350 legend

Rich M

Are there "better" cartridges - sure. There is always something bigger or smaller, badder, faster, etc.

Comes down to "what are your needs ?" and what do you want to accomplish?

I don't need real loud or hard kicking calibers and my shots have overwhelmingly been inside 250 yards over the years, so it works well and checks a lot of the boxes for me.

Scaled down from a 3006. Decided to get a 350 Legend cause my 80+ yo dad keeps taking the 243 (and shooting deer with it) - think he likes the scope. Wasn't sure what to expect w Legend.

Was looking for light recoil and mild muzzle blast. It checks both those boxes.

Wanted a 200-250 yard gun. Check! With my experience, I'm very comfortable shooting a deer at 250 yards with this cartridge.

The bullet expansion stuff is where the rubber meets the road - when the bullet punches meat you need it to expand and destroy tissue. The heavier bullet weights ensure penetration.

IMO, Hornaday Interlock is too stiff a bullet for expansion at max range, jury is out on the 165 gr FTX - so far so good - have no idea what factory specs are cause they don't readily provide the data.

Fury bullet says they'll expand fully at 1,200 fps and stay together >2,600 fps. Have tried the 158 gr Fury and was cutting holes at 200 yards with around 2,400 fps velocity at muzzle. Have some 170s with higher BC and want see how those do before buying more - one of these two will be my primary hunting load.

How's it shoot? Check!
It originally seemed like a 2-inch gun and that was gonna work. BUT - Factory ammo shoots 1 to 2 inch at 100, 2 to 4 inches at 225 yds. Reloads cut holes at 100 yds and print 1 inch groups at 225 yards. 225/250 is about the max dead-hold distance for this caliber.

Shooting a Diamondback BDC 3-9x40 scope. Works good. Don't need BDC if you plan to stay below 200 yards. A nice 2-7 scope is about perfect if staying under 200 yards. I stepped from a 2-7 Viper to the 3-9 w BDC due to ease of seeing the target at 200-250. 7x is more than enough for hunting out to 250 yards.

Reloading? Check!
Using somewhere between 25 and 28 grs of powder. it is an easy to load cartridge - on 6 or 8 reloads for my test brass - shot some factory loads, kept brass and started testing reloads.

Win brass - no trimming, just lube, reside, load, shoot, repeat. Hornady brass is way softer and gives less velocity for same load.

Been using small pistol primers - don't have any small rifle primers. Hornady brass will not accept small pistol primers willingly - I gave up on using the Hornady brass after a bit.

With 7,000 gr of powder per pound, and using the max 28 gr per load, it gives about 250 loads per pound of powder.

Can fall back on 9mm-sized bullets. A 145/147 hardball would likely be a great plinker load if you couldn't get the specific rifle bullets. Likewise - inside 100 yards you could load the 145/147 XTP HPs and obliterate a deer - rib shot at say 1,600 fps (about max speed for the bullet before it just explodes) and likely see bang/flop.

Lots of bullet alternatives for this rifle with the 9mm/.355 bore. You can even get a sizer and resize .357 bullets, maybe .358. yak, yak, yak.

Anyway - as indicated earlier, this round checks a lot of boxes for this old guy. It shoots good, can shoot lotsa diff bullets from up to 3 diff calibers w 2 diff kinds of primers using light powder loads, 250-300 yard max range, light recoil, mild noise.

YMMV.

Anthony61

BANNED
Are there "better" cartridges - sure. There is always something bigger or smaller, badder, faster, etc.

Comes down to "what are your needs ?" and what do you want to accomplish?.

Great answer. The kind of info I was looking for. You said you can load 9mm in a magazine and shoot them through the same rifle without changing anything ? So you have to get a magazine compatible that accepts 9mm? What do you need? (I have lots of 9mm ammo now) That would be fun for target practice.

Last edited:

chrislibby88

Great answer. The kind of info I was looking for. You said you can load 9mm in a magazine and shoot them through the same rifle without changing anything ? So you have to get a magazine compatible that accepts 9mm? What do you need? (I have lots of 9mm ammo now) That would be fun for target practice.
No, he meant you can load 9mm projectiles into an empty legend case when reloading. Do not try to load a 9x19 cartridge into a legend rifle. The extractor will not engage the 9x19 rim and it sounds like a good way to get a live round stuck in your chamber or get your bolt bound up on a live round, both of which are terrible.

Rich M

Sorry about any confusion - you can reload and place a 9mm (.355) projectile into the empty 350 Legend cases and use those in the gun.

The gun shouldn't accept a 9mm pistol bullet. It's too short cause the bullet chambers and I think rests on the front end of the bullet case. Bottle neck cartridges I believe sit on the shoulders of the case.

You can get a 9mm pistol carbine - Ruger, Scorpion, etc. make those. Not gonna be a 100 yard gun tho.

Scope comments:

I was surprised with the Diamondback BDC scope I got - it functioned well in the predawn and post dusk light. It won't go 30 minutes after sundown on a cloudy day but went 35 or so minutes predawn on a cloudless day. For the money it doesn't seem like a bad choice.

Have also looked thru the crossfire version and found it comfortable to my eye. I'm still leery of cheap scopes and both DB and CF are cheap scopes.

You will do fine with a 1-4, 2-7 or 3-9 scope. 2-7s are real nice for the closer shooting. I only got 3-9x to be able to shoot 250-300 yards.

As always - YMMV.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It has nothing to do with cool name or soft shoulders. It simply works VERY well for its intended purposes and has similar or slightly better ballistics than 7.62x39 and 300blk. Not everyone needs 950 JDJ to kill an animal at 30-150 yards.
And not everybody shoots their deer in fields at 300 yards. :) The same rifle that is great for that usually sucks to use in thick woods, like where I do most of my hunting.

frankwright

Pro2A tactical has the 350 Legend uppers available. His stuff is good quality.
I bought one of his 300 Blk uppers several years ago and I have had ZERO issues with it.
Thanks for that reference. I thought I knew all the AR places but that is a new one for me.
I love my 7.5" BO but if this brace thing goes bad I would consider getting a 16" BO for my other AR that I lost in the boat sinking!