2nd Year Food Plots in Wilkes County

Tight Lines

Burn down with glyphosate in mid August, then 2-3 weeks later spread lime and work it into the top 4-6". Spread fertilizer when you are ready to plant.

So why spray it as opposed to mow it and let it lay in the plot and break down? I've seen people do both, is there a better or worse option?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Spraying will kill the complete plant, roots and all. That will just make tilling easier and ensure the plants are dead. Mowing may not kill the plant, in particular if you have any kind of grass in there and it may regrow, while you are trying to establish your fall plot.

If your plot looks like this, then you won't have any (fingers crossed) old weed/grass competition, for your new fall plot.

Burned down.JPG

Ihunt

I would till the lime in. The lime needs to make contact with the soil and tilling it in will spread it out more and help it make contact with more dirt. You could also do a split application of half now and half in the fall. As mentioned, it takes 6 months to start changing the ph so doing it now will help you out this fall.

Ihunt

I have also tilled lime in and then turned right around and top dressed it as well. While I have put out “too” much before, I’ve never had a ph higher than 6.7.

Ihunt

And great job on some fantastic looking plots. I seriously doubt this years will look any better but with a proper ph you can have them looking that good with a lot less fertilizer.

deermaster13

If this is where I'm thinking there is a lot of red clay. I usually had a little better luck breaking it up.some and then liming it. That clay doesn't seem to let the fertilizer into.the soil.