$300.00 Paint Job Question

transfixer

Those cheap jobs do little to no prep work, as far as sanding and cleaning, and only the bare minimum coats of paint, most of the time the paint will crack or start flaking off in spots within a year or so, might be okay for something you wanted to sell, but not for something you'd want to keep, Painting isn't all that difficult, I painted a couple of trucks myself back about 30yrs ago, a good spray gun, a lot of time sanding and cleaning, meticulous taping, and a decent respirator and you're ready to paint.

Last edited:

treemanjohn

Banned
The biggest expense and the best results lie in the preparation. If he will do all the sanding and grinding and body work. Getting it someone to shoot it won't be as bad.

Personally with a vehicle like that I would do all the work myself and paint it with A high quality paint. It's not difficult at all just keep the gun moving

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Another vote for "paint it yourself".

Worst case scenario do the roll on paint job.

YouTube is full of $50 Rustoleum spray or roll on paint jobs.

Oldstick

In my experience, black will need it a again within 5 years or so no matter how good or expensive the paint job. Unless parked in a shelter most of the time.

Black is the Debil in the GA sun, white is the angel.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I thought you needed a booth and all that to paint a vehicle?

not if you don't care about dirt and crud getting in the paint before it dries. You can get a decent 20ft paint job painting it outside on a calm day. Use a catalyst hardner, and a fast reducer to get it to flash off quick. Less dirt and crud will embed that way.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
not if you don't care about dirt and crud getting in the paint before it dries. You can get a decent 20ft paint job painting it outside on a calm day. Use a catalyst hardner, and a fast reducer to get it to flash off quick. Less dirt and crud will embed that way.

Or bugs and whatnot..leaning real hard towards the budget special

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
How about rattle can cammo?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Or bugs and whatnot..leaning real hard towards the budget special

painting one inside don't mean you won't have dirt or bugs in it either. Years ago we painted a 67 Malibu the right color... Red. We did it at night inside, and layed down the prettiest paint job you ever saw. Slick as glass..

Well, we went back to glory in our spraying abilities the next morning, and all the way down the drivers side was ruined. A big ole moth got in the shop as we walked out the door, and lit on the drivers fender.... then flopped all the way to about 1/2 way down the quarterpanel.... and there it was. stuck in the paint.

Had to sand it all off and paint it again, but just the drivers side. Sanded from the top body break down and reshot it

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I did one of those cheap paint jobs on a truck in high school. It's pretty much a single layer of paint with the clear coat mixed with the color. You can literally scratch the paint off with a fingernail. I'd rather just have a faded roof than one of those paint jobs.

Another option is get the color code off the door and buy a few cans of mixed up spray cans online, do a light sanding, spray it and spray some clear coat on it. My old truck is faded also, and I did it on the roof not long ago and it looks decent.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I did one of those cheap paint jobs on a truck in high school. It's pretty much a single layer of paint with the clear coat mixed with the color. You can literally scratch the paint off with a fingernail. I'd rather just have a faded roof than one of those paint jobs.

Another option is get the color code off the door and buy a few cans of mixed up spray cans online, do a light sanding, spray it and spray some clear coat on it. My old truck is faded also, and I did it on the roof not long ago and it looks decent.

So you can buy the factory paint in a rattle can? Didn’t know that. May go that route..thanks Buddy

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
If you paint it outside with auto paint, start early when the dew is on the ground, less dust flying then.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
In my body shop days we used a $60,000 paint booth. I can count on 1 finger the paint jobs that didn’t have at least 2 specks of dirt in the clear coat.

Big7

The Oracle
I’m all about DIY-ing but we’ve done all I really feel comfortable doing. We did all the maint..installed a lift and added a decent stereo. I’ve painted things before and wasn’t very impressed with the results.

Keep in mind that thing id O-L-D !!!!!

I was looking a while back to have my Dad's little Nissan painted. I'm sure I shopped things pretty good.

I'm going to go with Spray Glo. The vehicles in the parking lot looked really good for what it cost. A few hundred dollars will fix your son's ride right up with a 5 year warranty.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Keep in mind that thing id O-L-D !!!!!

I was looking a while back to have my Dad's little Nissan painted. I'm sure I shopped things pretty good.

I'm going to go with Spray Glo. The vehicles in the parking lot looked really good for what it cost. A few hundred dollars will fix your son's ride right up with a 5 year warranty.

Is spray glo a paint company?

Big7

The Oracle
Is spray glo a paint company?

Yep. They are a chain but good.
They compete with Maaco. Either one will work for what you are trying to do.

Starts for a wash and scratch for about $300.00 in $100.00 increments until you get where you want to be.

I'd say $399.00 - $499.00 + fixing the dent would be about right.

Last edited:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Since he is a new driver, what about making a deal with him. Tell him to go 6 months with no tickets or accidents and you will get him a paint job. It doesn't hurt for a new driver to not have the sharpest looking ride in the school parking lot.