270 WSM?

phillip

my son and I both have the 270wsm in the Browning A bolt . We use the Winchester 130 gr ballistic tip. Both guns are crazy accurate and we like them. They do have a little more recoil but who feels it when shooting a your game. Cost of ammo is a part of life plus a box for each of us will last a couple years . 3 shot to insure its on and ready for the season

bulletbob

Banned Bob Here!
I don't know much about a WSM but I once had a 270 Weatherby mag that was my favorite elk rifle.Weighed a little over 10 lbs.I didn't buy ammo,always rolled my own.I think I used about 65 gr of H 4831 behind a 150 gr Hornady Interlock.As I got older the mountains got steeper and I sold it and bought a lightweight 270 Win.Really couldn't tell much difference in killing ability.Best I remember,I used around 58 grains of H4831 behind a Rem 150 gr corelokt in the 270 Win.for hunting.I still load and shoot the Win but can't find any core lokt for sale.

mhayes

Got one myself as well. Love the rifle and cartridge. Ammo is my one kick back as well. I just buy multiple boxes at a time so I always have a box. Once you find what the gun likes buy a good bit. As i went through a few brands and then when i found one it was never in stock when i needed it. Plus you have to order of net. Usually not carried in stores. Recoil is a bit more than what you might expect, but again you are not target shooting. I bought mine the first year Browning came out with the 270 wsm in an A-BOLT. I will never give that one up. Buy it, you will not regret it.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I have a buddy that purchased a 270wsm in a Browning Micro Medallion because he was a big fan of his sporter weight 270 win. The recoil was so much increased in the wsm between the larger case and lighter rifle weight, it went right to the safe and stays there. Was just a tuff rifle to like.

That being said, in a sporter weight or heavier rig, would be a good addition if you want one that carries a little more than enough energy. Especially if you hunt fields and other more open places or ever make a trip out west. Added ammo cost is really nominal, unless your using it heavily for punching paper and it can be readily had online. Although you could get the same basic performance from a a 7 rem mag.
If he'll get a slip on Limbsaver recoil pad for it he'll love it.
Reduces recoil drastically.
Less than $30 at Walmart.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
my son and I both have the 270wsm in the Browning A bolt . We use the Winchester 130 gr ballistic tip. Both guns are crazy accurate and we like them. They do have a little more recoil but who feels it when shooting a your game. Cost of ammo is a part of life plus a box for each of us will last a couple years . 3 shot to insure its on and ready for the season
That's the ammo I use.
Love it!

lonewolf247

I really can't think of many drawbacks, other than cost of ammo. If your looking for a flat shooting deer cartridge, it would be hard to beat. However, in the real world, magnum calibers don't exceed, the effective range, compared to the flattest standard calibers, as much as some people think. Looking at this table, the .270 WSM only exceeds the .270 Winchester by 5-6 yards in mpbr.

So it basically boils down to what your confidence is in. If you, want to shoot past past 300 yards, your gonna have to start compensating for trajectory.

Attachments

• AE8F573A-264B-4B0C-91E0-43156F32BB9F.png
    AE8F573A-264B-4B0C-91E0-43156F32BB9F.png
    641.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

M77 Ruger

I have one and love it. It’s a tikka t3x and it’s Very accurate and hammers deer. I will say that it has taken a back seat this year though. My wife bought me a weatherby accuguard .257 For my birthday and I will say after seeing what it does to deer and hogs it is truly my favorite round of all the ones I own.

Last edited:

wingnut2000

I went from shooting a .260 ruger to a .270 ruger this season. I could only find the .260 ammo at a local hardware store and it was $45/box. $20/box for the same ammo in the .270 is cheap to me. I don't shoot many rounds a season unless im resighting my rifle in.

rosewood

So, a .270 WSM is a .270 Winchester but about 100-200FPS faster ballistic wise. That gets you what, from 600 yards to 700 yards energy wise maybe?

My biggest complaint would be the availability of ammo. Where will it be in 10 years? The .270 win has been around since it was invented in 1923. Not sure the WSM will hang around that long, but time will tell.

Rosewood

rosewood

My brother told me Tractor supply is now selling ammo. I bet a Dr. Pepper they will carry the 270 win, but not the WSM.

Rosewood

rosewood

I went from shooting a .260 ruger to a .270 ruger this season. I could only find the .260 ammo at a local hardware store and it was $45/box. $20/box for the same ammo in the .270 is cheap to me. I don't shoot many rounds a season unless im resighting my rifle in.

That is my biggest complaint with the .260, ammo cost more and is hard to find. At this point, I have never bought or fired a factory load in .260. When I decided to rebarrel a Savage to a .260, I would have went to 6.5 creedmoor instead had I did more research and saw how much easier the 6.5 is to find, even in wally world. I roll my own, so really not a deal breaker for me, but even this reloader prefers cartridges that are easily bought off the shelf in a pinch and eases resale. The .260 is a little less punishing on the shoulder end than the .270 though and the deer do not notice the difference.

Rosewood

Timberman

I had an A Bolt in 270 WSM for awhile it loved 130 gr Sierra Gamekings

wingnut2000

That is my biggest complaint with the .260, ammo cost more and is hard to find. At this point, I have never bought or fired a factory load in .260. When I decided to rebarrel a Savage to a .260, I would have went to 6.5 creedmoor instead had I did more research and saw how much easier the 6.5 is to find, even in wally world. I roll my own, so really not a deal breaker for me, but even this reloader prefers cartridges that are easily bought off the shelf in a pinch and eases resale. The .260 is a little less punishing on the shoulder end than the .270 though and the deer do not notice the difference.

Rosewood

another reason I went from .260 to .270 is that I confiscated it from my dad I wanted him to have his gun back and also I have shot a few deer and had problems finding blood on a few deer which caused me to recover them after days and the last one was even months later. I shot one with the .260 December of 2018 and couldn't find blood that afternoon after searching a few hours and then the next day I searched more with several other people and then after the season I went shed hunting and hunting for him because I don't miss a lot and felt I didn't miss but also he acted like the last couple bucks that I shot and killed. I didn't find him while shed hunting somewhere around Feb or March and missed an area I wanted to try but I was more convinced now I missed until it bugged me not going back to that spot so August of 2019 I went to put out cameras and do a little work and decided to go look that one area and there was his skull and antlers. he wasn't 50-75 yds out from an area I had circled the afternoon and next day for him. That also helped me make decision for the larger rifle. Im not sure if it was the caliber or rounds or what because that deer ran maybe 300 yds which I have had them run further than that and been recovered.

Buckfever

I bought a Remington 700 LSS 270wsm in 2006 as a gift to myself. It's the gun I carry every time I'm in the woods and have shot many deer, about half run a little bit and the other half drop where they were standing. Started off shooting Remington 130gr Corelok's, when sighting in I was getting touching holes, so I never tried another type of ammo. Although I would have liked to try the Barnes 110 gr ttsx ammo and may try something different one-day, but if it ain't broke don't fix it right. Shot a Rem 700 270 win from 1983 until I bought this one, and it was and still is a shooter with Federal Premium 130gr SGK btsp ammo.

rosewood

another reason I went from .260 to .270 is that I confiscated it from my dad I wanted him to have his gun back and also I have shot a few deer and had problems finding blood on a few deer which caused me to recover them after days and the last one was even months later. I shot one with the .260 December of 2018 and couldn't find blood that afternoon after searching a few hours and then the next day I searched more with several other people and then after the season I went shed hunting and hunting for him because I don't miss a lot and felt I didn't miss but also he acted like the last couple bucks that I shot and killed. I didn't find him while shed hunting somewhere around Feb or March and missed an area I wanted to try but I was more convinced now I missed until it bugged me not going back to that spot so August of 2019 I went to put out cameras and do a little work and decided to go look that one area and there was his skull and antlers. he wasn't 50-75 yds out from an area I had circled the afternoon and next day for him. That also helped me make decision for the larger rifle. Im not sure if it was the caliber or rounds or what because that deer ran maybe 300 yds which I have had them run further than that and been recovered.

That is a bummer anytime you lose one. I shot one this year with a 140sgk out of my .260. Did as much damage as when I was hunting with a .270. Clean thru, nice exit wound. Deer ran about 30 yds and piled up. Only deer I ever lost with a rifle was a 130gr corelokt in .270. Was my fault. Saw deer limping and didn't put another one in him like I should have. Hunted for hours and gave up. I won't make that mistake again. If they are walking and I can take another shot, I will do so. I also went looking for him too soon and jumped him. I have learned a lot since then.

Snookpimpin

i have a sako 270wsm and it will put three shots in a dime but I wouldn't call it a flat shooting gun. I get almost 6 inches of rise between 50 to 100 yards, its a very hot round and flattens out in the long run but when I think flat my /06 only moves an inch or so anywhere inside 100 yards. I'm not a comp shooter so inside 100 is what is practical to me

Deerhead

I absolutely love my 270 wsm Browning A-Bolt. I do not buy much amo. Only shoot it a couple of times each year to make sure its sighted in and maybe to shoot a deer. I do not hate anything about the caliber. But the deer sure do! It sure does a number on one. Its the only gun Ill pull out of my safe now.