270 vs 7mm Remington Mag

Mattval

Was reading this ARTICLE on field and stream. IDK it really bugged me. But maybe that was the entire point of the article?

Reactions: Dub

Nimrod71

I am not a fan of that article either. Both cartridges have their purpose, it just depends on what you want. The biggest difference other than the obvious is the weights and design of the bullets used and their effective ranges. For normal hunting white tail deer here in South Georgia a 270 is all you need. I believe the article could have been written better.

furtaker

Petzal has been bashing the 7RM for years. I have no idea why he hates the cartridge so much.

I've never handloaded for the 270, but I would guess that the 150gr bullet moving at 2950 out of a 22in barrel that he alludes to would be a very hot load. I've chronograped Remington and Federal 130gr factory loads and both barely broke 2800fps despite the claimed 3060. I've chronographed 175gr 7RM loads that were faster than that. In fact, every factory load I've chronograped for the magnum left the 270 in the dust.

I'd like to see Petzal load both cartridges to the gills with 140 or 150gr bullets and report back.

Both are great cartridges and the 7RM certainly isn't the do it all cartridge, but it's head and shoulders above the 270 as much as Petzal doesn't want to admit it.

That said, I doubt you could tell much difference deer hunting with either one. Both are stone cold killers.

Ray357

AWOL
Petzal has been bashing the 7RM for years. I have no idea why he hates the cartridge so much.

I've never handloaded for the 270, but I would guess that the 150gr bullet moving at 2950 out of a 22in barrel that he alludes to would be a very hot load. I've chronograped Remington and Federal 130gr factory loads and both barely broke 2800fps despite the claimed 3060. I've chronographed 175gr 7RM loads that were faster than that. In fact, every factory load I've chronograped for the magnum left the 270 in the dust.

I'd like to see Petzal load both cartridges to the gills with 140 or 150gr bullets and report back.

Both are great cartridges and the 7RM certainly isn't the do it all cartridge, but it's head and shoulders above the 270 as much as Petzal doesn't want to admit it.

That said, I doubt you could tell much difference deer hunting with either one. Both are stone cold killers.
You keep them at Saami maxes they real close except in the heaviest bullets. 150 fps or so.

Last edited:

35 Whelen

"The 7mm Remington Magnum is a fine cartridge. Theoretically it should have a little more killing power than the 270. It uses heavier bullets at somewhat higher velocity, but if there is any practical difference I have not seen it." Jack O'Connor

menhadenman

I just bought another 7 RM. The new Hells Canyon Speed has an 8” twist and 26” barrel, easy to toss a 190 g bullet if you’d like. It’s got a muzzle break and it’s not as loud as they’d say. I can shoot it all day long.

trial&error

This is from the Remington sight 7mm has 260fps faster with a higher bullet coefficient 150gr core-loct. Not a huge difference, but it all adds up. Pick your caliber or get one of each.

I know this isn't comparing the best performing bullet in each caliber and the energy behind them. It is comparing them with the same weight.

7mm Rem Magnum 270 Win Bullet Weight 150 150 Bullet Style Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt Soft Point Muzzle Velocity 3110 2850 Ballistic Coefficient .346 .261 Package Quantity 20 20 Usage Big Game Big Game

Dr. Strangelove

I am not a fan of that article either. Both cartridges have their purpose, it just depends on what you want. The biggest difference other than the obvious is the weights and design of the bullets used and their effective ranges. For normal hunting white tail deer here in South Georgia a 270 is all you need. I believe the article could have been written better.

I have hunted with and loaded for both cartridges for 30+ years and I agree with you completely. It's apples and oranges.

A more fair comparison would be 8mm Mauser vs 8mm Rem Mag, if you just want to do that kind of thing. I load 8mm Rem Mag as well and it makes the 7mag feel like a .22LR in comparison. It's a necked down .375 H&H and will put out screaming velocities with 180gr plus projectiles.

Last edited:

Nimrod71

To my limited understanding magnum cartridges were designed and built to perform best with heavy weight bullets. If you compare the amounts of powder needed in a magnum case to attain the same velocity of a non-magnum of the same caliber you will see that the magnum is not efficient and waste resources. That being said you can load up a magnum case with more or different powder to exceed the non-magnum but is it really necessary if you have both rifles? I have both and I use 150 Sie. Game King in the 270 for white tail deer and 160 & 175 Sie. Game King for deer and elk.

SC Hunter

I have hunted with and loaded for both cartridges for 30+ years and I agree with you completely. It's apples and oranges.

A more fair comparison would be 8mm Mauser vs 8mm Rem Mag, if you just want to do that kind of thing. I load 8mm Rem Mag as well and it makes the 7mag feel like a .22LR in comparison. It's a necked down .375 H&H and will put out screaming velocities with 180gr plus projectiles.
A friend of mine had a 8mm magnum at one point and I shot it some. That is an entire different caliber classification! He had some 200 grain bullets loaded pretty hot and it punished on both ends!

Ray357

AWOL
A friend of mine had a 8mm magnum at one point and I shot it some. That is an entire different caliber classification! He had some 200 grain bullets loaded pretty hot and it punished on both ends!
I have an 8REM Mag. I bought it just because I didn't have one. You right, it punishes at both ends.