far whilst bleeding so much! When we found him 3 days later we figured out he'd been hit in the liver. Talk about gettin' religion and quick-there ain't many things scarier than crawling around on yer hands and knees thru thick-arse briars with a shotgun hoping and praying a wounded boar that you can't even see don't come charging at you. Thankfully, he made a huge circle thru them briars then headed downhill into the local swamp. Now, gettin' into there was a whole boatload lot of fun, too. Buzzards were what led us to him but it being mid-August the carcass was too far gone to do anything other than feed them buzzards... A shame, too-he was a big ol' hog.

HogKillaDNR

Doug B.

I wonder how some Long Beard XR in 12 guage would do.
I killed one a few years ago with Winchester Super XX's in a 12 guage while turkey hunting. It wasn't the gun I would have picked to shoot a hog with but the opportunity presented itself so I took advantage of it. It was a 60 to 70 pound hog. I shot it behind the front leg and it ran about 40 yards. It was close when I shot it, maybe 6 or 8 yards, but I wouldn't want to shoot one at a long distance.

Dusty Roads

Due to the small game season restrictions for hogs on base or the WMAs...does anyone have any recommendations for or against using 22lr? what about shot placement? is it still heart/lungs or should we use head shots? I assume I would need to be closer (75 yards or less) to the hog to get an effective hit. I honestly don't even feel comfortable using a 22 unless someone out there can say for sure its a safe bet. I'd hate to shoot a hog and have it run without a bloodtrail....

Any advice is helpful
Forget the 22LR-my dad and cuz's where gonna butcher one of the hogs/they forgot the 303 and so used 22,it bounced of its' head and did it squil and all of them went mad&about tore the whole pen down.What a bad time it was.

Gingergreen

Why not use a 22 magnum OR 17Hmr? I've killed more high with that round than any other. Rim fire and will get you into the small game seasons in GA. I'm not a fan of 22 lr for hogs.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Forget the 22LR-my dad and cuz's where gonna butcher one of the hogs/they forgot the 303 and so used 22,it bounced of its' head and did it squil and all of them went mad&about tore the whole pen down.What a bad time it was.
I've seen a whole lot of hogs killed with .22 LR headshots. Often with .22 shorts. It's about the angle you shoot them at if you're going for the between the eyes shot. Earhole or just above between the eyes from an upward angle does the deed quickly.

HogKillaDNR

Has anyone used CCI .22 Segmented Subsonic rounds for hogs?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I had one bad experience shooting a hog with a .22 LR last August. Shot it behind the ear in the spine. It went straight down, legs straightened out and rigid, didn't even squeal or kick. But after about 20 seconds on the ground, it began to kick. Rolled down the hillside and stopped in a log jam. It was able to barely get up and started struggling off. I perused it, but it outpaced me, and I lost it. Followed it on into darkness. That said, I think a .22 LR can be and is an effective tool when used in the right situations and the right way. I obviously didn't make the right shot, and the hog paid the price. It was a bad enough experience that I just bit the bullet and went out and bought a ML. Had I made the same shot with a .50, that hog would have been stone cold dead. The wound would have been too traumatic. I think the upside of toting a .50 is that where certain shot placements or errant shots yield questionable results from a .22, a .50 erases all possibility of wounding and results in a certain kill. By that I mean if your shot with a .22 is a little high, low, or back of say the heart lung area or ear canal, you can horribly mame the animal. But do that with a .50, and it is usually going to mean a dead hog. Catching a .22 bullet in the eye is going to be a bad ordeal for the hog if you miss the ear canal, but do that with a .50 and it's gonna kill the pig. I say if you are going to do it, then do it, but be precise and surgical. Don't take any quick shots where you can't get on your target accurately.

I walked up behind a HUGE sow with a bunch of piglets , all black. I had just got my Marlin semi auto in .22 Lr. She was quartering away perfect within 10 yards and i started sending bullets! I aimed behind the ear and after 3 or 4 shots, she flipped backwards towards me. I was NOT going to jump on her like some Murphy graduate! But I did stick the barrel n her ear and let off another couple, and another couple in the same area as she flopped! Did I tell you she was HUGE……..yes it was super intense!
I followed the blood triail til dark, but no luck. I called my friends and we went out that night and picked up the trail, but never recovered her…….it was my first epic fail and I’ll never forget it.

Oh yea, point being, shoot heart/lung if given the chance………..no doubt I could have popped her balloons with lung shots as she was quartering away. Dang she was big!

chrislibby88

Has anyone used CCI .22 Segmented Subsonic rounds for hogs?
Do NOT shoot anything at a pig designed to break up or fragment. Shooting a shrimp round like the .22 you want maximum weight retention for penetration through the skull or vitals. Most folks recommend lead solids, and I mostly agree, especially with .22 longrifle. I shoot .22 magnum 40gr game points, and have had really good luck with penetration and good expansion through vitals.

Gator89

I wonder how some Long Beard XR in 12 guage would do.

That's what I use, I haven't killed one with it yet but I'd say it would break his neck at 40 yards.

I killed a medium sized sow with a load of Apex TSS small town blend, I put the shot high right behind her shoulder at 10-12 steps, DRT.

A few years ago a buddy of mine shot a sow with #6 Federal turkey shot, it hurt her, but did not kill her immediately. He borrowed a #4 from me and that finished her off.

Last edited:

Davexx1

I agree with most others that a 22LR is marginal, but in capable experienced hands it can get the job done. A shot into the brain produces an instant and very humane death for any critter. A shot into the heart/lung area can be fatal, but usually requires a trail job that can be difficult or impossible to follow. Hogs are notorious for not leaving a blood trail from a small caliber bullet hole as their heavy hide and body fat quickly covers and seals the tiny bullet hole.

The issue with a 22LR bullet is that it is lightweight and made of soft lead with no outer hardened jacket. That bullet is easily deflected up or down or off to the side when it contacts heavy hide and bone. Your target (brain cavity) is fairly thick skull bone and is somewhat rounded like a baseball. If the 22 bullet does not strike dead in the center of that cavity, it can/will deflect off to the side or break up and not penetrate into the brain chamber. If the bullet hits directly in the center of the cavity it will penetrate and kill the animal. Trying to hit the center of the brain chamber on a moving animal can be challenging even at short distances. If you can, take a look at a hogs head or skull. Look at where the brain cavity is in the skull and that will give you a good idea of exactly where you have to hit the head from various angles to produce an instant kill.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts