350 Legend

Rich M

Bought one. Having a 200-250 yard gun w no recoil is perfect. The performance seems to be great.

Hope to see how she works in a couple of weeks.

Listening to folks say why it won't work gets old. Some real good reports and dead deer say otherwise.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Bought one. Having a 200-250 yard gun w no recoil is perfect. The performance seems to be great.

Hope to see how she works in a couple of weeks.

Listening to folks say why it won't work gets old. Some real good reports and dead deer say otherwise.

Amen.

dirtnap

Finally got to see in person what the .350 can do and I am super impressed. Pops used my rifle this weekend on a 150-160 lb buck and a full size doe. Both were dropped on the spot. Massive internal damage....lungs were pretty much gone. That was with the Deer Season XP's.
Hey Dustin, we were using the deer season XP’s in my daughter’s gun with good results but after 2 consecutive non pass throughs switched to the 180 grain power points and seem to be getting better penetration, but in your case, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it ?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Dustin, we were using the deer season XP’s in my daughter’s gun with good results but after 2 consecutive non pass throughs switched to the 180 grain power points and seem to be getting better penetration, but in your case, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it ?

I had that same issue with that same bullet in my 7mm-08, so I am somewhat concerned for them in the .350 also. The good thing is that it usually does so much internal damage that they don’t normally make it out of sight.

Rich M

You guys loading or doing factory ammo? Factory stuff I can/could get are 145 solids (have a couple boxes) and 170 Hornady (have a couple boxes).

My main concern is bullet expansion at 200-250 yards. Where i hunt, opportunities max-out at about 230-240 yards. So gun seems perfect but want to know about bullet expansion at that range.

No question about the 170s getting full penetration, just that they didn't expand well in gel at 200 on you tube (bullet tip expanded to bullet diameter but made the gel wiggle quite a bit). They also tested some 160 gr rifle bullet hollow points and those did a better job at expanding - lotsa lead fragments there.

Wondering about modifying a handful of those 170 soft points into hollow points (cut off protruding lead and use drill bit to make a shallow cavity) or flat points (just cut off protruding lead).

Found some 165 Hornady FTX and ordered some 158 Fury Soft Points for reloading.

Anyone have any longer range kill or reloading experience?

dirtnap

You guys loading or doing factory ammo? Factory stuff I can/could get are 145 solids (have a couple boxes) and 170 Hornady (have a couple boxes).

My main concern is bullet expansion at 200-250 yards. Where i hunt, opportunities max-out at about 230-240 yards. So gun seems perfect but want to know about bullet expansion at that range.

No question about the 170s getting full penetration, just that they didn't expand well in gel at 200 on you tube (bullet tip expanded to bullet diameter but made the gel wiggle quite a bit). They also tested some 160 gr rifle bullet hollow points and those did a better job at expanding - lotsa lead fragments there.

Wondering about modifying a handful of those 170 soft points into hollow points (cut off protruding lead and use drill bit to make a shallow cavity) or flat points (just cut off protruding lead).

Found some 165 Hornady FTX and ordered some 158 Fury Soft Points for reloading.

Anyone have any longer range kill or reloading experience?
Not me, I think her longest with that gun is 100ish. I try to keep her shot opportunities at 125 and in, to be honest I haven’t even shot it longer than that at the range

Rich M

Not me, I think her longest with that gun is 100ish. I try to keep her shot opportunities at 125 and in, to be honest I haven’t even shot it longer than that at the range

I got a few things figured out with the Legend - Ruger bolt, 16 inch barrel. Have a 158 cup&core soft point at 2440 fps and have shot it out to 225 with good results - can ring an 8 inch gong all day long with it. No problem shooting a deer with it out to 250.

These little rifles are for real - Hoping to put my own deer damage pics on here before season is out.

Ray357

AWOL
I got a few things figured out with the Legend - Ruger bolt, 16 inch barrel. Have a 158 cup&core soft point at 2440 fps and have shot it out to 225 with good results - can ring an 8 inch gong all day long with it. No problem shooting a deer with it out to 250.

These little rifles are for real - Hoping to put my own deer damage pics on here before season is out.
It does the damage. I personally don't post the deer damage pics because it's just food for PETA.

Ray357

AWOL
I have discovered something with my Ruger vs My Winchester 350 Legend.
1. The Ruger American ranch is Way more accurate than the Winchester. It could be that I just have not found that pet load yet, but the Ruger shoots anything you feed it sub 3/4" at 100. The XBR has yet to shoot anything sub minute.

2. The Winchester bore dia is bigger. It is glaringly obvious just with cleaning jag and patch.

I am betting 1 is directly caused by 2.

Ray357

AWOL
Sounds like a. 357 gun vs. 355.

Do you reload and can you test that theory?
I probably will load up some 357 legend to see how the Winchester likes them. What is funny is Winchester developed the cartridge as .355 and looks like they ignoring their own spec.

Rich M

I probably will load up some 357 legend to see how the Winchester likes them. What is funny is Winchester developed the cartridge as .355 and looks like they ignoring their own spec.

They advertised it as 357 and all the writers came out, blab blab, 357. Not true 355. LOL.

Rich M

All the factory ammo is .355.
All factory load data is for .355 bullets.

YES Sir!

That's what I got and what I load. Have tried some 357 stuff sized to 356 and it works but, eh, as long as the 355 is available it works better.

The outdoor writers still say it is for .357. Tells you how much they actually know about what they say much of the time.

Last edited:

Ray357

AWOL
My son shot him a big ole doe with the legend tonight. 152 yds. 150 deer season xp ammo. Winchester (or Hornaday I actually expect) did a wonderful job on that bullet. It damages way above what I would expect for that velocity. Damage is very consistent with what I usually see with the 7 WSM. Nothing magic about the cartridge, but Winchester has a magic bullet.

Last edited: