260 Mercruiser

Lukikus2

Good engines? Looking at buying a 89 that has been rebuilt. With a fiberglass hull wrapped around it.

Lukikus2

Looking at a cuddie for offshore/inshore. Just wanted to know if it a reliable motor. New foot and props.

And do they need premium fuel?

That could be a thread killer.

WayneB

chances are it was rebuilt at the stock 9:1 or 9.5:1 compression ratio. Regular gas will be fine. Premium only comes into play at 11:1 and higher.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Looking at a cuddie for offshore/inshore. Just wanted to know if it a reliable motor. New foot and props.

And do they need premium fuel?

That could be a thread killer.

No matter the boat, I would think it needs ethanol free gas. Different octane levels from 89 to 91 available. I prefer the higher octane.

Lukikus2

That's why I ask here?? But y'all know how stubborn some folks R ?
Going to survey it on Fathers Day. May need to add a brake actuator to the truck to stop it though.

Lukikus2

No matter the boat, I would think it needs ethanol free gas. Different octane levels from 89 to 91 available. I prefer the higher octane.

Just sitting here reading the manual and that is what they suggest (y)

Anyway. Got a 260. 350 cid. Less than 300 hours. Boat is loaded. Soon as I get physically able it's getting wet. The wife put a new coat of poly on the swim deck.
IMG_3364.PNG

bilgerat

Senior
old 898 are good engines but only 198 hp from a 350ci, you can put a good 4 barrel and swap the intake and get 250+ hp out of it

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Sweet!
That thing looks like it's gonna crush some wakes and boat traffic.
What bodies of water do you plan on focusing on?

bilgerat

Senior
This model comes with a optional closed cooling system (heat exchanger). Haven't looked to see if it has it yet. They can also be purchased and added on. Might look into that.
check out Mrcool.us,com, you can get the whole kit for less than a grand. get the one with block off plates for the risers so the exhaust manifolds will be closed cooling also