357 Mag for deer?

miktom

Its legal

Speaking of legal, the hunting regulations say any centerfire handgun. Some nut may try to use a .25ACP. (Just had to make that jab at DNR, just for goading sake, I''ll add the "any .22 cal. centerfire rifle")
Seriously, IMHO the .357 form a rifle assuming a hard cast 158 plus grain bullet of SWC design or a good JSP at say 75 yds or less is sufficient if you can put it in the boiler room.
:D

duckbill

It will do the job on close shots (under 100yds). It wouldn't be my choice, but if that's what you've got...use it. The important thing is for YOU to know what the gun and shooter are capable of. I am an old Marlin lever gun enthusiast. My first choices would be a 35REM or 375Marlin followed by the 30-30. None of my leverguns have scopes, but I shoot them a lot and I know what they're capable of.
The 357 and 44 mags are fun to shoot, but there are definitely some better levergun choices for hunting.

Lead Poison

My personal minimum would be the .41 magnum, or better yet, the .44 magnum. With either of these rounds, I'd keep shots under 100 yrds. :shoot:

IMHO, the .357 magnum just doesn't have enough power for deer hunting, even out of a rifled carbine. :(

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
TD, Not really my choice for "me" to hunt with

even tho I often carry a 22mag on my 4 wheeler it is primarily for varmints types :)

I realize that a 357mag, even in my Ruger gp100, loaded with "deer stopper" type ammo (at least 500fps at 100 yds) will do the job within ranges, if placed correctly, I personally like something a bit stronger :)

miktom, somehow I really do not think that law/reg was developed and/or supported by the "dnr" or by the majority of "sportsman/hunters" ;)

leo

aaron batson

I have posted this several time. My son (Blake ) started out deer hunting at 8 years old. I bought him a NEF 357 mag single shot rifle. What an awesome little gun it turned out to be. We shoot Cor-bon 180 grain bullets out of it while deer hunting. He has killed several with it, all of which dropped in their tract, with complete pass thoughs. I also use it some and have killed several with it. I was really surprised at how hard it hits the deer. Unlike real fast bullets/calibers that burn most of their energy in the dirt behind the deer, the 357 rifle dumps the power into the animal. Now also remember we are hunting mature stands of woods with shots 100 yards or less.

Blake is very comfortable shooting it. I buy him boxes of 38 specials to practice with. He will run thru a box and enjoy shooting it fairly quickly. There is absolutly no recoil with this round. Then I step him up to the Cor-bons while hunting(he don't even know it), which still have minimal recoil. Bottom line is this - he is comfortable and confident in this gun, and never developed that fear of recoil by staring with it. Great little gun!

dog1

357 Mag for deer

AB,

Glad to hear that your son can take deer with the 357. I have never used one for deer, but have taken several wild hogs over the years with my 357 revolver. If my revolver with a 6 inch barrel can take hogs, I'm sure the rifle could and would do better. The best thing is, you're spending time with your son.

dog1

georgiaboy

I have killed 1 deer with my 6" revolver in .357. I will admit that it wouldn't be the first gun I grabbed, but I think a .357 in a rifle/carbine length will do fine. I mainly load my own but Cor Bon ammo is great stuff if you are looking for ammo to try.

How2fish

I guess it will do the trick if you keep it within range...the only deer I ever killed with a .357 was with a pistol.Shot a doe in the side of the head at about 3 yards...what a mess!! Aaron that gun/round sound like a great gun for a young hunter..!