.243 Ladder

Jester896

Senior Clown
Just got email from Hodgdon ...6.5 Staball is close to H4350 in burn speed ...

Which is faster than I thought it would be...
Me too

guess I need to give up on velocity and no flash combo and work on velocity and accuracy....although all I have seen so far is as they say.."Minute of Deer" :D

returntoarchery

Returntoarchry.... Didn't means to come off as I went back and read ...I am not great with words and come out as being short ...Sorry ....

No worries Briar. We're good. One of my guys on my team I directed at work before I retired said one day laughing to another team member "It took me two years to read his brain" when I was giving instructions during a crisis down system event. I was direct to the point and expected everyone to follow my train of thought and not have to explain every detail on things they should know.

I still error in that direction and fight the urge to write a book. Lol

returntoarchery

@Jester896 I used to fall for the chase the speed in my 270 Wins. Took me awhile but I finally got it in my head to stop chasing that rabbit and chase accuracy. A buddy of mine and standout competitor in the F-Class world told me once precision and accuracy trumps velocity every time.

There is a lot to be said in the confidence you have when you touch one off on that trophy buck with the consistent moa or less load versus a 100 fps faster sometimes 1.5 moa sometimes 2 moa load does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

BriarPatch99

Another friend has been working with his Tikki .243 ....he is about ready to give up on the TTSX because of expenses.... just have not been able to get it to group... tried Sierra 80gr ...one hole group ...

Jester896

Senior Clown
The only Barnes I have had good luck with so far is the 127LRX with H100V in my .260.

My .270 runs Accubonds slow with H4831SC and will dot an eye in a heartbeat. That right there proves to me that velocity isn't always the goal.

If I can get the SD down a good bit more than I am getting I think the accuracy will come around with it.

doomtrpr_z71

Another friend has been working with his Tikki .243 ....he is about ready to give up on the TTSX because of expenses.... just have not been able to get it to group... tried Sierra 80gr ...one hole group ...
Just curious is he loading to the book coal? The gmx and ttx has grouped well for my wife but they are loaded long. In my 6.8 the ttsx is king but the gold dot is much cheaper prince that does 90% of the job for 1/4 the price but they are way over the recommended coal as Remington was stupid and lazy even before they went bankrupt.

Jester896

Senior Clown
When I got this it had some copper and I got it out prior to starting this
Cleaning it tonight...from left to right...3 wet patches of Sweets...then dry patchs...followed by alcohol...2 center..Butch's...same procedure....last one the left is the wet patch of Montana's...the first dry patch through was as blue as that line and it drags pretty hard on the last 1/3 of the bore.

This is after only 20 fired rounds...will get borescope back out of my shop tomorrow.

IMG_0066.jpg

you would think that after that many copper cleaners the Montana's would have found any.

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

Just curious is he loading to the book coal? The gmx and ttx has grouped well for my wife but they are loaded long. In my 6.8 the ttsx is king but the gold dot is much cheaper prince that does 90% of the job for 1/4 the price but they are way over the recommended coal as Remington was stupid and lazy even before they went bankrupt.

We have tried multiple COAL ....50 to 200 thousands off lands ....
Hoping we just have not hit the magic combo yet ....Will shoot 80 grain Sierra into a one hole group ... Magazine limits too long unless single load...

The Barnes TTSX shoot 3/4" for me in my . 243 W model 700 ...

Jester896

Senior Clown
Well...been many things going on...I got the brass sized for the next volley yesterday. The light load showed no case stretch, the middle load showed .003 of stretch and the fire breathing load stretched the cases .005 so I feel that is going to be the final headspace at +.005 over SAAMI spec...not uncommon for a factory rifle. From here on out I will make sure everything is at .004 so the bolt closes with no issues. I will get the cases cleaned this week and get them loaded back up. I have strong plans to be in the shop every night this week getting it all done.

going to stop messing around and do what Briar said and go straight to H4831SC for the next batch