3 trout

pottydoc

It’s not slowing down, either. There’s already new limits on dolphin in the works. No studies, no science, no matter vidence that the population is in any danger. Just a bunch of Hogan’s who can’t fish saying there’s no dolphin left.

drhunter1

Heading down tomorrow. Will likely be my last trip if this idiotic junk passes.

Everything in Florida Fisheries are geared towards commercial fisherman. That must be one powerful lobby because the Sea Hag and River Haven etc., are going to suffer.

If I'm going to spend my hard earned money, I want to have something to show for it and I love fresh fish. The state of Florida can go stick it where the sun don't shine (with those idiot politicians they can just pick a spot).

The Donk

They should be protected from commercial harvesting, not recreational anglers and guides. To have the commercial guys putting a huge dent into one of the most targeted "gamefish" populations in Florida is a mistake IMO. A true gator trout is one of the more coveted catches for inshore guys.

pottydoc

The commercial catch of trout in Florida is about 2% of total. They’re not putting a huge dent on the population in any way. That being said, if there’s any issue with the trout population, or any other fish for that matter, all commercial take should be stopped immediately. And guys, the guides are NOT on our side in this. Almost all of them support lower limits, and don’t support having themselves not be allowed to catch and keep, an additional limit for their clients. While I can’t speak for the southern parts of Florida, the trout population for the NW section is strong. I’ve been fishing Homosassa a bunch, and we are easily catching over a limit of trout on a regular basis. We’re letting most go, but there’s plenty of fish. Until this weekend I haven’t tried thevtrout at Steinhatchee yet this year, just caught a bunch of BSB’s the couple times I’ve been there. I’ll post up Sunday night or Monday on how we did. The friends I have who have been trout fishing are catching plenty of trout.

asc

most recs kill every trout they catch....

intentional or not..

Attachments

• 49948761_655680418163112_7524649468411510784_n.jpg
    49948761_655680418163112_7524649468411510784_n.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 31

The Donk

The article I read referenced the declining population of large trout, specifically in NW Florida where they used to grow real big. They talked about how trout aren't protected properly because they aren't listed as a "gamefish". This allows commercial hook and line guys to take 75 fish per day between 15" and 24". The guides up that way are reporting way less 5-10lb trout than in the past and they believe it's because they aren't listed properly.

pottydoc

The article I read referenced the declining population of large trout, specifically in NW Florida where they used to grow real big. They talked about how trout aren't protected properly because they aren't listed as a "gamefish". This allows commercial hook and line guys to take 75 fish per day between 15" and 24". The guides up that way are reporting way less 5-10lb trout than in the past and they believe it's because they aren't listed properly.
Like I’m said earlier, the guides are NOT on our side. And, I’ve fished the Homosassa to Keyton Beach areas for about 30 or so years now, and I have never seen a 10 lb trout anywhere over here. And never caught many over 5lbs in that same area. It ain’t the Lagoon, or Indian River, and never has been. Reducing the limit to,three won’t make a bit of difference on the a,ount of big trout.

MudDucker

Staff member
I do agree with a winter closure, but its getting to be hard to justify the drive for me when its the same distance to Brunswick or steinhatchee for 3 trout vs 15 and 1 red vs 5.

I am, but I would prefer January, when I am duck hunting.

Silver Bullet

Honestly, after years of trips watching guys go out and catching double limits and TRIPLE limits out of Keaton, I'm glad they are protecting some of the spawning fish, especially after the red tide problems that have been plaguing Florida. Georgia has plenty of trout to catch if you want to kill some. It's just as good as the Gulf for numbers during late September to early November. I've had 30 fish days into January and February on artificials. It may take a little more work, but the fish are there.
SB

doomtrpr_z71

Honestly, after years of trips watching guys go out and catching double limits and TRIPLE limits out of Keaton, I'm glad they are protecting some of the spawning fish, especially after the red tide problems that have been plaguing Florida. Georgia has plenty of trout to catch if you want to kill some. It's just as good as the Gulf for numbers during late September to early November. I've had 30 fish days into January and February on artificials. It may take a little more work, but the fish are there.
SB
So I guess they'll do 6 or 7 limits now

Gator89

My brother and I fished Waccasassa Bay hard Saturday 4/27/19 for 3 barely legal specks and one silver worth the effort to clean.

My brother has fished the Waccasassa area for over 20 years, this was the first time I went out with him that we did not catch at least that many specks per person in the boat.