3 rivers

Southern Thunder

I wasn't able to go hunting this weekend due to work so I decided this afternoon was a good day to redeemed a 3 rivers gift card I received at Christmas last year. To be honest I can't believe I haven't already used it. For whatever reason My order is always comprised of carbon arrow shafts feathers and wraps and of course some broadheads to try.
I ran into a fellow traditional archer yesterday morning and in conversation he stated that I should start shooting wooden arrows. I haven't taken the plunge yet D but I am open minded to the idea. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get another gift card in a few months and try some out. Y'all have a good week whether your working hunting or thinking about hunting.

Southern Thunder

who did you run into? Just kiddin' Tell me your draw length and draw weight and I'll get you some to play with to see if you like them.
who did you run into? Just kiddin' Tell me your draw length and draw weight and I'll get you some to play with to see if you like them.

Bow marked 50@29 I draw 28. I'm am currently shooting gold tip traditional 500 gpi 8.6 cut 29.5 and anywhere from 200 to 225 up front

wag03

I have an itch for some woddies too. I'm shooting about the same set up. What spine shafts you thinking? Dendy,we need you!

oldfella1962

I shoot 3Rivers wooden arrows both target and hunting. Never had a problem with them and I would recommend them to anyone. If it's an option on feathers I would not get the larger feathers! I did this when I first started getting back into archery after many years away. I ordered arrows from "Rose City" or some company with longer and wider feathers than typical. While they were extremely accurate, they were extremely loud - like a Boing 747 loud!

Most importantly - only shoot one arrow at a time when practicing, then pull the arrow. I GUARANTEE if you hit your own arrow it will not be pretty! Another expensive lesson learned when I got back into archery.

sawtooth

Wood arrows are cool in that you can get CLOSE in spine and still make them work by cutting, adding weight to front, etc. They are very forgiving- way more so than carbon. For both of you- based on what y’all have told me- 55-60 or 60-65 will both WORK. What I don’t know is how far your bows are cut to or past center. That will require a little more steeeefness. Monarchs are a little past center I believe. Either way, it will be really easy to make something fly. Just gonna take a little time and commitment. If you ever start making/shooting/hunting with wood arrows, you will probably love it. They work and they work well.

F.A.R.R.

Not sure if they still sell it but 3 rivers used to have a “spine test kit” of cedar arrows . It was 6 arrows -two of each in 3 different spines.

It’s a good way to figure out what spine you like best out of a bow without spending a bunch.

oldfella1962

Wood arrows are cool in that you can get CLOSE in spine and still make them work by cutting, adding weight to front, etc. They are very forgiving- way more so than carbon. For both of you- based on what y’all have told me- 55-60 or 60-65 will both WORK. What I don’t know is how far your bows are cut to or past center. That will require a little more steeeefness. Monarchs are a little past center I believe. Either way, it will be really easy to make something fly. Just gonna take a little time and commitment. If you ever start making/shooting/hunting with wood arrows, you will probably love it. They work and they work well.

yep - considering they've been around for 10,000 years or so I would say wood arrows aren't going away anytime soon!