350 Legend

tcward

You have something weird going on. Deer we shoot with 62gr Fusion always have exits and don't make it anywhere near that far. Great tracking though. 200 yards is a long job blood trailing.
I’ve shot 2 deer with the 62 gr Fusion .223. One about 30 yards and the other about 90-100 yards. Just behind the shoulder shot on both with quarter size exit hole and short tracking jobs. Not a big sampling but was very pleased on both.

Ray357

AWOL
I’ve shot 2 deer with the 62 gr Fusion .223. One about 30 yards and the other about 90-100 yards. Just behind the shoulder shot on both with quarter size exit hole and short tracking jobs. Not a big sampling but was very pleased on both.
What size deer?

delacroix

BANNED
150 was the last one. About 175 before that. He double lunged one at 90 and it went over 200.

Too far. 150 yards is extreme end of range for that. Y'all did real well to get the deer trying that. If you want to use 223 at that distance, use 77gr TMK and put it high shoulder or neck. If you can't put it there, don't. It's not going to exit, but you won't be tracking. This according to a fella who does it often and backs it up with plenty of detailed photographs and witnesses.

At that distance 350 Legend is about like a .357 mag from a revolver. People get by with that most of the time. Trouble is once you get out there, wind has had its way.

Suggest 6.5 Grendel with 100gr NBT. We've had real good results with 123gr SST, but we don't shoot past 100 and so don't need the speed. 6.5G is about like 30/30 that kicks less, shoots flatter and drifts less. It's a little better actually.

Bowyer29

Too far. 150 yards is extreme end of range for that. Y'all did real well to get the deer trying that. If you want to use 223 at that distance, use 77gr TMK and put it high shoulder or neck. If you can't put it there, don't. It's not going to exit, but you won't be tracking. This according to a fella who does it often and backs it up with plenty of detailed photographs and witnesses.

At that distance 350 Legend is about like a .357 mag from a revolver. People get by with that most of the time. Trouble is once you get out there, wind has had its way.

Suggest 6.5 Grendel with 100gr NBT. We've had real good results with 123gr SST, but we don't shoot past 100 and so don't need the speed. 6.5G is about like 30/30 that kicks less, shoots flatter and drifts less. It's a little better actually.
I would agree and add the 7.62x39 as well.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree and add the 7.62x39 as well.
I think the 7.62x39 is an excellent close-range woods deer rifle in an AR platform. I've killed several with mine, never had any issues. Couple DRTs with behind-the-shoulder chest shots, even. I wouldn't shoot over 150 yards with it, though, and 100 is closer to my ideal outer range.

Bowyer29

I think the 7.62x39 is an excellent close-range woods deer rifle in an AR platform. I've killed several with mine, never had any issues. Couple DRTs with behind-the-shoulder chest shots, even. I wouldn't shoot over 150 yards with it, though, and 100 is closer to my ideal outer range.
I shot my first deer with my AR and my handloads this weekend. At 40 yards, it performed like I would expect a .308 to, with almost no recoil. I was very pleased. I will also limit shots with this cartridge to 150 yards at the absolute max.

dirtnap

I was looking back at this thread and my daughter just shot a big doe with 180 gr soft point. She ran about 40 yds and tipped over

menhadenman

That's what I wanted to hear. Looks like it penetrated well. I am about to let my 7 year old shoot a deer with it.

I am tired of 200 to 400 yard tracking from .223 lung shots.

Some guys out west rant about the Sierra TMKs 77 gr in 223. I’d give it look. I’ve got a couple 6.5 Grendels, kids love em and ballistics aren’t much different than a 25-06. But a Legend wouldn’t look bad in the safe either!

lampern

I saw a video someone shooting a 350 at over 400 yards on youtube but would it have enough energy at that range to kill a deer?

lampern

Yes, Winchester says 250 yard max effective range but I'm sure people are trying to push it further

Last edited:

menhadenman

Thinking more, I’m not sure it’s worthwhile unless you’re hunting somewhere with a straight wall requirement. Even then a 444 or 45-70 might be more appealing. I’ve tipped a few good animals with a 25-06, not much more sauce than a Grendel (both fine rounds)... with the 6.5 better in the wind.

Here’s the Winchester plots from their online deal, 350 vs the quarter bore that I love. Numbers speak for themselves. The 117 SST shoots like a laser from a Savage 110 12” twist for what that’s worth.

FAEB25E4-6B2D-4C20-9FA5-A61269636863.png922BF55B-C2B8-435A-BD60-A2D8A3F9960F.png

Ray357

AWOL
Thinking more, I’m not sure it’s worthwhile unless you’re hunting somewhere with a straight wall requirement. Even then a 444 or 45-70 might be more appealing. I’ve tipped a few good animals with a 25-06, not much more sauce than a Grendel (both fine rounds)... with the 6.5 better in the wind.

Here’s the Winchester plots from their online deal, 350 vs the quarter bore that I love. Numbers speak for themselves. The 117 SST shoots like a laser from a Savage 110 12” twist for what that’s worth.

View attachment 1049707View attachment 1049708
The 6.5 Grendal is not even close to the .25-06 using the newer .257 bullets. The 6.5 Creedmoor is much more equal to the Quarterbore 06.

lampern

The tables above says 629 foot pounds/second at 300 yards for the 350

25-06 has 1604 at the same distance