.38 special shotshells

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have a few boxes of Speer shot capsules for the 44 but have not loaded anything yet.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
22 mag mini shotshells revolver for me...snakes and rats DRT.....

Heck specialk is correct as I have ben using my Colt Frontier Scout with the 22 Magnum cylinder since back in the early to mid 1970's. It will easy kill rats, snakes, birds, and even one possum once upon a time with rat-shot as I call it.

Back in the 1970's, the original "rat-shot" was a CCI 20-round box that was called a 1/8 oz, #11 shot pellet, that had approximately 172 pellets. I still have one box left of those.

Currently, I also have a few CCI 20-round boxes of 1/8 oz, #12 shot, approximately 175 pellets per box. I also have some "CURRENT" 20-round boxes that I recently purchased. The specs is 1/8 oz, #12 shot, with approximately 250 pellets.

It is surprising what capabilities that the original cartridges had as once I killed a quail as it was flying away and my neighbor witnessed it. It was just a reaction at the time.

Check out this link below and scroll down to post #5 and read the surprising details about it. Fried Quail is sure enough delicious !!!

https://forum.gon.com/threads/finally-got-my-heritage.987041/#post-12687056

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I have .22lr shot shells.
I got spoiled carrying the .38 derringer in my pocket everywhere doing chores.
Smallest .22 I have is a 3 screw Ruger Single Six

sleepr71

In general....What’s the effective range of .22Mag & .38/357 “rat shot” ? I’d love to pick up a 2-3” Ruger LCR as my out working/beat around/EDC farm Gun vs the NEF 22 mag I carry now.

Dr. Strangelove

In general....What’s the effective range of .22Mag & .38/357 “rat shot” ? I’d love to pick up a 2-3” Ruger LCR as my out working/beat around/EDC farm Gun vs the NEF 22 mag I carry now.

I don't think that the "rat shot" will cycle the Ruger LCR, I might be wrong but I'd be surprised if it did.

notnksnemor

I don't think that the "rat shot" will cycle the Ruger LCR, I might be wrong but I'd be surprised if it did.

LCR is a revolver.

Distance will depend on barrel length.
The reason I like the .38 is the increased shot size.
If memory serves #8 in the .38 and #11 or #12 in the rimfire.
My derringer will dispatch most snakes or rats to about 30 feet without fail.

Dr. Strangelove

LCR is a revolver.

Distance will depend on barrel length.
The reason I like the .38 is the increased shot size.
If memory serves #8 in the .38 and #11 or #12 in the rimfire.
My derringer will dispatch most snakes or rats to about 30 feet without fail.

Whoops! I was thinking of my old LCP, my bad, thanks for the catch.

Rich M

I'd rather have a SS revolver for a beater gun. Get a SS 357 mag.

Can't beat an LCP for every day use either.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
By the prices, I've obviously had these a while.View attachment 1078933View attachment 1078932

What is really funny is that the CCI 22 Magnum shot shells of 1/8 oz, #12 shot, 175 pellets approximately ALSO HAVE A PRICE TAG ON IT FOR $ 5.47 EACH. THE BAR CODE NUMBER IS SHOWING # 017327.

I write down the date of purchase on most ammunition especially during the past several years BUT I didn't write it on this box. However, I looked today through some other ammunition and apparently I spent a bunch as there is lots of it that shows the date of 2/16/2009 on the boxes of various calibers.

nmurph

Dang, y'all a bunch of scaredies. I couldn't tell you the last time I've killed a snake. I caught a Banded Watersnake in my pool a couple of weeks ago. He got taken to the woods and released. I've passed on countless EDB...just leave them alone and let them be. Snakes have a place and serve a purpose.

RFWobbly

.38 special shotshells
Anybody ever reloaded them? Is it cost effective?
Yes. I bought the capsule kit from CCI awhile back and loaded some with Unique and #9 shot. At $13 for 50, loading your own is VERY cost effective. And easy if you already own a 9mm or 38/357 Taper Crimp die. The kit comes with complete loading instructions and recipes.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010935619

Jester896

Senior Clown
aren't the blue CCI #9 shot and the red #4 shot?
I have thought about loading some in the past. I used to shoot escaped quail with them in my .44. Last box I bought say past control on them and were $17.95 10 ct.

notnksnemor

Dang, y'all a bunch of scaredies. I couldn't tell you the last time I've killed a snake. I caught a Banded Watersnake in my pool a couple of weeks ago. He got taken to the woods and released. I've passed on countless EDB...just leave them alone and let them be. Snakes have a place and serve a purpose.

I'm talking about in my yard.
I live on a 12 acre pond and there are some cottonmouths in the swamp end that I'm sure are drawing social security.
Venomous snakes do not get a pass in my yard.
Everywhere else, yes.

notnksnemor

This was pretty informative:

Lukikus2

Excellent load for in house use. The holes are easy to patch. Works for wood spiders too.

Always knew it as rat shot growing up.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Back when the crimped .22 shotshells were sold in 50rnd boxes and cheap (1980s) as a kid I used to jump shoot grasshoppers. It was fun.