.308 scope recommendation(low budget friendly)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Looking to upgrade the scope on my Savage.308. Currently have a Nikon Prostaff 4-12 power and a 40mm lense, but no hash marks(BDC?) for range assistance. No preference on lighted reticle or not, just want a decent scope with yardage(holdover) markers. I thought of getting a new rifle in 6.5CM, but I really like this one…..just not a fan of the scope.
Honestly, I’d probably be satisfied with a $250 scope, but I’m not buying that rifle kit for around $450…….so how much better of a scope in that range? Say $500max
My gun and I like the 165gr Hornady Whitetail hunter factory ammo and I doubt I’ll change it out, if that matters.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Vortex Viper BDC 4X16X44 is in your price range. I just bought one for my M77 .308.

transfixer

Check out the Burris droptine line, or the Fullfield E1 or II line, I almost bought the 4.5x14 droptine a couple years back, very clear glass, not sure what the difference is between the droptine and fullfield lines ? I thought the fullfield was more expensive , but it seems now they aren't ?

deerslayer357

I would look at the Leupold vx freedom 4-12x 40 with tri-Moa reticle. On midway for 499.99 currently, but can probably find cheaper

sleepr71

Burris XTR,Leupold VX3,and Vortex would be the name brands I’d look at. I bet they each have an offering with a .308 specific reticle. Out to around 250 yds..there’s really no need for holdover with a .308(Deer Hunting)…so you may/may not really want a BDC reticle. I get lost with some of those reticles,because they are so BUSY..and prefer a plain old crosshair! Just my .02

transfixer

Burris XTR,Leupold VX3,and Vortex would be the name brands I’d look at. I bet they each have an offering with a .308 specific reticle. Out to around 250 yds..there’s really no need for holdover with a .308(Deer Hunting)…so you may/may not really want a BDC reticle. I get lost with some of those reticles,because they are so BUSY..and prefer a plain old crosshair! Just my .02

this ^^^

its easy enough to learn the trajectory of whatever particular round you choose for your rifle, assuming you can get access to a place with enough room . I've always zeroed my .308 at 200yds, using 150gr loads it was roughly 8 inches low at 300, 1 1/2 inches high at 100, been a while since I've shot further, but if I remember right it was close to 24 inches low at 400yds, and 48 or so inches low at 500yds,

bullgator

Meopta has a few in the <$500 range that would fill your checklist. Optika5 in 3-15 with hash marks Is about $450.

Dub

Rumor has it that the Crimson Trace line of scopes are former Nikon models, updated and carried on after Nikon left the market.

I’ve not tried one.

Occasionally you will find Trijicon models on sale. I can attest to the excellent quality of these.

Jim Boyd

Sub $500

Meopta quality and has the wonderful #4 reticle with red dot.
No ranging with the reticle but for a hunting rifle, simple is better to me. Plus you can simply dial up your target distance.

I bought one and it is on my 7-08 now.

There are plenty of great options in your price range.

My guess is once you try Meopta you will be a customer for life.

Good luck!

8AE4BD16-67F1-439E-9746-A6D423BA8285.png