3 trout

Chap

I do agree with a winter closure, but its getting to be hard to justify the drive for me when its the same distance to Brunswick or steinhatchee for 3 trout vs 15 and 1 red vs 5.

I live in Savannah, and I used to occasionally take a trip down to Jax and fish a few creeks down there from my kayak or with my Gheenoe. Between foolishness like this, and the fact that a non-resident temporary license costs so much it's like they don't want you to visit Florida, I just quit.

bany

It sure is interesting, the last few years it seems there are a lot of smalls and they’ve been growing.

It won't change what I do one way or the other. I bought a place in Steinhatchee 10 yrs ago because I like Steinhatchee.
Fishing is just gravy on top. I charter an inshore guy once a year so I can fish and not babysit folks on my boat and I will continue to do that regardless just because I like old Capt Rassel and enjoy fishing with him.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Looks like that's gonna be the new limit. Might have to learn how to fish the Ga. coast.View attachment 966335

What a complete load of horse manure!!!!!

This will hurt some local economies.

Summary memo for the next meeting (May) on this subject and when this will be decided.

Attachments

• trout22.pdf
    134.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

bilgerat

Senior
Ive never had any luck on the ga coast for trout, the limit is still 10 in alabama waters. guess Im fishing orange beach/Gulf shores this summer. Got a free place to stay in OB any way

Browning Slayer

Ive never had any luck on the ga coast for trout, the limit is still 10 in alabama waters. guess Im fishing orange beach/Gulf shores this summer. Got a free place to stay in OB any way

Just means my fuel prices are going to go up having to run back to camp and drop off a limit before heading back out.. :bounce::bounce:

Gator89

Louisiana 15 or 25 with a 12 inch minimum up to 25, keep 2 over 25
Mississippi 15 15 inch minimum
Alabama 10 14 inch minimum
Texas 5 or 10 15 to 25

Florida 3??? 15 inch minimum none over 20, does anyone see this accomplishing anything?

Browning Slayer

I mean... Why would they want to touch the commercial side of the fishery to help numbers??facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:

Northeast Zone
Slot limit: 15-24 inches
Daily harvest limit:
75 fish per person per day or per vessel, whichever is less
Commercial vessel limit of 150 with two or more licensed fishermen are aboard
Open Season: June 1-Nov. 30

Northwest and Southwest Zones
Daily harvest limit:
Open Season: June 1-Oct. 31

Southeast Zone
Daily harvest limit:
Open Season: May 1- Sept. 30

Chap

Who knew there was a shortage?
From my experience they are plentiful and large...

This isn't about limiting the amount of the catch for the benefit of the fishery. The coastal trout fishery is healthy and has recovered from the bad cold snap the killed a bunch a few years back. This is about transferring the catch from the recreational fisherman to the commercial fisherman.

fairweather

Due to Hurricane Michael, I had already moved my attention from PSJ to Pensacola. I suppose I'll go ahead and move just a bit further west to Alabama now.

kingfish

I hate it too. But like Brotherinlaw, I bought a place back in 2003 over there. 3 trout, 1 redfish, in the spring and fall maybe a couple of spanish mackerel. Teach myself how to catch some of the doormat flounder I've seen while scalloping. On the calm days, go blind troll some stretch 25's and maybe find a close in grouper hole or at least find some hard bottom for some of those giant pink mouth grunts. Concentrate a little more on finding a cobia spot or 2, slow troll some of the reef balls or public numbers for a kingfish. Throw my 12 ft castnet on some of those big mullet I see on high tide in the creek mouths. I think I'll be ok. Still plenty of options for bringing fish home.

pottydoc

Total ** by FWC. Zero science to back any of it up. And the guides are all for it. Except , of course, taking away letting them catch a limit for their clients. All of this is even more ignorant than changing the red fish limit to one. I beginning to think Ron Crabtree sits on the FWC board.

KKrueger

If daily bag limit is 3, what would the total possesion be? Do we need to eat fish each night or could a guy legally travel home with 4 days limit?