.25/06 and the 80 grain Barnes TTSX

Tunaman

BANNED
Yeah, saying a prayer that I might understand all the to do over ammunition. I mean i bet the "worst" say .308 150 grain bullet will knock you on your butt at 200 yds.

BriarPatch99

Yeah, saying a prayer that I might understand all the to do over ammunition. I mean i bet the "worst" say .308 150 grain bullet will knock you on your butt at 200 yds.

All those who do not understand the future ...Will be left behind with the dust!

Sorry you don't understand that ammo is changing every day .... I get it ....some folks don't care to try new products ..... You are still be able to get muzzle loader stuff ....

If you want to hunt with a 150 grain .308 Win .... fine by me ....But don't poo poo those who are willing to try new products...

Even you ...you shooting a .308 Win ... Which has pretty much replaced the .30/06 .... Yeah the .308 Win was a new product at one time..... believe it or not...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I may have to try the TSX in my 308. I found a super accurate load with a 165 grain ballistic tip that I use mostly for short range in the woods hunting. My gun has a 18 1/2 or 20" barrel, I use 7 mag mostly when I'm out in the wide open. I went to the heavier (slower 165 grain after trying the 150 grain because I wasn't getting an exit wound. Still coming up short on exit wounds sometimes but in that case the deer dropping in the tracks. I guess the shorter range is keeping the velocity up and the ballistic tip to frangible to exit(sometimes). I do get good exit wound percentage on my 7 mag with a 140 grain ballistic tip, but most of those shots are longer.
I would love to bring my 25-06 back around to more common usage on dear. I can shoot that thing without blinking my eyes and often see bullet impacts through the scope.

BriarPatch99

I may have to try the TSX in my 308. I found a super accurate load with a 165 grain ballistic tip that I use mostly for short range in the woods hunting. My gun has a 18 1/2 or 20" barrel, I use 7 mag mostly when I'm out in the wide open. I went to the heavier (slower 165 grain after trying the 150 grain because I wasn't getting an exit wound. Still coming up short on exit wounds sometimes but in that case the deer dropping in the tracks. I guess the shorter range is keeping the velocity up and the ballistic tip to frangible to exit(sometimes). I do get good exit wound percentage on my 7 mag with a 140 grain ballistic tip, but most of those shots are longer.
I would love to bring my 25-06 back around to more common usage on dear. I can shoot that thing without blinking my eyes and often see bullet impacts through the scope.

The 110 grain TTSX are kind hard to find in stock.... the 130 grain TTSX are a little easier ....and still would make the .308 Win a fine deer killer .... Velocity should approach 3200 fps (130 grain)and give a Point Blank Range +/-3" of 308 yards .... that is never being higher or lower than the line of sight 3" .... Pretty flat shooting .....still have 2387 fps velocity and 1644 ft lbs energy @ 300 yards ....

TAC, BL-C2, W748, A2460 powders would all work fine in the .308 W and the 130 grain TTSX...

Your shorter barrel may effect the end velocity ....

If you are uneasy with the 80 grain TTSX in the .25/06 ....they make a 100 grain that equal a 120 grain lead core .....plus the extra velocity will add to the flat shooting ...

Last edited:

SC Hunter

Those light bullets for a 308 make me wonder why I would ever need a 300 wsm or win mag again. Just burning more powder when I will probably never shoot much farther than 250 yards or so. I'd like to find a model 700 in 308 with a little longer barrel like a 26" and throw some 110 grain barnes out of it. My brother and best friend love their 308's.

TomC

On a side note, REALLY liking my Tikka 25-06 but what would you recommend as the BEST off the shelf ammo or specialty ammo that could be ordered online for deer up to say 300 yds. Got a nice Burris XTRII 3x15 on it so reaching out to distance is no problem.

BriarPatch99

On a side note, REALLY liking my Tikka 25-06 but what would you recommend as the BEST off the shelf ammo or specialty ammo that could be ordered online for deer up to say 300 yds. Got a nice Burris XTRII 3x15 on it so reaching out to distance is no problem.

Tom ...As a general rule those Tikka shoot really good ....

The term "best" is a hard term to work with ....

This is what I would do .... ammo is kind of limited right now ....so it is more a "what is available" type deal . ... I would find the cheapest ammo I could find ... sight the gun in and get the scope set ..... then I would order a couple boxes of "Good" ammo ....like the Federal Premium loaded with the Nosler 110 grain Accubond or a couple boxes of Barnes Vor-tex loaded with the 100 grain TTSX ....

Shoot enough of the better ammo to readjust the scope if necessary... then go kill a deer !!

Use the good ammo wisely as it does not appear to be getting (supply) better anytime soon .... I would act soon ....because everybody is "thinking" deer season now ...

Midway has both those in stock right now ....ain't cheap .....$$

TomC

Thanks, might try the lighter 100gr Barnes. Bet those have some SHOCK value similar to lighter 80gr out of a 243. Tikkas may not be pretty but yes they shoot good......way better than good! Had a T3, T3x and CTR and they have all been ridiculously accurate out of the box. My 7mag just gathers dust and I'm getting worried that the Tikka 25-06 is going to take over the number one spot in my heart from the old 243. Never thought that would happen. What a great caliber!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I used mine for many years to smack um. I like to pull it out once a year whether it get to take anything or not. My MKII M77VT loves Hornady 117 SPBT and would shoot them in a .5MOA group. Hornady claims the whitetail with that bullet is the same as the old Custom Load...i roll them now to the same speed and dimensions ae the old Customs and get .25 out of it now.. That might be a good one to try too for a lead bullet.

Tunaman

BANNED
All those who do not understand the future ...Will be left behind with the dust!

Sorry you don't understand that ammo is changing every day .... I get it ....some folks don't care to try new products ..... You are still be able to get muzzle loader stuff ....

If you want to hunt with a 150 grain .308 Win .... fine by me ....But don't poo poo those who are willing to try new products...

Even you ...you shooting a .308 Win ... Which has pretty much replaced the .30/06 .... Yeah the .308 Win was a new product at one time..... believe it or not...
Yeah about what 50 yrs ago! Don’t get all wound up ina knot, didn’tI say I know it’s some people’s hobby! Have at it..