30-30 Win or 35 Rem?

30-30 Win or 35 Rem?

• 35 Rem

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • 30-30 Win

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters

earlthegoat2

I voted 30-30 cause I have two a 12” contender and a Stevens 340 now it there ever was such a thing I would not mind something in a 16-20” bolt gun in 35 rem

The Remington Model 600 was chambered in 35 Rem. Uncommon and pricey but fits your criteria.

Stevie Ray

I'l have to go with the 30-30, mostly because a Model '94 30-30 was the first rifle I ever bought 47 years ago and I still hunt with that very rifle today so obviously sentimental reasons has a lot to do with my choice. I've shot a 35 Rem (not mine) and like it but as Dutch stated above, if I wanted to shoot anything larger I'd go with my 1895 45-70 ... which BTW, I really love.

rosewood

My favorite gun is a CVA Hunter single shot in 35 Remington. It is a real sweet shooter. Smooth recoil and easy on the ears in the woods. Also, the few critters I have dispatched with it, were DRT and 0 blood shot meat.

That being said, the 30-30 is no slouch. I was late to the game owning a 30-30. Owned just about every other caliber, but had never bought one. Shot a 125 lb hog a few years back through the shoulder. Went clean through with a 150 grain bullet and was DRT. I was quite impressed with the results.

The modern gun rags and marketing folks have folks thinking you need a super velocity boomer to kill a white tail or hog. These old cartridges do a wonderful job and with less kill on the butt end.

Rosewood

transfixer

rifle does matter to me,, so my choice is .30-.30, mdl 94, never cared for the Marlins, too heavy for the size, action not as slick as mdl 94, not as quick handling, my approach has always been bullet placement over energy or knockdown power, .35rem might have more energy, but doesn't matter if you do your job and put the bullet in the right place. ammo will always be more available for a .30-30 as well

rosewood

rifle does matter to me,, so my choice is .30-.30, mdl 94, never cared for the Marlins, too heavy for the size, action not as slick as mdl 94, not as quick handling, my approach has always been bullet placement over energy or knockdown power, .35rem might have more energy, but doesn't matter if you do your job and put the bullet in the right place. ammo will always be more available for a .30-30 as well
Can't argue with that logic.

But I just like the 35 better....I roll my own, so availability isn't an issue for me unless I ever decide to sell..

Rosewood

I had a Remington 760 game master in 35 and several 336 in 35 . The 35 is a back breaker . Bonnie and Clyde found out what a 35 and and 3006 would do at close range

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I love both.
If 1 had great long range accuracy and 1 didn't then I'd have a favorite. But they both don't.
I'll pick 30-30 just because I grew up with that one and it's the most comfortable rifle to me out of ours. And I've killed most everything with it. And my son killed nice bucks and hogs with it while we were together.
But the 35 is also outstanding! My son has staked claim to it now. So we now have our own. Like some of y'all, I think he likes the bigger bullet too

hayseed_theology

my 35 for along with my 45-70 does not like the Hornady LEVERRevolution ammo

My Marlin .30-30 hated the LEVERevolution ammo. 3 shot groups were 6"-8" at 100 yards. Went back to Corelokts. Some rifles just don't like the LEVERevolution stuff. I've heard it may have something to do with the Marlin Microgroove barrels.

deermaster13

I will have to go with the 30-30 first caliber deer rifle I owned and was a Christmas present one year. i had been using a marlin 12 gauge bolt until daddy let me use mama's 30-30 winchester, 30-30 was the only caliber deer rifle in those days that we had.

Latest posts