Time to vote

Votes: 9 14.1%

Votes: 47 73.4%
  • Something else MissouriBoy!

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters

MissouriBoy

Is that a tang safety model?
I have no clue. I’m new to these types of calibers and actions! But now that you asked I will figure out for sure, because I want to know!

transfixer

I believe the early M77's had the tang safety, when they went to the markII versions it was at the rear of the bolt, and three position, my .243 is a M77 tang safety version, bought new in the 80's

Good choice ! I've always liked the M77's, classic lines and just feels good ! and I've always like their scope mounts !

MissouriBoy

I believe the early M77's had the tang safety, when they went to the markII versions it was at the rear of the bolt, and three position, my .243 is a M77 tang safety version, bought new in the 80's

Good choice ! I've always liked the M77's, classic lines and just feels good ! and I've always like their scope mounts !
I was sold when I held it. I have a few synthetic stock weapons, but wanted the feel of a wooden stock. Walked into a place today and held it, looked through the scope, and knew it was the one!

Jimmypop

I have killed deer with 9 different calibers, only 2 of which I have lost deer, 243 and 30/30 .I doubt I shoot any one any better or worse than the other. When I got to the 270 I haven't used anything else. Don't plan to.

280 Man

Banned

You're right! I over looked the Mk2 comment he made about the rifle

Big7

The Oracle
Either will be fine, neither one will " knock a buck down " , but with proper placement either one will do the job, I prefer short action cartridges, mainly because they are usually more efficient/ more inclined to be consistently accurate than the larger long action type cartridges, I've hunted with a .243 for over 30yrs, put countless deer down with it, from 50yds to 275yds, using a 87gr bthp round I load myself, but all my shots are high shoulder, .270 will do the same, I've just never cared for the cartridge, nothing wrong with it, but you don't see many .270's in accuracy competitions, they're perfectly accurate enough for deer hunting, but I'll give the edge to a cartridge like .243, 7mm08,or .308 when it comes to shooting sub moa accuracy. doesn't mean a .270 can't do that, its just the case is larger, and harder to work consistent loads for,

I've been using a .243 for deer and coyote for prolly 20 years. Easy to load, plenty of choices in components. Many 1000 yd shots have consistently been made in competition since the clambering was made available. There is a reason for that. Super accuracy and excellent terminal ballistics.

Anyone who thinks a .243 is "underpowered" for ANY game in North America, except maybe Brown and Grizzly bear is clueless IMO.

GunnSmokeer

I have a .308 as my primary rifle, then got an inexpensive 7 mm Rem mag. as a loaner / backup. But I didn't care for it and it didn't seem to have any better performance than my 308, so I replaced it with a 243 Winchester as a loaner or spare rifle.

I love the .243, and I'm increasingly taking it out and leaving my .308 in the gun safe.

If I wanted to hunt any bigger game then Whitetail deer or wild hogs, and if I were going to be hunting out west or in the Midwest where 400+ yard shots were more common, then I'd want that 7 mm mag rifle,
or a 7 mm- 08,
or a 270 Winchester
or a 260 Remington...

But considering who I am, and where I live, and the type of shooting and hunting I do, the 243 Winchester seems to fill the role just fine.

Bottom line: The .270 Win. cartridge is more versatile, for hunting bigger animals at longer ranges in different locations around North America.

But if you're just doing typical deer / hog hunting at reasonable ranges here in Georgia, the 243 will get the job done! With less recoil.

So pick whichever one you like!

Buckman18

I've been using a .243 for deer and coyote for prolly 20 years. Easy to load, plenty of choices in components. Many 1000 yd shots have consistently been made in competition since the clambering was made available. There is a reason for that. Super accuracy and excellent terminal ballistics.

Anyone who thinks a .243 is "underpowered" for ANY game in North America, except maybe Brown and Grizzly bear is clueless IMO.

I may not like them very much but a friend of mine who lives in Colorado elk hunts with a 243.

ringorock

There isn't a single caliber .223 and up that I wouldn't use on deer if I had to. Practice, practice, opportunity, shot placement. There are calibers that I would prefer over others depending on the environment that I hunt, but they give me specific advantages to what I expect my shot opportunities to be. If I had to choose between the two as my only rifle, it'd be a 270. Why? There really are opportunities in trees where you need a distance, flat shooter. Someone said to me once months ago on here, a 300 winny will do everything a 308 can do and more, but a 308 will never do that more you get from a 300. So as a self proclaimed educated man, I bought both.

rosewood

GunnSmokeer

I witnessed an highpower rifle national champion do a demonstration on a golf course-- he fired one shot from a cold bore at a target 1000 yards away.
His rifle was a 243 Winchester with peep sights, but it had a custom barrel withunusually fast twist rifling rate-I think 1:8 rather than the standard one-in-10. He nailed the bull's-eye with the first shot at 1000 yards.

GunnSmokeer

Running a comparison of the two rounds on GunData site, the .270 Win with Federal 130 gr. ballistic tips vs. the .243 Win. using 95 grain federal ballistic tips:

If each rifle were fitted with a scope whose center line was 1.7 inches above the bore and zeroed for 200 yards...

At 100 yards (by far the most likely distance you would shoot a deer from-- if not even closer!)
The .270 has 1/10" less bullet drop, a 50 f.p.s. velocity advantage, and significantly more foot pounds of energy, although the 243 is no slouch with over 1600 foot-pounds.

At 300 yards, which is probably the upper limit for ethical hunting, firing from a cold bore under real-life field conditions,
The .270 and .243 have basically the same bullet drop from their 200 yard zero; each being about 6.5 inches below the crosshairs.
They have nearly the same velocity, with the 270 at 2400 ft./s and the 243 coming in at 2300 feet/ second.
But of course the heavier bullet from the 270 slams the target with more energy. Even at 300 yards, it has 1700 foot-pounds.
The .243 is down to 1100.

I think the ballistic performance of the 243 is adequate to even 400 yards. But due to the accuracy limitations of most shooters and most rifles in the field under real life conditions (away from the shooting bench and the range) I'd say both of these calibers are equally good at 300 yards.

If you're one of the rare shooters who can ethically take shots beyond 400 yards on the deer size game animals then go with the 270.

Reactions: Dub